Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

TVs got a new stand

No more cloths drawer. My TV now has a stand. I was going to get the one that was offered to me, but this one was in the garage, and really needed a place, or it was going to be trashed, and frankly it looks nice. Just the right size for the TV too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...newtvsetup.jpg

Last edited by Celt; 11-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

That stand is perfect. Looks nice. Loving the SNES and the Genesis too. Your little gaming setup kinda looks like my tv stand with my snes, dreamcast, and ps3.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, I also have a game box for the gaming setup. Stores all my cartridges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...on/gamebox.jpg
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice. =) I see n64 games, genesis, 32x, and snes. I have that snes/gameboy cart as well somewhere. Didn't it allow color as well for the original gameboy games? Btw I see you have MK1 for snes which turned out to be a disaster didn't it? At least they learned from their mistake with MK2 =P
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

It adds colors to games that allow it, but in a very weak way. The game boy color did it better, and it guessed at it.

MK2 on the SNES is just foolish. Same music every stage, and the controller lags so bad it's unplayable. Genesis version of MK1, more playable, but can be FAR too easy.
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
<----Zenith C845

I like your setup, Brandon. Much better, IMO, than the arrangement you had, with the TV on top of your dresser; the new stand also looks much cleaner, better organized, especially now with the case you have your game cartridges in. You seem to be like me -- organized, doesn't like clutter.

BTW, I thought you had cable on your TV. I saw a DigitalStream DTV converter on top of the set. Did you cancel your cable already?

I had a stand like yours for my stereo system (a Zenith four-mode integrated system, much larger than the Aiwa system I have now) some years ago. Stereo was on top, an external cassette deck was on the shelf directly below, and the speakers were at either side. Left it at the house when I moved nearly 13 years ago. My present video installation (flat screen TV, VCR and Blu-ray) is mounted on a utility cart converted to an entertainment center; TV on top, VCR on the shelf below, and Blu-ray below that. The cart has hidden casters, so it looks that much nicer in my apartment. It's probably the closest I'll ever come to having a console TV here, as this apartment is much too small for a large combo set.

Here's a picture of my video system. Insignia 19" flat screen on top, Panasonic PV-4022 VCR (with cat and dog figurines either side) just below, LG BP-220 Blu-ray on lower shelf, and an unused storage area below that. (My DVD and VHS collection is in my bedroom; no room for it near the TV.) The entertainment center is in the center of the photo, which also shows part of my computer installation. The image on the computer monitor is a Windows XP screen saver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.JPG (28.5 KB, 34 views)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 11-03-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Removed off-topic text; added description of attached photo
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea, that rock station is still on the same frequency, but you need an HD radio receiver and tune to HD2. But they don't play good stuff anymore.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm confused... Orlando or Boston?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_%28FM%29

jr
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I'm confused... Orlando or Boston?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_%28FM%29

jr
I read the Wikipedia article on WBCN, and found that these call letters are in fact now in place in Boston on an all-digital (no longer OTA) station. The bumper sticker that is/was on Brandon's (lnx64) dresser drawer is now out of date. Because WBCN is now fully digital, it no longer broadcasts on 98.5 MHz, but is now on an HD subchannel of Boston's WBZ-FM and one other Boston station.

The station that was WBCN in Orlando is now WTKS, FM talk radio -- with an HD radio stream, as Brandon noted. If there is a link to WTKS's HD stream (as there may be and probably is on RadioStationWorld.com and also RadioLocator.com), it should be listenable on your computer as well, so one does not necessarily need an HD receiver to hear the digital stream. In fact, if you have your computer's sound card connected to a good stereo system, as I do, that station, and all others with Internet audio streams, will sound much better than they would if listened to on a standard HD receiver; those often have puny or at least smaller than average speakers. Of course, the best sound system on earth cannot compensate for poorly chosen music on any given station, and radio stations do change formats every now and again; in its early years, for example, WBCN in Boston was a classical station, its call sign standing for "Boston Concert Network". Wikipedia's article on the station has much more information on WBCN's history and current format.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

What does a warm tv, automatic power-strip, tv stand and bugs/mold under a leaky toilet have in common???
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
The station that was WBCN in Orlando is now WTKS, FM talk radio -- with an HD radio stream, as Brandon noted.
According to the listing from Ibiquity, WKTS-HD2 is a rebroadcast of WFLF-AM(news-talk):

Quote:
Orlando, FL 104.1 WTKS-HD FM Talk Clear Channel
Orlando, FL 104.1-2 WTKS-HD2 FM News/Talk WFLF-AM Clear Channel
Also, the FCC shows no record of WTKS ever being WBCN
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....llsign=WTKS-FM

jr
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got confused about WBCN. I thought it was "O-Rock", which is an HD2 station now that has alternative rock, but they aren't WBCN, that's WOCL.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

What model of Pioneer LDP do i see there in the lower right?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's a CLD-2090.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Made a video earlier, showing what else I did in the room..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEW7PCq2U5M

Kinda gotta play tetris to fit everything.
Audiokarma