Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

1970s? Vintage Kenmore Canister Vacuum Cleaner found at Goodwill today

Hello everyone today at Goodwill I found a complete 1970s Kenmore Canister Vacuum that had all of its original attachments yet and it even had the cord that recoiled back into the vacuum when you hit the switch on the front of the unit. it is of course your typical period Avacado Green (but all the more reason to like it because it shows its period charm).
Anyways the vacuum is absolutely clean, even the beaters on the power head attachment for the carpets was spotless not a single bit of hair to be found in the beaters.
This vacuum was apparently immaculately taken care of which is unusal for a vacuum this vintage.
Anyways I would like to know what you guys think of this vacuum, as I fell in love with it the moment I saw it come into the store through the donations (don't worry it was on the floor before I bought it). I plan on using this vacuum to sweep out my car and to sweep the floor in my workshop area because I have a much nicer Kenmore vacuum that I don't want to grunge up and or damage by vacuuming up things like old wiring or screws or rivets from old radios or TVs or VCRs or Stereo equipment or record players tha I may be working on in my workshop in my basement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2919.jpg (91.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2920.jpg (93.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2922.jpg (57.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2923.jpg (67.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2924.jpg (52.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2925.jpg (21.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 03-01-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats a keeper for sure. It will outlive all the plastic crap
built today too! I keep an old Electrolux around as a
back up for the central vac.
BTW you can find who built it using the first 3 numbers of the model.
There are lists on the internet.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Nice score! As a vacuum collector myself, I can tell you that those are NOT common! Especially in that condition!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

My mom had one, the only reason she replaced it was that it was old and beat up looking
Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find. Take good care of that, those are rare.

My mom had one of these but hers was probably a few models up the line. It's from the 70s, and I'd love to find one like hers. They go for big money on ebay.

These were made by Whirlpool also.
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2017, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Hello everyone today at Goodwill I found a complete 1970s Kenmore Canister Vacuum that had all of its original attachments yet and it even had the cord that recoiled back into the vacuum when you hit the switch on the front of the unit. it is of course your typical period Avacado Green (but all the more reason to like it because it shows its period charm).
Anyways the vacuum is absolutely clean, even the beaters on the power head attachment for the carpets was spotless not a single bit of hair to be found in the beaters.
This vacuum was apparently immaculately taken care of which is unusal for a vacuum this vintage.
Anyways I would like to know what you guys think of this vacuum, as I fell in love with it the moment I saw it come into the store through the donations (don't worry it was on the floor before I bought it). I plan on using this vacuum to sweep out my car and to sweep the floor in my workshop area because I have a much nicer Kenmore vacuum that I don't want to grunge up and or damage by vacuuming up things like old wiring or screws or rivets from old radios or TVs or VCRs or Stereo equipment or record players tha I may be working on in my workshop in my basement.
I have one, that's a little fancier then that one. Mine has the controls on the handle end of the hose. It has a softtouch keypad that controls the speed of the vacuum motor and the motor in the powerhead. It must control the functions, by virtue of line carrier, as the connector has only two wires, like the simpler machines. It has a circuit board inside that must control these functions. It was a freebee, that had a bad cordreel.
I just removed the cordreel and hardwired the power cord, so it would work.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:28 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have a Hoover "Quik-Broom Tempo" vacuum sweeper, made by Hoover of North Canton, Ohio; I bought it new when I moved here 17 years ago. It's all plastic, but it works very well as long as the filter is kept clean. I notice when the filter becomes clogged, the machine loses suction in a hurry--not unlike most vacuums. I generally clean it once every two or three uses, which seems to work out just fine.

Just because a vacuum sweeper is made of plastic doesn't necessarily mean it won't last; a sweeper from a reputable manufacturer should last years if it isn't abused or used to pick up things like sharp metal pieces or other things besides dust and dirt. As I said, I've had this one 17 years, it is used about once a week on average, and it shows no signs of breaking down. Another thing my vacuum has in its favor is it was made by a well-known sweeper manufacturer; Hoover has been around for decades--my grandmother had a Hoover upright that lasted quite a while, and I used it for some years after her death in 1985 until I moved to my apartment. That Hoover was a great sweeper, but one thing I didn't like about it was that it used paper vacuum bags which filled up after only a few uses (I lived in a house at the time with a good-sized living room, carpeted, and a long hall, also carpeted, between there and the back of the house). Changing the bags wasn't a big deal, but I certainly don't miss it with my Hoover Quik-Broom, which is bagless.

BTW, Dave (VK member TUD1) has a vacuum sweeper that should outlast any modern machine made in the last ten years. Kirby is a company that has been making sweepers since at least the '50s, so they know their business when it comes to vacuum sweepers. These sweepers were made of solid metal, not like today's plastic throwaway ones that crack at the least provocation (think of the fragility of today's flat screen televisions, or anything else incorporating plastic in its construction, which is just about everything these days. )

Too bad, but, as Walter Cronkite always ended the CBS Evening News, that's the way it is (in the 21st century).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

Yep, this vacuum still works like a charm and I can still get bags for it yet, the only thing I can't get anymore is the filter for it, because apparently according to the Sears Parts Direct Website the filter has been discontinued by the manufacturer supposedly and that there isn't any substitutes for it, which is kind of odd because when I looked at the picture of the filter in question it looks like a filter I've seen used on other things like air purifiers besides being used in vacuums. Perhaps you guys might be able to help me figure out where to get a filter for this vacuum. I've posted a picture of the filter in question below.

Also the 3 digit manufacturers number on the model number of this vacuum is 116 so I don't know what manufacturer that crosses to but when I looked it up online trying to use those lists you were talking about all I found was the cross-reference list for the large appliance manufacters but not for the small appliance manufacturers, so it was little help to me, does anyone on here know what company the manufacturer code 116 crosses to, whatever company it is, its still around today still making the kenmore vacuums because even the modern kenmore vacuums use the code 116. does it perhaps cross to someone like Hoover, or Eureka, or Royal?

Also the cord reel on mine still works perfectly yet and apparently mine doesn't have a switch on the hose assembly for turning the carpet attachment on or off with it just turns on and off with the main vacuum switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PD_20_116_703322.jpg (12.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 03-01-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps this?

http://www.ezvacuum.com/panasonic-ke...34-1-pack.html

Or one of the filters shown here?

http://www.ezvacuum.com/tristar-vacu...ric-p-356.html

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 03-01-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 PM
TheUniversalDave1

One of my vacuum friends knows a lot about these Kenmores. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if I can get you some more information about the machine.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM
DTV blows

Just use the old filter as a template to make a new one out of a new piece of air conditioner filter foam from the hardware store. That's what I did.
We had a vac just like that one, but we got rid of it when we couldn't get the bags anymore. This was before the internet was around!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
One of my vacuum friends knows a lot about these Kenmores. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if I can get you some more information about the machine.
A friend had a Eureka canister, that looked like the Kenmore, so I was under the impression, that's the firm that made it.
The only reason, I removed the cord reel on mine, was the lady that gave it to me, didn't care about it. It was probably only a slip-ring problem, but seemed to all riveted together.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Just use the old filter as a template to make a new one out of a new piece of air conditioner filter foam from the hardware store. That's what I did.
We had a vac just like that one, but we got rid of it when we couldn't get the bags anymore. This was before the internet was around!
That's the thing, I don't have the orginal filter, when I got it the vacuum didn't have a filter in it, but it had a bag in it though...
And yes I thought about one of those Tristar dome filters (and it seems tristar also had a flat version of that filter as well, that might be a better match to my vacuum and all I would have to do is drill a hole in the center for the mounting latch on the vacuum and it would be all set).

Dave, thanks for offering to get some info from your friend, I really appreciate that, I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about this vacuum.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Followin' the Rules...

What's the full model number? I have a set of Sears microfiche I got from Bryan Gadow that includes 66-92 Vacuums - I probably have a manual for it, possibly an owners manual.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was made by Whirlpool, as mentioned above.
Whirlpool made most of the Sears vacuums in the 60s-80s before selling the line to Panasonic in the late 80s. Panasonic continued to make most Sears vacuums until last year when they sold the line to Cleva, as Panasonic is getting out of the small appliance business in North America.

This machine notes 5011 bags - those are discontinued, but 5033 bags will fit, you can still get them at Sears as type E, but they may not be made anymore, I am not sure on that.
Audiokarma