Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

1948 Delco TV-71

Ok, in case you didn't follow me here from the Curbside thread, I'll recap: This tv was for sale on Craigslist and I went to look at it and bought it tonight.

When I got there the guy said I'll plug it in and turn it on for you. I said no, that wasn't necessary. He said "we plugged it in and turned it on the other night to burn off the dust and the screen lit up but couldn't get the vcr to work with it." I hadn't offered to buy it yet and I thought, what the heck it was still his tv at that point. He turned it on and a full, but rather dim, raster came on the screen. Couldn't get any static out of the speaker though.

I took off the back and the first thing I noticed was the selenium rectifier looked new. The guy said his uncle used to have a tv shop in Granite City and his parents bought the set used from him in the early 50's. He said they got a new tv in the early 60's and gave this one back to the uncle, who kept it. The guy said the uncle fixed it up sometime later and got it going again.

The tv obviously had seen a lot of use as the face plate is pretty worn. But, I figured since the uncle had worked on it and had it going again later, and with the new rectifier, I figured it had been recapped too. Maybe even he checked all the tubes and put in some new ones?

I decided for $65 it was worth the gamble. The cabinet is pretty rough. It needs refinishing and the veneer needs repaired in a couple of spots. There's a couple small burns on the top, but I'm not sure they go all the way through the veneer so I may be lucky there.

Here's some pics of the outside: It's hard to read the face plate but you can barely make out the Delco logo. It also has channel 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 003.jpg (80.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 005.jpg (62.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 009.jpg (60.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 001.jpg (66.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 007.jpg (54.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 010.jpg (74.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, when I got back with it I tried plugging it in myself to get the raster back. I had it going for a while but it was off center. I started adjusting the knobs in the back and then I lost it. Instead I could only get either a vertical bar or horizontal bar. Finally I got them adjusted and could faintly make out a larger dim raster. I turned out the light to show up better.

Later I finally saw the controls are a little different. The on-off knob is also the contrast knob, not the volume. The volume knob is to the right of the screen. By the time I figured that out I had already moved on as explained in the next post:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 011.jpg (76.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 014.jpg (68.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 015.jpg (38.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

These sets were made by Hallicrafters and I've seen online they were the same chassis as the T-54. However, the cabinet is almost identical to the T506. However, the T506 was made in '49 and doesn't have channel 1. A little intrigue here.

The power cord on this one was obviously a newer one that was pigtailed and taped on. It wouldn't pull through the opening in the back, so I cut it off. I'll replace it later. Pulled out the chassis. Lots of cob webs and lots of dirt on the chassis. Several brands of tubes there, with a few newer Sylvania ones. Lots of pencil marks I figured the uncle made while working on it.

The CRT is a RCA one, and has a date of 1-49 on the base. The guy told me there was a spare CRT that was with the set when they took it from the uncle's house, but he sold it to somebody else. Hmmm, what I've read is these were made in only in '48. The CRT is 1-49. Maybe what the guy sold was the original CRT (which probably had a lot of hours on it) and this is a better replacement the uncle put in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 017.jpg (79.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 019.jpg (77.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 020.jpg (62.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 027.jpg (54.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 044.jpg (72.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by egrand; 07-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Cool, glad you got it!

The Delco version is much harder to find than the Hallicrafters.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Turned the chassis over and find that it was recapped. But, not a new recap. An old recap.

It's not full of newer aluminum electrolytics, but older ones. However, they obviously aren't the originals. Notice how the bands that held the originals were cut and the new ones were fastened on. Some of the wax paper caps look like they were replaced with...newer wax paper caps.

I'm not sure when the recap was done. I don't know when capacitor styles changed. I would guess by the looks it could be anywhere from the mid '60s to early '70s. I didn't look at them close enough to see if there is a date code on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 034.jpg (102.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 035.jpg (104.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 039.jpg (59.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Delco TV 040.jpg (67.0 KB, 33 views)
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok guys, I'm going to need your help. I've been searching the internet and have been watching bandersen's youtube series on restoring his Hallicrafters T506 (haven't seen them all yet, but I skipped to the end and it looks fantastic!) But, I still have some questions as there isn't a lot on the internet specifically on the Delco TV-71

Does anyone else have one of these and is the chassis and the schematic really the same as the T-54?

What is the right stain color for this cabinet? I assume the front edges are correct and painted black lacquer.

Are the knobs on the front correct? The T506 used the standard Hallicrafters looking knobs, but these are different.

Anyone know where I can get a new faceplate or a good way to restore this one?

Finally, this is something that was suggested on another site, but maybe somebody has a definitive answer: was the T506 made out of left over Delco sets that they cut the channel 1 button off and put on a new face plate?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. These look like pretty basic sets and maybe something good for a learning experience.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post

Does anyone else have one of these and is the chassis and the schematic really the same as the T-54?

What is the right stain color for this cabinet? I assume the front edges are correct and painted black lacquer.

Are the knobs on the front correct? The T506 used the standard Hallicrafters looking knobs, but these are different.

Anyone know where I can get a new faceplate or a good way to restore this one?

Finally, this is something that was suggested on another site, but maybe somebody has a definitive answer: was the T506 made out of left over Delco sets that they cut the channel 1 button off and put on a new face plate?
Same set as the T-54, 505 506, etc, some had channel one some didn't but I don't recall which had what.

The brass over the speaker is just glued to the aluminum base that has the woodgrain painted on. If the woodgrain part is in good shape you can take the brass off and clean it up with Brasso and even a wire brush if needed, I did that to my Hallicrafters with the same front (except it says Hallicrafters instead of Delco.

The knobs are correct for the Delco.
I believe it's a Walnut cabinet and the front is supposed to be painted black, somewhere I have a picture of mine, I'll post it if I find it.

The schematic is posted here: http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/H..._Sams_91-6.pdf
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Administrator

This grille looked every bit as bad as yours, I used Purple cleaner, Lime Away, Naval jelly and a wire brush to get rid of the tarnish and discoloration, it's solid brass so it's quite durable.

You take it out by removing the screws inside the cabinet, then the whole thing comes out, I believe there was a light amount oc contact adhesive holding it together but mine fell right apart.

Both of mine have some flaws in the brown paint that I will have to touch up but the Hallicrafters name is in decent shape at least.

The middle pictures shows it with the Brass grille removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halligrille1.jpg (20.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg halligrille2.jpg (24.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg halligrille3.jpg (28.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Here's a pic of the cabinet front, also one showing a Delco model number even though it's a Hallicrafters set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hallicab.jpg (27.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg hallipartnumber.jpg (10.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Eric for the info. I've noticed a couple of differences. First, where the Hallicrafters shows 6AU6 tubes, the Delco has 6SH7, which I belive both tubes have the same specs. Second, it looks like the saftey glass is different. The Delco has a big rubber moulding with the glass embedded in it that is over the CRT face. The Hallicrafters looks like it was attached to the cabinet.

I just hope the uncle didn't change anything so I can still follow along with the schematic. I'll probably work on the cabinet first and then tackle the chassis. And, both are probably going to get put on the back burner for a little bit as I'm pretty busy right now.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Administrator

If it has 6SH7's then it must be an early chassis, I've heard of Hallicrafters using those Octal tubes but have never run across one.

Here's the schematic for the 6SH7 model.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/h...-rider-tv1.pdf

The CRT mask is just a big rubber thing that holds the CRT in the front of the cabinet, I don't like the fact that the CRT's in these sets are held in by just the base of the tube and the mask.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Eric, even better!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM
console lover

Likewise I didn't realize that the Delco sets had been offered early enough for them to be seen in octal versions, as the only Delco(s) I ever got a chance to peer inside had the miniature IF strip. Armed with this knowledge I shall not let the next one that comes up get away.....
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I had looked at the tvhistory.tv page for Delco's it said early TV-71's had loctal bases. I thought that was really odd for a tv, but figured it must have been a nod to Delco since some car radios used loctals. However, I'm pretty sure that was a typo and they meant octals, and are referring to this change.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
console lover

Yes, it must be a typo. Although it may have come about via typing with the Motorola VT71 on the brain. Early VT71s did have a single loctal (or loktal)--a 7F8--that served as converter, replaced in later versions of the TS-4 chassis by 12AT7.