Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bought a car- vintage VW bug

Picked up a nice VW, it’s a 1974 standard beetle, love bug special edition in Ravenna green (normally a Porsche 914 paint color). The special edition was $150 cheaper than the regular beetle, omiting chrome trim, fold down rear set, rear defroster, and inside release for the gas flap, rubber mats instead of carpet, and sport wheels that did not use hubcaps. I had been watching it for a while, 5e seller finally lowered the price and I bought it. It’s the engine , brakes, and front end were all recently rebuilt. Needs some minor things, like new fuel filler hoses and vapor lines. And replacing the important engine thermostat system that previous owners deleted. It has dual carbs added to it and drives very nice, but it’s a bit stumbly when cold, since the dual carbs have no chokes. Having a thermostat will help it warm up quicker. I won’t be driving it in the winter so not having chokes may not be an issue. I already found a set of the correct wheels for it. The bumpers were replaced, I’ll probably paint them black to match what the car had originally. The trim has also lost most of its black paint.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:30 PM
Motorola Minion

I bought a 74 Super Beetle 30 yrs ago, similar but with a curved windshield, strut suspension and a "defroster" fan that attempted to pull warm air through the famously leaky heating ducts to the vents under the windshield. It kinda worked. Still, I miss it just like I do my 83 Rabbit GTI. Two very different VW's indeed.

The beetle was tan and not rusted in the usual spots but instead had solid floor even under the battery(!?). It was the rocker panels and tunnel frame head that cost me $$$ just to get safety inspection, letting me know I missed SOMETHING when I looked it over initailly. No surprise that my parents had a 60 then 68 Beetle, last one tearfully replaced after Dad tried to jack it up to put snow tires on, and the rocker just crumpled.

These cars had two curses: Although you have awesome traction in snow and water-airtight doors doomed this car to collect magnesium chloride (road salt) and any rain that leaked past a window or any other shrunken seal.

The 1500 cc engine had a single Solex PICT carb, started and ran just fine. But with 138,000 miles, you needed to drop down to 2nd to climb a hill and bearings were rapping on deceleration as you coasted down the hills. Not good here at all, as its not flat. I found a $300 beetle for sale that was beat-up and a partly-broken frame horn (that holds up the engine), with a supposedly-rebuilt engine. I swapped motors, drove the "unker car and worn but running engine right to a junkyard.

Swapping engines and then sending jugs and pistons to a machine shop, then reassembling the motor was easy fun compared to my V8 cars. Don't worry if you need to pull it out with the tranny, many books and now probably internet videos abound.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 10-27-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:42 PM
Motorola Minion

Double post

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-13-2022 at 10:02 AM.