Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Old TVs are better!

HDMI from computer to separate flat screens TVs

Problem is that I have a Panasonic flat screen downstairs and a Vizeo flat screen upstairs with HDMI cables that run from both of my TVs to the computer. I'm able to use a long range wireless mouse from the upstairs TV, along with Windows on screen keyboard to surf the web and watch videos. Problem is, that I can not hook up both TVs at the same time, although either TV will work directly from the computers HDMI by switching cables manually, meaning if I want to use the TV upstairs as a monitor, I have to run downstairs and switch cables. I bought an HDMI split-er (pictured), which only gives me goofy half or messed up images or nothing at all on the TVs. I also have an VGA on the back of the video card which runs to my regular computer monitor.
Any ideas guys, how I could hook up both TVs at once to the computer, without having to switch plugs. I only have one slot in the computer for a video card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0961.jpg (67.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0962.jpg (60.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM
M is for Memory

Does your video card also have a DVI port (the white one that is like VGA but bigger and can't plug VGA into it)? If so I believe there are DVI to HDMI adapters that might allow you to dump that lousy spliter.

Can't help beyond that since I don't own a TV new enough to accept HDMI.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Amazon saves the day.

http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-E.../dp/B00997MYR2
Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Isn't that pretty much what the one he bought is supposed to do?

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Splitte...ords=VHD-0102M

Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Old TVs are better!

The one on Amazon, is just another version of the same thing that I have. I could order it and try it, but I kind of doubt if it would do anything different. Maybe it would work, maybe not. Another thought I had was getting a splitter cable for the VGA and running one side to my computer monitor, and the other side to a VGA to HDMI adapter, if there is such an animal.
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Big issue to consider. HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) and it's handshakes. Normal PC use other than Blu-Ray playback is likely good. Blu-Ray through such a system might well be problematic. Another thing to consider, HDMI is not a long distance protocol and you might need some way to extend it that far assuming you can do so. HDMI usually runs not much above 15-20 feet normally. I also notice HDMI out on laptops is problematic on Linux distributions at present.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 09-03-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI is picky. When I worked at the repair shop, I had several different types of splitters. They would work good if the TVs were similar, but if they were different makes, sometimes the TVs would just constantly knock each other off the signal. Since your TVs are different makes you might be experiencing that.

What I would do If I were you, just run your HDMI to one TV, and get a VGA-over-Cat5 and run the VGA to the other TV. I bet at least one of your TVs has a VGA, right? If you need to split the VGA for your local monitor, VGA splitters/switches are pretty cheap, and they work well since they are analog.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Perhaps a range extender on the longer run? I've seen these used in churches to extend a 40-foot run:

http://matelectronics.com/hdmi-signal-extender-cp01se/

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Old TVs are better!

I believe I have found an answer, one, which I had never even thought about. A friend of mine on this site (jstout66) suggested getting a Roku HDMI stick to stream movies, TV shows, and videos, which was my original intention, mainly from Netflix and Hulu. Such a simple solution vs. running cables and wires from my PC. I have never used one of these or seen one in action, but I have no problem streaming video to my laptop upstairs, so I assume it should work out well for me. Next time I go to Walmart, I'll have to pick one up and give it a try.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Roku is a nifty little device and works well most of the time, but is well short of a computer. I like the HDMI to dvi idea though. With newer video cards from both AMD and Nvidia the adapter is detected and they will allow audio to pass as well. That basically gives you 2 HDMI monitors, plus your regular monitor (I usually keep that on the onboard graphics) to play with
Audiokarma