Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I do recommend using an ultrasonic cleaner. Removing just the flyback is sufficient.

What problem are you having with disconnecting the D1 board? The HV connector just unhooks in the usual way, and everything else is plug in connectors.
Maybe I will have to inspect it closer. I am talking about the gray shielded wire that runs to the top of the tube and the other end runs into the metal box that seems to be soldered in place. Forgive me for I am not good with the proper names of things. I am not sure what the HV (high voltage?) connector is.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

After doing some quick net research im guessing the grey shielded wire I was describing that goes to the top of the tube and also to the metal boc on the board is the flyback. Is that right? If so what is the HV connector? Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I Figured it out....lets just pretend like that never happened.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

So after ultrasonic cleaning the boards are somehow now much worse off hah. It seems a white residue has formed. I noticed this same white residue when I was cleaning the boards after pulling caps with a horse hair acid brush and 99.9 isopropyl. Does anybody know what this residue might be? The only way i have been able to get the residue to disappear has been Windex all purpose cleaner. I'm sure using this isn't advised and that certainly won't help for things I can't reach. Any advise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170731_202015.jpg (113.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_202006.jpg (91.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_185542.jpg (67.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Google put this result on the top: http://www.kester.com/Portals/0/Docu...te_Residue.pdf
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Thanks for that. I guess I didn't think to even search for that. Though I did try to find info when I first saw it when recapping but came up empty handed. I guess the residue isn't anything I need to be concerned about as it is essentially just the flux left on the board reacting with the chemicals.

Even so it still made me nervous so I went ahead and sprayed each board down with Lysol all purpose cleaner and went over them with the acid brushes. This instantly took away all signs of white residue and it actually dissipated pretty quickly. This stuff is a degreaser and soap scum remover. My only guess is the soap scum remover part of this is what is helping here.

Anyway I let one board dry under a fan and everything looked fantastic. To be sure though I did every board with the Lysol all purpose then gave each a quick dip in the isopropyl bath to repel any water and set them out to dry. This seems to be the magic recipie that works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170731_225325.jpg (93.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20170731_225341.jpg (78.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Shibby; 07-31-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello everyone. Just wanted to stop in to say that I am still working on this. I was able to get the burnt transistor replaced but still no joy. luckily someone was kind enough to send me the service manual so hopefully at some point this weekend I can thumb through and do some quick voltage checks to see if everything looks right. I suspect also that a capacitor still might be the issue. There are a few of the very small ones that I have yet to replace but figured with all the main caps done I should at least see some change. Well I didn't but I do realize that it only takes one so I will be back at it soon. Any words of wisdom or advice here is always appreciated so don't be shy. See you guys soon.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

If you ever decide to part company/that DREADFUL Indexotron, I'll take it off yer hands. Won't even charge my usual 99.95 that I get for unusual trash .I have a Sinkhole in my back yard that the County sez I can't toss old tyres into anymore. Spoil Sports-Most of them hi-falutin, Rootin Tootin types don't remember what all I have in there-There would be a bunch of VERY red faces if it ever got out & a BUNCH might end up spending awhile at the Brushy Mtn Graybar Hotel...
Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

A SERIOUS question for a change- about the Indextron- WHY ?!? Sony had, arguably, w/the Trinitron CRT the best CRT in the business. Secondly, they must have known that the days of the CRT were about over, soon ,you couldn't GIVE one of the damthings away. To research/develop an almost totally new product that as far as I know, gave little/no benefits, except to a very slim number of customers, would seem to me to be NOT an especially financially astute thing to do.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
Hello everyone. Just wanted to stop in to say that I am still working on this. I was able to get the burnt transistor replaced but still no joy. luckily someone was kind enough to send me the service manual so hopefully at some point this weekend I can thumb through and do some quick voltage checks to see if everything looks right. I suspect also that a capacitor still might be the issue. There are a few of the very small ones that I have yet to replace but figured with all the main caps done I should at least see some change. Well I didn't but I do realize that it only takes one so I will be back at it soon. Any words of wisdom or advice here is always appreciated so don't be shy. See you guys soon.
Keep plugging away, you will get it. If not Andy can help. Good luck with it.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
A SERIOUS question for a change- about the Indextron- WHY ?!? Sony had, arguably, w/the Trinitron CRT the best CRT in the business. Secondly, they must have known that the days of the CRT were about over, soon ,you couldn't GIVE one of the damthings away. To research/develop an almost totally new product that as far as I know, gave little/no benefits, except to a very slim number of customers, would seem to me to be NOT an especially financially astute thing to do.
You've been asking that question time and again since I've been here. The answer is on this thread and previous threads.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

'Scuse me, then...I had a Stroke 10-12 yrs back-I'm doin' good to remember where I Oui-Ouied last..I DO remember that I enjoyed visiting yr teeny-tiny TV site- VERY easy to develop a Thing for the Little Guys...
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
'Scuse me, then...I had a Stroke 10-12 yrs back-I'm doin' good to remember where I Oui-Ouied last..I DO remember that I enjoyed visiting yr teeny-tiny TV site- VERY easy to develop a Thing for the Little Guys...
I did not know about your situation. I knew you were gone for a long period. Hope all is good now. The little guys are fun. :-)

If anyone wants the Sony KVX 370 service manual, its available at my Resources page for free.

https://visions4netjournal.com/resources/
Old 08-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

No Problemo..I ACTUALLY kinda ENJOYED the stroke, in a weird way...I had the whole summer off, my Dad was actually NICE to me, for a change-, I'd go up to women that I had NO Idea who they were, but would grin at 'em & go-"Gimme a Hug ! I hadda Stroke ! Got a LOT of hugs, & ginormous grins- Helped that it made me a bit unsteady on me feet- & I could do a KILLER Ozzie Osbourne imitation. I'd proposition the pretty gals in the office, then claim to get MAD at "Mr Stroke", who I claimed had REALLY said stuff.Worst aftereffect is still that I'm not in complete control of me "Downstairs"-I feel like they installed Saturn 5 rocket motor in me Bum, but didn't give me the Keys to th damthing.. A LOT of how yr life is gonna be after you've had a Stroke is entirely up to you--I decided that I had had a Stroke, but the Stroke didn't have ME... IF they throw lemons atcha, screw "em...Pick up the lemons, get some ice water, sugar,& make yrself a big mess of Lemonade....Obviously, there's a lot more to it than THAT, but that is at least something you can aim for...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow this thread took an interesting turn while I was gone lol. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Anyways here is where I am at. Ive had a look through the service manual and it has pretty much been useless to me at this point. It seems to be bore geared towards dialing in the thing rather than diagnosing issues. Unless i'm missing something. I guess what I am loking for is some type of pin out that tells me what voltages I should be getting on each pin so I can find whats incorrect and trace the problem back from there. I mean it could be as simple as the power button not working but I need to know if it is even getting power there. Any suggestions?
Audiokarma