Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

1957 RCA Westcott

Just found a working roundie on e-bay item 280225123738 for sale. Location Milwaukee, wisconsin. Rembrant indoor aerial included.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile I just won that 1957 Westcott on eBay:-)

Hello, I have just won that 1957 RCA CTC 5 Westcott color TV on eBay just this past Wednesday I should hve it later this month when it arrives here in North Bay later this month or early June after I send $1525 US including shipping for this beauty Derek-the new kid on the block
Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congrats on the win. Its a nice set! Welcome aboard! Your in good company here.
-Tony
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the welcome-those CTC 5s are rare

Hello, thanks for the warm welcome Those CTC 5 color TVs are sure pretty rare these days. I talked to the seller about the person whom he got it from and it was actually found in the pantry of an old British lady's house about a decade ago where it remained forgotten for decades. There is also a little damage on the top of the TV from a plant or something wet that sat on it. I also got an unsold December 9, 1952 Electrohome I picked up in Hamilton, Ontario just on April 19th of this year as well too There was also another CTC 5 that sold on eBay not that long ago for over $1000 US as well and this one was missing it's back board. The Westcott I just got also has UHF as well-now that's pretty rare for a 1950's TV set as most 1950's TV sets were VHF-only with an option to add a UHF converter. UHF tuners became manditory in US made TV sets in 1962 while UHF tuners became manditory in TV sets in Canada in 1970. Transister/solid state color TVs started to appear in about 1967 or so here in North America
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
a- v- karma member

Welcome Electrohome,

There are at least two of us Electrohome TV fans here in Canada.
Check my earlier posts and you will find we do have some interests in
common. That 1952 set you have is surely a piece of history, take
good care of it! Cheers!
Audiokarma
Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile That Electrohome is a Chippendale 21

Hello, that 12/9/52 Electrohome I have is a Chippendale 21 made right here in Kitchener, Ontario. It also still has the dealer hangtag/booklet which is quite interesting as well too. It will most likely go to a museum after I pass away of old age. I am only 30 right now though. Here in North Bay, I pretty well have to hide most of my stuff because of several bad run-ins with Rebuilt Resoures-a non profit organization here in North Bay that used to smash up a lot of old TVs in the 1990's and they haven't taken TVs since 1999. The lady, Maureen Brazeau, who runs Rebuilt Resouces is not a very nice person in this area and it's people like her that have made my early 20's really hard. It's like she owns North Bay-, I really have to defend my right to collect and research TV in this city Cheers Derek.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 AM
a- v- karma member

Hello again Electrohome,

I do sympathize with you, but after all an old TV is not like a motor car
lying on your lawn. Is there any law/by-law in your area against holding
old electronic devices in the privacy of your home?

By the way, I do have a 1956 Viking Ultronic 21-inch TV (90-deg. tube)
and a 1960 Electrohome Tampico 21-inch TV (110-deg. tube), with
fairly similar circuitry. Both are resoration projects. The Electrohome
was purchased new by my parents (as a leftover floor demo, I guess) in
August, 1961 for $360, which was a lot of money at the time. The
Viking was found in the estate of an elderly lady, a friend of my mother's,
who was leaving her house last fall. She claims that the TV was last used to
watch news of the Kennedy assassination in 1963. I found the power
cord nicely coiled as they do at the factory. I have yet to do any testing
on this unit.

Bye for now.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

What you say about TVs being in the privacy of our home is true for most of us, but was not true for the TV repairman whose shop I cleaned out. His house, in a rural area, had electronic and other stuff all over the yard, including CRTs face down. I think that had he the "cannot throw stuff away" syndrome mentioned in another active AudioKarma thread.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

North Bay is the same as every other city on TVs

Hello, there are no bylaws against collecting old electronics here in North Bay at all. It's the same as in every other city regarding old electronic equipment. It's that stupid Rebuilt Resources organization although they backed off the TVs in 1999 in about May/June of that year. Maureen Brazeau has also won a busness award last year and that really ticks me off and it's people like us who work 10 times harder to preserve TV history for future generations. Ya know there's an antique shop/shoe store called Deegan's and Ralph Diegal who runs the shoe store has been since December, 1946 and still is today faithfully and is a World War II Vetern in our Royal Navy and yet Maureen Brazeau gets the award when it really should go to Ralph Diegal for outstanding service to our country and the city of North Bay. I have Asperger's Syndrome-a type of high-functioning Autism and was also put down by Maureen Brazeau because of my disability and I should really be honored for my hard work in fighting my disability as well too. Just check out Rainman w/Tom Cruise and Dustan Hoffman and alas, you will have an idea what I suffer through daily. Cheers, Derek.