Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 AM

Here in Atlanta we have the usual sports/talk/news AM stations. Lately however I have seen several interesting stations 'pop-up'. One at 1690 has an eclectic (to say the least) program. Seriously now when was the last time you heard Miles Davis on AM???

The last commercial classical station here was on AM. They switched formats years ago. Really miss that station.

Back in the '60s it seemed like all the top 40 stations were on AM. The avant-garde, 'underground' stations started showing up on FM. Now it would seem that that trend is reversing? At least in some way?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of your Collins, etc. boat anchors just yet. As I understand it, shortwave in the US isn't going to disappear any time soon; just standard AM broadcasting. Just think of what an outcry there would be from ham radio operators in this country if SW were legislated out of existence, and the ham bands reallocated to other services (the latter has happened on a very small scale here with part of the 220-MHz band, and could eventually happen with six meters as well, but to the best of my knowledge, all nine high-frequency ham bands, and most VHF-UHF bands, are still allocated to the Amateur Radio Service and are still in use). With over 640,000 amateur radio licensees in the US alone, the FCC probably wouldn't hear the end of it (if they reassigned the amateur frequencies, especially HF) for quite some time.
I don't think AM broadcasting will die anytime soon and will be with us for a long time to come, unless other factors some into play but that will require me to delve into the current realm of politics. Barring that, AM will be with us. Come to think of it, here in Pittsburgh, we lost both WAMO-AM and WAMO-FM, the only Black owned radio stations that cater mainly to Black listeners. One of our local, Pittsburgh, big-time Black businessmen, Eddie Edwards, recently bought a station to tap the recently abandoned Black market, it is a small, daytime, AMer on 660 kc, WPYT, 1400 watts day, 88 watts night.

AM does have it's main niche, talk, but there are plenty of local and music AMer's out there. I would hold up the headstone on AM radio, remember in places like Canada, it took government pressure to clear the AM band of the CBC but there are plenty of private AMer's in Canada as well.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei35guy View Post
Here in Atlanta we have the usual sports/talk/news AM stations. Lately however I have seen several interesting stations 'pop-up'. One at 1690 has an eclectic (to say the least) program. Seriously now when was the last time you heard Miles Davis on AM???

The last commercial classical station here was on AM. They switched formats years ago. Really miss that station.

Back in the '60s it seemed like all the top 40 stations were on AM. The avant-garde, 'underground' stations started showing up on FM. Now it would seem that that trend is reversing? At least in some way?
We have several music AM stations here in Pittsburgh including one in an alternate format.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of your Collins, etc. boat anchors just yet. As I understand it, shortwave in the US isn't going to disappear any time soon; just standard AM broadcasting. Just think of what an outcry there would be from ham radio operators in this country if SW were legislated out of existence, and the ham bands reallocated to other services (the latter has happened on a very small scale here with part of the 220-MHz band, and could eventually happen with six meters as well, but to the best of my knowledge, all nine high-frequency ham bands, and most VHF-UHF bands, are still allocated to the Amateur Radio Service and are still in use). With over 640,000 amateur radio licensees in the US alone, the FCC probably wouldn't hear the end of it (if they reassigned the amateur frequencies, especially HF) for quite some time.
Oh, I was being facetious...Plus, w/my bum leg, I couldn't manage to get 'em down to the street anyhow...The Collinses weigh nigh on to 90 lbs to begin with, that EK checks in at 150 or so. The '55 contract R-390A, Rick Mish offered me $5K or 2 of his museum-grade restorations for it, he said it was THAT good..I don't care if Angel Modulation completely dies, to me they're worth keepin' around just to see what incredibly intricate, fascinating pieces of an older technology they are...Rick told me once that an R-390A is half machine, half electronics, & that's about right. The geartrain looks more complicated than what you'd find in an expensive watch from a few decades back...The EK isn't quite as "mechanical" as an R-390A, but it still looks like it was designed by the same team that designed the Tiger tank, everything is about 17X as robust as it needs to be... The difference between these radios & consumer-grade stuff, really even high-end consumer items, is about like the difference between "Lightning" & "Lightning Bug"...Military-grade stuff is just built to a level that is "Off the Charts" compared to consumer-grade...When you look at the insides of an R-390A, & compare it to yr latest Gee-Whiz AM/FM/CD/Blu-ray/Ray-Gun/Whatever at Wally-World, or any electronics emporium, you just hafta shake yr head 'n' smile...Or grimace, as the case may be...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
a- v- karma member

two Montreal AM stations die the same day

Info 690 (French language all news) and AM 940 (earlier English
language all news, but lately a old hits music station) were both shut
down by parent company Corus News this morning at 10 AM EST,
both are currently sending a loop stating that the company was closing
the stations due to poor economic conditions, with operations to
continue on two existing FM outlets.

Final transmitter shutdown is scheduled for 7 PM tonight. These
two stations had been operating since around 1999 on two frequencies
earlier used by the CBC. I don't think these two spots will be taken
over by any Canadian broadcasters anytime soon!

Last edited by electroking; 01-29-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Audiokarma