Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Issues with reinstalling Echolink software on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Hi,

I have been trying for quite some time to reinstall the Echoilink amateur radio software (Qtel) on my Dell OptiPlex 755 computer running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with no luck. I had EL on this computer (and it worked very well) when I was running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (the previous version before the newest one, the name of which I cannot recall offhand as I write this), but I had a problem with the computer afterward that required the entire operating system, including my install of EL (Qtel), to be completely erased by the person who was working on my system at the time.

To run the latest version of Echolink, I have tried the Ubuntu Crossover program, again with no results; I was sure this program would allow me to run Echolink on Ubuntu, but it doesn't work. I have also tried to download the Echolink software as a separate program; however, although the software itself downloaded perfectly well and should have worked, I received a message on my screen asking for a password, which I do not have. This missing password seems to be the only thing standing between me and a fully operational Echolink program. How do I get this password? The message I receive when trying passwords I remember (I have used Echolink for quite a while) is always "Sorry. Try again." Is there a way to find the correct password or even to download Qtel without a password? I realize the latter may be risky, but I am just about at my wits' end trying to download and use the software.

I also do not understand for the life of me why the Ubuntu CrossOver program will not allow me to download, install and use Echolink. I have installed EL on both my phone and my tablet without issues (the software works very well on both), but it simply will not reinstall on my computer. Is there something about the newest version of Ubuntu I am missing or do not know about that is standing squarely between me and a functional Echolink install? The only thing I can think of is that the latest version of EL will work with phones and tablets, but not with computers running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Is there something about Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (and possibly later versions of the OS) that is incompatible with Echolink, or vice-versa?

Thanks much.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-12-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:35 PM
M is for Memory

You could always back up your files, create an install DVD or USB thumb drive for the older version of Ubuntu and install that (make sure it is a version still supported)...back in college when I knew almost nothing about computers I did some reading and figured out how to do that to make a media PC/emergency backup for my flakey school issued laptop out of a junk desktop without harddrive I found on the side of the road.

You gotta check if the OS or the echolink software is asking you for a password...If it is the OS it's possible your computer guy made himself the administrator of your PC and might be remotely using it for things without your permission.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4