Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

ATSC 3.0 broadcast demo at CES show

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...-at-ces/277694

A new DTV system being demo'ed at the CES. Looks like this might mean that the current ATSC broadcast standard might go away, rendering our current settop boxes and flat screens useless? Maybe requiring another generation of coupon elegable converter boxes (convert from ATSC 3.0 to old style ATSC and NTSC?). This new system uses OFDM, vs the 8VSB the current ATSC system uses. Which probably means it would be hard to have one 6MHz channel do ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 sharing via time slices.

More at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

IMHO a broadcast standard should last longer than 25 years...
Old 01-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Not sure how I got here.

If converter boxes come out, I don't think they'll do it coupon again. It'll just
be some cheap crap from china, and there most likely won't go back to NTSC, just ATSC
the previous, same for the next round. Personally I don't see it happening any time
soon..... Broadcasters don't have an appetite for the expenditures, nor the more
advanced stuff going into 3.0......

I think maybe 4 - 5 years down they might be thinking about making a new mess....
But they pretty much just got this one running.....

Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

They can keep it.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
IMHO a broadcast standard should last longer than 25 years...
I couldn't agree with you more.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Weird to see the Zenith name.

Ahn noted that this week’s Las Vegas broadcast comes on the heels of other broadcast field trials conducted in the United States and South Korea over the past 18 months by LG Electronics, its U.S. R&D Lab Zenith, and broadcast transmission equipment provider, GatesAir.

Development of ATSC 3.0 technologies represents the latest collaboration among LG, Zenith and GatesAir, co-inventors of the technology behind the ATSC A/153 mobile DTV standard, adopted in 2009. Zenith also submitted the core transmission system in the current DTV standard.
Audiokarma
Old 01-06-2016, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Older thread started here.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264281
Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 PM
DTV blows

Jeez, the OTA broadcasters complained like crazy because they had to switch from analog to digital at their expense, because ±85% of their audiences watch via cable. Now they'll have shell out millions again.

But... as long as any OTA converter box has line level video and audio outputs that will feed my VCR I won't care.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Jeez, the OTA broadcasters complained like crazy because they had to switch from analog to digital at their expense, because ±85% of their audiences watch via cable. Now they'll have shell out millions again.

But... as long as any OTA converter box has line level video and audio outputs that will feed my VCR I won't care.
Odds are next time around it will be HDMI only....Most players no longer have analog connections.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 AM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Odds are next time around it will be HDMI only....Most players no longer have analog connections.
That's something I've been meaning to look into. If most people don't use VCRs anymore, how do they record programs and give the recording media to someone else to watch? Here at home, I use my VCR upstairs connected to a roof antenna to record shows on VHS tapes that are watched on the TV downstairs, often more than once (movies, series, etc.).
If it's HDMI, how am I supposed to record shows?
Old 01-08-2016, 03:21 AM
M is for Memory

Your not supposed to record shows according to the copyright holders/film industry which are fighting to prevent the sale of any HD capable OTA recorders (They have Blu-ray recorders which are the HD equivalent of a VCR in most other countries). A DVD recorder or HTPC/DVR is the most modern thing that can do that, and cable/sat are trying to make it so that only their DVR capable cable boxes can record.

Most young people just stream the shows off Netflix and Hulu and could not be bothered to save any show on physical media....

Heck many modern TVs are barely supporting analog inputs anymore.

Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Young people have pretty much been programed to accept $/Streaming and $/Song
$/tv show too.... It's odd to hear of kids not care about making it to the tv at 8PM to
catch some show, but paying out the $1.99 to watch it at some odd time on a 3" or less
hand held screen, often while doing 3 other things as well..... But then, most of the kids
who do that - that I hear of, don't work for that $1.99, don't make the choice between
the tv show and gas in the tank, or something else.... Seems like a disconnect with
money, & value or something I don't get....

Lots of people don't collect physical media anymore, and are being shifted towards
paid subscription for anything entertainment wise. Not just cable, but music, tv,
movies also. You gotta wonder what the cord cutters are watching ? I guess most
have just switched cord types..... (Cable tv --> Netflix ?) The cord is still attached,
to your wallet, where it has always been.....

Yah, media producers really hated the VCR ! And they sure don't want anything like
that coming around again..... Especially with digital clarity..... A short while ago I was
thinking of getting a DVR there was a lot of stuff on the internet about saving the
files and moving them off to a separate HD and making it mobile. The unit of choice
was a Dish or Directv box. OS was Linux and there was several websites with files
to add to the system to make archiving easier..... It's still not a VCR and I don't
even know if that stuff is still around....

While it lasts I'm making VCR and DVD's of stuff on broadcast tv that I like, both
because I can, and because most new stuff made sucks more each year....
Movies too... Most of the ones we see now are off redbox, and we see lots that suck
so bad we don't finish some, and have no interest in watching them twice while
we got the disk for the night..... I can't imagine paying full theater price for some
of the disappointing crap they make today.....

Overboard is on tonight, now that's worth taping and worth $2. at redbox too..... Even
though we've seen it 20 times, It's a funny well made movie.... And now that we live
in Pigs-Snout NY it's even funnier !

Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Millennials, the 25 to 30 age bracket don't want to buy televisions or homes and they think it's to formal to email, hence all the texting. They don't want to be tied down to anything. They marry at a later age as well.

My theory is a young person today has come to grip with the fact that there is no job stability anymore. Young people will have to shift from employer to employer during their adult lifetime. This trend caught me toward the tail end of my career, but luckily, only had a few years before retirement back in 2009.

I would be interested in hearing young people's perspective.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
Millennials, the 25 to 30 age bracket don't want to buy televisions or homes and they think it's to formal to email, hence all the texting. They don't want to be tied down to anything. They marry at a later age as well.

My theory is a young person today has come to grip with the fact that there is no job stability anymore. Young people will have to shift from employer to employer during their adult lifetime. This trend caught me toward the tail end of my career, but luckily, only had a few years before retirement back in 2009.

I would be interested in hearing young people's perspective.
As a 24 year old it makes me want to own my own business more than than work for any corporation.

My dad has probably gotten at best 8 years of employment out of a company. For the first 11.5 years of my life he was able to keep employed in the Chicago area, but his second to last job there (which had been long/stable and upward mobile) was ended when the company was turned over to it's owner's dopey son who "wanted to do charity work" and sold the place to American Express who in a year had taken all the clients and dumped all the staff including dad (I hate AmEx for this piracy and the owner's son for enabling it)....Several of his previous jobs ended this way His next job lasted a ~year and ended when he refused to do the ILLEGAL cooking of books that they demanded....At that point the industry was in such a recession that we had to move to Florida for him to get work at a place I could write a book based on all the stories dad told (often angrily) from being a manager at. I HATED living in Florida the climate was murderous, the people (including people my age) were mean hateful assholes with no manners (even places where you were paying for hospitality they would treat each other and us like scum)...That mess dumped dad during the housing crisis with a expensive house that I had to finish the extensive remodel (which was practically my doing alone) myself (dad has never been a house or car guy so I'm usually the one drafted for the work HE should be doing) after helping a lot with the last house. After that he had a nice stable job in Wisconsin that ended last month with the company being so ruined by the ACA that a Saudi company bought it to strip it of it's significant land assets, can much of the staff, and spin the shaky business model off into it's own independent entity (that rent's it's facilities from the Saudis) to die slowly.....This nicely coincided with my college graduation spring of '15 (they kept him on extra months)....Completely messing up my plans for after college (planned to stay with the folks for cheap rent until I had paid off my student loans and saved to buy a home outright).....This job and the last one the companies screwed them selves by letting him go. The one in Florida a stupid USELESS secretary that was above him but whom he did not report to decided she was going to act like he reported to her and push him around after much crap and mutual animosity that woman, who literally knew where the owners had bodies buried (There were rumors the owners had killed people they scammed in a previous venture), eventually used her unique sway with the owners to get dad fired, and they screwed them selves so bad they actually sent recruiters out to try and get him back a year or two later (in fact I think they may still be trying to get him back). His most recent job he knows more than his ingrate boss (whom he would of replaced had she retired sooner), and the only person she kept from the department after the downsizing is some idiot underling...Dad says that even if they knew how to do the all work (which they don't) he does not think they can manage the work load of the whole department themselves.

With all the crap I've been dragged through as his kid from this corporate shuffle, and how much I've hated it all (and I've had it better than some kids that get moved cross country every 2-4 years) I honestly (when I someday have kids) can't stand the idea of putting my kids through all that miserable crap.

I think it is a way of destroying the family and friendship bonds of the middle class in the closest way "they" (I'll leave their identity open to your imagination to avoid getting into politics) can find (without causing rioting) to the way the single mother wellfare incentive has destroyed the poor (especially minority) family unit.

I'll probably end up working for a company at first (I've got zero capital, and my only business idea may not be profitable enough to live on), but if I can find a way to be stably self-employed I will do it, and if I start a company I sure sure as hell don't want to treat my employees like dad has been treated or sellout to corporate pirates....I can understand wanting to make money, but intentionally screwing people (especially employees) to do it (or more accurately gain more profit) disgusts me....I wonder how they can sleep at night?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It is eye opening to look at the electronics offered in other countries. In the UK, for example, there are many OTA HD recorders to choose from. Many of them record to a hard drive, and can later copy shows to a Blu-Ray disc. I don't think there's a single Blu-Ray video recorder on the market here.
There are lots of little tid-bids that make it to the news kinda un noticed about
how individuals rule the gov. and corps, In some countries they even protest
when something is not right, and they bring the area to a complete standstill...
They even have better pay, working conditions, freedoms, and a gov. that
listens to their people..... It's so strange.....

Some countries even crack the whip on google, they can't track people, etc.

Imagine a media company being satisfied with airing a program, getting it's
ad revenue, and allowing a recording to be made and "Shared" and they
go on and let people live..... People are stupid for not suing all companies
who collect and "Share" personal data.....

Yah, EM guess what...... Life is hard..... Next Gen. Life will be harder....