Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bpc xl100

I have in storage, an RCA XL-100. It's a early 90's model and is a BPC.

Has digital tuning, built in CC, and probably one of the worst designed chassis I have ever seen. Every single TV I have seen with this chassis, always have the same issue, won't power on, and require a transistor to be replaced, as they are cooked, literally, the PCB is burnt where the transistor is.

I have replaced mine since it died too. The transistor is only for starting the TV, because once the TV is on, it can be removed and it'll stay on.

Now, the TV still works. But, I honestly don't have space for it anymore. I have the original remote somewhere in the garage.

Should I keep it, or does anyone want it? And if I keep it, are the early 90's XL-100 BPC any good besides the starting issues?

Not my picture, but this is the model: http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4615430_f520.jpg
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a 13" set that uses either the TX81 or TX82 series chassis and I've replaced a lot of those transistors. Other than the transistor in which you speak of, those sets could be real dogs. And, I'll also warn you that the main filter cap will retain a full charge even after the TV has been unplugged for an extended period of time. Discharge it or you'll get a nasty shock. On those, I never discharged them by dead-shorting the terminals. I always used some kind of load, such as a high wattage lightbulb or a high value power resistor. I guess if I needed a 13" TV and if I had one of these on hand, I'd use it until it died; but, I wouldn't make too much of an effort to get it going. There are loads of other '90's BPC TV's out there that use more straightforward circuit designs that are not as hard to service. By the time this set was made, GE/RCA was owned by Thomson and their quality had really gone down. About the time this set came out, Thomson introduced the CTC17x series that had the bad tuner ground problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have no idea what tuner this one has. But I was able to find pics of my actually TV. I fixed this TV I think some time in 2005-2006..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/fixedtv1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/fixedtv2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/fixedtv3.jpg

This was literally the 2nd TV I ever owned. It replaced the old Sears I miss so much.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

That set uses a standard tuner; so, no bad ground connections with that one. The larger screen CTC17x chassis TV's used what Thomson called a "tuner on board". That simply means that the tuner is an integral part of the main PC board. The problem came in where the metal shielding that surrounds the tuner was soldered to the chassis. Over time and the heating/cooling process of using the TV, the solder connections would break loose and cause all sorts of problems ranging from a snowy picture, insufficient vertical sweep, no power-up, and eventual corruption of the EEPROM IC. Once the tuner problem was fixed, they were usually decent sets; but, the chassis design was not the best. It wasn't until the CTC203 came along, sometime around '99, that it finally dawned on Thomson that it would be better to go back to using a seperate tuner module that soldered to the chassis. Actually, the first run CTC203's used the integrated "tuner on board" tuner. It wasn't until later that RCA went back to using a seperate tuner.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure how they thought that was a good idea. I was never really a fan of the Thomson/GE RCA.. Only the original RCA.
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a TV too
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool story bro. You sound mighty impressed by that.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

TX-81 or TX-82? Yuck. I hated those. The transistor, and IIRC a zener or two.
As for the CTC17x with "tuner on board", I questioned the guys at Thomson about whether that was a good idea early on and was assured that engineers who know a lot more than I do had checked it thoroughly and it would not have any problems. Lucky for me they were wrong; I made a buttload of money fixing them