Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some pics of the inside on mine. It's actually cleaner than I expected. The main board on the bottom has a cover over it. Where should I begin about recapping?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171223_123600.jpg (55.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20171223_123606.jpg (47.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20171223_123626.jpg (27.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20171223_123614.jpg (47.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Starting separate thread

Last edited by dibmem; 12-27-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Starting separate thread
Old 12-27-2017, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Only recap the sweep board & only the electrolytics. Also check
it real good for cold joints.
The big shielded board on the bottom is the digital board. Do not
mess with it unless you HAVE to.
RGB is probably TTL with sync on green. It prob goes to a switching
IC just before a D-A converter.

IIRC Sams covered this. Try to find a used ORIGINAL copy. sams
is too much $$ & often a poor quality. Originals are the highest Q.
OEM Zenith manuals suck at this time but they may have info on
the RGB input. They come on fiche that is a PIA to work with or
paper that came loose. Finding a truly complete paper one is HARD.
Training manuals are nice but I dont remember training on them.
May have just missed it. Watch e-bay for OEM. You will probably
need to find the manual number 1st. format is CM###

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-29-2017, 12:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been using this set on component with my ps2 and it has worked great. Am I pushing my luck of somthing frying if I don't do or check anything right away? Set has a great picture and overall seems to just "work" which is what I like.
Audiokarma
Old 01-06-2018, 03:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

And thank you everyone for the responses
Old 03-26-2019, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Teletext use was expected to mainly be on-screen, with printing used infrequently, much like a modern internet service. In Chicago, where Zenith was located, the service from Atlanta was broadcast. For a while, there was a long-haul trucking jobs listing service, and it was intended that teletext receivers would be installed at major truck stops so independent truckers could bid/apply for runs (I'm not sure exactly how it worked). Another service was intended for home use and had things like news summaries, horoscopes, recipe of the day, and so on. I had a Zenith rear projo with Teletext at home, and would call the service sometimes to request a particular recipe to be posted, or answer the day's puzzle. The broadcasts in Chicago also contained test pages of repeating characters that made the clock recovery particularly difficult. One of these was titled something like "Page for Gary." Gary was an engineer at Zenith working on Teletext. The page stayed up long after the attempts at commercial service died, until Teletext was removed entirely.

PS: Teletext coding was at a low data rate, intended to be relatively ghost-resistant without requiring a ghost correction circuit in the receiver.
As a teletext junkie, I want to correct some misconceptions. WTBS did carry the Chicago-based service, Keyfax, for a time from 1982 to 84. I'm not sure on who inserted it, but thanks to an ex-Turner employee, I can confirm they had nothing to do with the next teletext service they had in their VBI, Electra. Electra originated in 1983 as a local service in Cincinatti OH, created by Taft Broadcasting and carried over their then-flagship, WKRC-12. It began to be carried over WTBS' national satellite signal in 1985, and was put in the signal by Satellite Syndicated Systems/TEMPO Enterprises, the people in charge of uplinking WTBS to cable companies. They also added their own service, Tempo Text, which carried stock quotes (or sports, depending on the source). Ultimately, both services were discontinued by 1993 thanks to a lack of interest, Zenith not making TVs with teletext decoders anymore, and Taft-- by this point renamed to Great American Broadcasting, and soon afterwards renamed again to Citicasters-- undergoing lots of corporate shakeups meaning no funding (ironically, during said reorganizations, they sold their Hanna-Barbera animation firm to.... Turner).

There were also two different services carried via the Discovery Channel, Infotext (which revolved around agricultural news and such, as well as AP news and sports), and Datavizion, a family-oriented service which carried quizzes, games, etc. as well as a satellite TV guide.

Now, apparently it is possible to extract teletext from S-VHS, so hopefully there are some S-VHS tapes of WTBS from before 1993 that could have pages extracted from them.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Thanks for the info. Business relations for Teletext were really a bowl of spaghetti, from what you have posted.

Regular VHS (as well as S-VHS) would record/playback closed caption data, so I wonder if it would also record/playback Teletext? There might be a lot more around on old tapes than anyone realizes.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Just checked with a colleague of mine who worked on the captioning capability of VHS, who says:

"...normal VHS machines will not record teletext. The data rate is too high. Captioning is a lower rate and gets through.
On S-VHS machines the recording has a wider bandwidth and can record the teletext signal. However there is a comb filter that separates the color from lumance. This destroys the data and needs to be turned off during the teletext interval."