Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

My uncle had a circa 1980 Zenith console (9-160 module) that used an ultrasonic remote with a power button, channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down, and mute. The set had OSD and a RAT keyboard, behind a door on the front of the TV.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
My uncle had a circa 1980 Zenith console (9-160 module) that used an ultrasonic remote with a power button, channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down, and mute. The set had OSD and a RAT keyboard, behind a door on the front of the TV.
That's what two of my remotes have. I didn't know that remotes lacking a RAT keypad were supplied with TVs that do have one.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned

I know that Sony (or Somy if you watch enough anime to notice that anime producers subsitute one letter out on name brand products to avoid the copyright issue) used utlrasonic remotes on their Trinitron TVs up until the late 1980s.
I know because my aunt lived in an old house in Fort Wayne, Indiana for a while that used to be owned by an older gentleman that when he moved out left a lot of stuff behind including a 1987 vintage Sony Trinitron Color Television that had the old push-button style tuner (the one where you had to use a special plastic "screwdriver" to set the channels), and it had its original Ultrasonic Remote with it and it took 2 "AA" batteries to run it and it had a power button, channel up and down, volume up and down, and a mute button.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Interesting, I have a Sony ultrasonic remote with four vertically arranged round buttons for power, volume, VHF and UHF. Got to wonder what period that is from. My 1987 Trinitron has fully electronic tuning and uses an infrared remote.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Interesting, I have a Sony ultrasonic remote with four vertically arranged round buttons for power, volume, VHF and UHF. Got to wonder what period that is from. My 1987 Trinitron has fully electronic tuning and uses an infrared remote.
I remember those, mid to late 70's IIRC.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know someone who used to work for RCA around 1980. RCA was wanting to make an IR based remote, and the people at the manufacturing design location in Indy designed a big circuit that essentially took the ultrasonic signals and instead of using an acoustic ultrasound maker, modulated the IR LED with the same signals. My friend designed a remote that used a simple low power microprocessor, a "COPS" chip IIRC. That chip was programmed to produce digitally coded IR modulation with the IR LED. His needed only one chip, and a bunch of buttons and an IR LED, vs the other design that had tons of parts in it. Indy didn't want to use my friend's design, as it was "not invented here". Well, there was a shootout of sorts done with a pair of TVs and associated remote designs out in the parking lot on a sunny day. My friend didn't think either would work, but his did work well, and the other design failed badly... And my friend's design was much cheaper to make.

This was that remote, it was big, but nearly empty. It was big as they expected it needed to be, to house all the stuff of the other design. And they weren't going to toss 100,000 of these cases they already made...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
I bought the high-end Sony Profeel monitor and tuner in early 1982, and they used an infrared remote control. So, at least their top-of-the-line equipment was already IR as of 1981-82.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a 1979 Sylvania with ultrasonic remote: channel up/down, volume up/down, mute, on/off. Channels were selected by a motor-operated turret tuner. After a while we had upgraded cable so it sat on channel 3 all the time anyway. Jingling keys or the vacuum cleaner would make it change channels.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 PM
sampson159

i had a 1980 superset with remote that was the same way.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Australian Young'un

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Robb, one way to test that remote is to push the buttons around your nearest cat...my tomcat really doesn't like the sound they make!
Our dogs absolutely HATE the sound of an ultra-sonic remote! The sound must really hurt their ears or something!

Chris
Audiokarma
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I have a Zenith 852-240 ultrasonic remote tester. It's supposed to be hooked to a frequency counter but it's fine on its own for basic testing as it has a LED that lights with sound detection.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey
Late to the thread!
Alls I know is that the RCA chassis CTC-97 has a 2 or 3 button ultrasonic remote. Mine's from 1980. It has been in storage for a few years, after I replaced the delay line and did some other basic chassis work to it. It was a thrift find and made a great pic after some surgery to the circuitry. I had some great screenshots of it, but they are not accessible due to the server crash, and the fact that I delete the 'masters'.
I have never seen any brand tv with an ultrasonic remote control, past 1980.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Contrast this with Zenith and Panasonic. I have owned examples of both with IR remotes from 81 ad 82 respectively. Remember the Panny 19" set with the IR remote which popped into the front of the front bezel? It was a ColorPilot. That was a cool set I shouldn't have trashed. Or the 1981 Zenith 19" with the green LED channel readout and the early 'computer space command' silver remote, which pre-dated the early 80s Zeniths with the yellow LED channel numbers. The latter sets had a slightly different remote and had the controls behind a door which covered the entire right side of the tv's front.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Hey
Late to the thread!
Alls I know is that the RCA chassis CTC-97 has a 2 or 3 button ultrasonic remote. Mine's from 1980. It has been in storage for a few years, after I replaced the delay line and did some other basic chassis work to it. It was a thrift find and made a great pic after some surgery to the circuitry. I had some great screenshots of it, but they are not accessible due to the server crash, and the fact that I delete the 'masters'.
I have never seen any brand tv with an ultrasonic remote control, past 1980.
I saw pics of a CTC-97 set that uses a four-button ultrasonic remote with separate volume up and volume down buttons that also control power on and off. Other than the control panel it was identical to my 1978 CTC-88 set.

I've seen three-button electronic ultrasonic remotes from about that era I guess, and I saw a two-button clicker from I have no idea when, but it had the newer RCA logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Contrast this with Zenith and Panasonic. I have owned examples of both with IR remotes from 81 ad 82 respectively. Remember the Panny 19" set with the IR remote which popped into the front of the front bezel? It was a ColorPilot. That was a cool set I shouldn't have trashed. Or the 1981 Zenith 19" with the green LED channel readout and the early 'computer space command' silver remote, which pre-dated the early 80s Zeniths with the yellow LED channel numbers. The latter sets had a slightly different remote and had the controls behind a door which covered the entire right side of the tv's front.
Just recently I saw a pic of a 1984 13" screen Panasonic with a remote slot. Looked a lot like a 19" screen Panasonic we had briefly before I had any control of TVs that were going in and out of my place. Not sure if that had a remote slot though. I'm familiar with both types of Zenith remotes mentioned, I have a NOS silver ultrasonic unit with Space Phone. It was either that or a zoom button I've noticed.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-08-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
The lead ear.

My parents had a 19/20" Mitsubishi that had a 6 button ultrasonic remote. Made in the late seventies or early eighties.
Audiokarma