Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 AM
AK Member

How NOT to Re-cap a Radio

Not too long ago I acquired a Westinghouse H-126 tube radio that displays some of the worst workmanship I've come across in quite some time. The radio had supposedly been "serviced", and now "plays extremely well." While the radio does work, after a fashion, it still has an intermittent pop that sounds suspiciously like one of those old wax/paper capacitors arcing out.

This is a beautiful radio from the outside, but after I dug into its innards, I was dismayed to see how poorly it had been serviced. Someone had obviously performed an ass/2 re-capping job, and the result would almost be humorous, if it weren't so depressing. Nevertheless, I resolved to keep my chin up, and remember Carlson's Consolation:

Nothing is ever a complete failure; it can always serve as a bad example.

So, with that sentiment in mind, I've attached some pictures that show How Not To Re-cap A Radio.

I should mention first of all that, except for rare, museum-quality radios, I have no reservations at all about "spoiling" a vintage radio by installing modern components. These things were designed to play, and I think that we honor their designers by taking whatever steps are required to keep them playing. It's just that I think that we should also exercise care in seeing that the job is done in a professional and workmanlike manner.

In that regard, I try to keep new all new components beneath the chassis. To me, this means leaving an original, above-the-chassis electrolytic mechanically intact, and taking care to position the individual capacitors that will replace it down below. Considering the rarity/expense of new multi-section electrolytics, and the relative small size of modern components, this is really the easiest and best way to go.

Anyway, as you can see from the first picture, this guy chose to replace the original 3-section filter cap with an ill-fitting 2-section. Notice that its diameter is greater than the original, to the extent that it now crowds the output transformer, and leans drunkenly to one side. Also, he installed no clamp or other proper means to hold the new can in place. It's being held in position by the leads soldered to it's terminals. Great.

The second picture shows the underside of the chassis where he located the third section of the filter cap. Notice the "creative" lead dressing, and solder joints hanging out in mid-air. There is a "flagpole" of bus wire sticking straight up from a solder lug, around which another lead is hooked like a cane, with the barest film of solder holding it in place. Notice also the "wax molded paper capacitor" lurking nearby. He replaced a total of eleven caps in this set, but left a total of three paper caps untouched.

The third picture shows the other end of the chassis, where more creative lead-dressing and solder jointage are in evidence: globby, blob-like joints with random bits of wire poking out like porcupine quills, and enough singed components and insulation to make me wonder if he didn't use a branding iron instead of a soldering iron.

I suppose a person could argue that it really doesn't matter as long as the radio "works". Who's ever going to look inside anyway? Well, I always do. It's probably just my imagination, but a radio that's been neatly and properly serviced somehow just sounds better, and I actually enjoy listening to it more than one that I know is hiding the evidence of someone's botched attempt at restoration. [/rant]

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 05-11-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Tube Marantzed

Yep, I agree with your sentiments regarding recapping a radio. And indeed the pictures show a rather sloppy job by the previous repair person. I've come across quite a few poorly repaired radios and tube amps over the years. The worst thing I see is new caps wired with the old ones still in the circuit! A time bomb waiting to explode. Cold solder joints are also common. My old Hallicrafters Sky Buddy has a "kludge" filter cap. Been too lazy to get to the set and get the job done right I'll do it one of these days...

My best restoration job thus far is my Fisher 500C (pic of innards below)

Kind regards,
crooner

Old 05-04-2004, 02:59 AM
Once Ran Amok in Kent

Nice job!! You all have some serious patience...
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.
--Bhagavad-Gita
Old 05-04-2004, 07:23 AM
heathkit tv

I suppose you could do better if you were blind too?

Anthony
Old 05-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Paula- Is this one of those little "Refrigerator" or "Little Jewel" Westinghouses ? Neat little set. Mine is ivory, & really does look like a little refrigerator. Well, sorta, anyway...-Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Peanut Head

Yep, I can relate! I see this sort of thing in tube guitar amps all the time. I spend more time cleaning up after someone elses mess than I do on the actual task at hand.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:02 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy G
Paula- Is this one of those little "Refrigerator" or "Little Jewel" Westinghouses ?
Yes, it is, and this one is ivory-colored as well. Or, will be...

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I think they date from 1945-46. -Sandy G.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
<----Zenith C845

Sheeesh! That has to be one of the worst restoration jobs I've ever seen. I have no quarrel with using newer components to replace old obsolete ones (except, as was noted in another post, when restoring very rare equipment), but as was noted, the new filter cap doesn't fit the original mounting as it should, and those solder joints...again I say, sheeesh!--it's a wonder the radio works at all.

Cold solder joints always mean trouble eventually, and those untrimmed component leads at the solder joints at terminals, tie points, etc. under the chassis are open invitations to shorts, not to mention the sloppy appearance of the "repair" itself. (I'm not crazy about those unsoldered leads either.) Whomever "serviced" this radio did so in a horribly slap-dash manner, and, of course, has quite a bit to learn about proper soldering techniques, not to mention substitution practices. This person has an analogue in the person of Oscar Madison in the 1970s TV series "The Odd Couple"--they are both sloppy as all get out. Crooner did a much, much better job restoring his Fisher receiver.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-05-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Tube Marantzed

Thanks,
I am no pro, but I am quite meticulous, and the Fisher was really worth the extra effort, IMO.

Here's a close up shot:

Audiokarma