Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I wanted to bring up the topic of notch and comb filters.

I found that my Sony PVM monitor, the prop in the X-Files earlier seasons, doesn't appear to use ANY filter.. There's dot crawl in horizontal AND vertical areas, and sometimes even just flat out "in" a color.

Wonder why a PVM wouldn't have any filter at all.
It's been a long time since I fiddled with a professional monitor, but I recall one with a switch to turn off all subcarrier filtering (I think this one only had a notch, no comb) - but you would only use that setting on monochrome.

I have seen some receivers/monitors where the comb filter wasn't exactly nulled, so some dot crawl was visible. The question is, how strong is it on your PVM? Does it seem very strong (like the filter doesn't work at all) or maybe not so strong (like it needs adjustment/repair)? [There's no way for me to describe in words what it looks like with no filter at all, except to say that it could look like the black dots are fully black on strong colors - and the visibility also depends on how small the CRT spot size is.]
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

It has dots all over the picture where there is color. Not completely black dots. Just darker dots.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
after all, many flat screens are used with 5.1 (or more) channel sound systems. The owners of these fancy (to say nothing of expensive) multi-channel audio systems have a right to expect excellent audio quality, but the sound output is only as good as the quality of the sound carrier of the transmitted signal.
Dolby 5.1 decoder-amplifier systems came out around the late 80's- mid 90's and can be found used for cheap. I got my newer Sony unit(I have another that is not used as an amp, but rather for it's built in A/V switcher) for only 12$ at a thrift.

Good quality A/V equip can be had cheap if one does not restrict it to being new, and keeps an eye out for it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4