Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM
On Land

Truetone Color

This is a set that I brought home a couple of years ago from the old TV shop. The chassis is a mix between a CTC15 and 16. I believe this set is from 1968. IMS, the Sams is dated 12/68.

The CRT is a Sylvania rebuild dated 1978. It tested weak, but cranking the heaters up a little brings the meter into the green. I can then put it back to 6.3 volts and the meter will stay in the green, but it does fall and nearly goes back to the red. It might work well as is... and if not, I can always put a brightener on it. The set has "Instant On" and I'm thinking this might have worn the CRT out prematurely.

I just now decided to see what this set was going to need. Trying to bring it up slowly on the Variac failed. When I'd get the dial up to 20 volts, it would pop the circuit breaker on the chassis. Wow... those reset buttons actually work! Anyway, seems there was a dead short somewhere. I was thinking a rectifier diode, but those checked out okay.

After poking around in there, I found the power transformer has a short between the 315 volt secondary and one of the filament secondaries (which has one side tied to ground). I started cutting the wires to isolate the transformer to make sure, and it seems the problem is indeed in the transformer.

The ratings of this transformer are nearly the same as a CTC16 transformer... only off by 5 volts... and I think I have a parts 16 chassis that I can swap the transfomers with. I'll get my hands on the 16 chassis this weekend... it's up at my cabin in the woods.

Earlier in life, it seems this set had a little work done on it. Other than a CRT replacement, someone installed a 100mfd lytic under the chassis... and it doesn't appear to be very old. The flyback has also been replaced... using one of the bullet-proof FLY-277's. I'm betting this set was used way up into the 80's (especially considering the date code of the CRT was 1978).

He who dies with the most toys still dies.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Huh?

Yeah! I've been waiting to hear about the Truetone. Any idea who made it?
I wish it had the Tri-Centric tuner, as I've been anxious to see one. Oh, well. Still a pretty cool set.
I think I have a '68 WA catalog, will look up the model name.

veg
Old 04-02-2007, 01:03 PM
On Land

Veg: The chassis is certainly an RCA clone, however the cabinet styling and mask must have been someone else's idea.

I'm up at the cabin right now... and I think there is a CTC16 chassis in the garage. I'll be out there later today and check on it's power xformer... if it's good I will put it in the Truetone.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

just awsome !! one of the last roundies?? besides a good fly, later chassis should be reliable. that's probaly why set's already gone through a CRT. I always had a fondness for the western style cabinets, I had a rectangular set, some make ---similiar style years ago. mine was a large tabletop, 23" or 25" I believe, don't have it anymore. It's good to see a classic set well used. Are you going to try to disable that instant on feature???
Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 PM
On Land

Yes, the instant-on will be changed to instant-wait. There is a vacation switch on the back, so I'll leave it in vacation mode.

Well, it turns out the 16 chassis I thought I had here in the woods was actually a 15. I have a 16 at home, but it's a working chassis and I don't want to pull the xformer off it it. Oh well, I've got other options... but they will take place later. Looks like I'll have to wait a couple of months before getting back to this set. In the meantime, I might start changing lytics.

Audiokarma
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Doesn't the CTC-15 use a voltage doubler type supply and the CTC-16 a bridge rectifier....if you are really in a pinch you might could just replicate the entire CTC-15 supply in the Truetone chassis. It seems like beyond the power supply and the way the HV rectifier tube is mounted the two are pretty similar otherwise but you'd have to check the schematics to be sure.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM

You'd have to find a place for the two 160uf capacitors, though they're pretty small nowdays. Also, 15's didn't have automatic degaussing as far as I know, it's possible you might have to disconnect that. I'll bet it will work, the required voltages are about the same.

John
Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 PM
On Land

I have a couple of options other than changing the entire power supply. I know of a 16 chassis locally that I can get my hands on for the transformer. If that plan fails, I have a Curtis Mathes chassis that I can use the transformer from.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Huh?

Turns out I don't have the '68 WA catalog, but I thought you might find this interesting; it's the first Truetone color set, from 1955.

Wonder how many they sold?

veg
Attached Images
File Type: gif first_truetone.gif (116.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-o-matic
Turns out I don't have the '68 WA catalog, but I thought you might find this interesting; it's the first Truetone color set, from 1955.

Wonder how many they sold?

veg
Veg,

Just when you think you've seen them all. Thanks for posting the '55 19" Truetone color receiver ad. And to answer your question...IMHO, not many.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I have a truetone color chassis I parted out. It looks like a Wells-gardner clone of the RCA ctc 15