Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
No, for all intents and purposes it's a CTC-4 as far as demodulation is concerned. Only thing borrowed from the 21-CT-55 is the horizontal output transformer.
I see they used 6AZ8's in that model. I just looked over the Sams a bit, to see what that set was all about. Does the CRT have a EIA274 on it? Just wondering.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I see they used 6AZ8's in that model. I just looked over the Sams a bit, to see what that set was all about. Does the CRT have a EIA274 on it? Just wondering.
No idea, but the base says Sylvania and it's engraved with a serial number. 21AXP22, not 21AXP22A so I know it's original.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Does the CRT have a EIA274 on it? Just wondering.
I'll bet it has a 312 on it somewhere as does my Philco-branded 21AXP22 from my TV-123. Or, maybe Sylvania didn't bother to EIA code their own CRTs?

Pete
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
God, I hate smokers sets....

^ That was one wipe with bathroom cleaner. I had already gone over the whole cabinet at this point, and filled an entire trash bag with what used to be white paper towels. Then it dawned on me to just stick the rest of the parts in the tub, and let the cleaner soak in a while.

Simple Green really works on tobacco tar. Believe me. I work at a high-end retail tobacconist/cigar lounge. We use it to clean the collection cell, power supply, and HV leads on our UAS smokeeter, which, being a HV based device loves to attract tar to the power supply and HV leads. I keep a small stereo tube amp down there as well, and it also recieves a monthly simple green wipedown.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 04-26-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 AM

I don't see any EIA code on the CRT, I just checked. Just the engraved Sylvania neck, that's it. There were some stickers on the metal bell, but just the same safety stickers they all have on them. Brand neutral.

EDIT: got the Sams folder in the mail today, thanks WISCOJIM!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM

More recapping tonight, I installed some of the stuff that came in from Mouser. Also had to remove the focus control, it was seized. Took it apart and it's actually in pretty good shape electrically, just the shaft was a little frozen from corrosion. Gonna polish the shaft a little, grease and reinstall it.

Still need the rest of the caps from Allied, mainly the .22uf ones. After those and the new lytics are installed, I think it will be ready for a slow run up on the variac to form the new caps. If things look good from there, I still need to test the Corotron regulator in another set to see if it still works. If not, I'll have to install a 6BK4 regulator mod to control high voltage. Probably won't happen till next weekend though, I have something going on in Wisconsin this weekend.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very cool. Nice to see this set being brought back to life. Can't wait top see the picture!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Probably won't happen till next weekend though, I have something going on in Wisconsin this weekend."

Hey Nick,

I think you have something happening in Hilliard, Ohio next weekend.

-Steve D.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Damn, that is this coming weekend! Weekend after next, then!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great Set.

I used to service Sylvanias in the early 70's. Not many roundies back then but I had a few that were newer than yours. Great snag.
Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Recapping continues, I decided to do all the lytics in the power supply.

Here's the old ones, with cardboard removed. One was already replaced, guess which one was overheating? My guess is the one with the tar that dripped all the way down to the bottom. That same one was oozing crud out the bottom as well.

For the main quad of filters, I opted to saw them apart and put new Nichicons into the remaining wafers. This method works well when you have cardboard covers to go over the tops like I have here, or when you just plain don't care what the finished product looks like. Pushing the leads through the wafer holds them securely in place, so no glue is needed.

With the cardboard back on, no one will ever know by looking at it from the top.

The remaining small value caps were soldered in underneath the chassis, since there is ample room on this particular set. It's nice to have some space to work with here, RCA's are typically pretty cramped under the hood.

Here's the video processing side of the chassis, with new caps installed. The only ones I have left are the .22uf ones, they should be coming from Allied early this week.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM

I used the variac to form the new caps today, everything went as expected. Nothing blew up or got hot, and it looks like the power supply is working like it's supposed to. I also have a nice horizontal waveform going to the output tube grid, so next time I power it up I'll likely test HV output and find out if that pesky Corotron tube does it's job. Hope those caps come soon...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nick, how do you get the cardboard covers off the capacitors intact? I could not figure out how on my RCA 8TS30.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have usually been able to pull cardboard covers off after softening the tarry adhesive with a heat gun. Some of that tar is really tenacious, but with patience the heat gun usually works. In a couple of cases I got impatient and slit the cover up one side with a razor to speed the process. After restuffing, I glued the cover back together and put the slit side where it wasn't visible.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is the type number of the Corotron tube? I've got loads of TV tube pulls.
Audiokarma