Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Im glad ya found that

I hope she gives ya many good years of beautiful stuff!!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
I was reading through an old thread the other day and someone said they have seen a blonde CT-100, so they do exist. I think they were special order only and had a slightly different model number. Now to dig up that old thread again...
Finally found it again.
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider on 05-01-2011
Just to clarify; the only "factory issue" color was red. There were custom order sets in blond (I had the knobs and pencil box and insert from one), but those were special order only, and I only know of one besides the one my parts came from. CT-100MBO was the model tag. Same situation as the 1940s RCA 641-TS console combo. I had a 641-TS in bleached blond, which had special light brown bakelite knobs (as did the CT-100MBO). I got the 641 from the original owner, who ordered it and waited 6 months.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Were those equipped with an early tension band CRT? A quick Google search didn't turn up any CTC-25 sets with a cataract.
I think they went tension band in the mid 70's, even on the rebuilt CRT's.
I have an RCA CTC21, that was under contract with RCA Service Co. It has a rebuilt CRT branded RCA Service Co. It's a 25X that is a tension band CRT.
I haven't seen any 1967 model RCA's, that have the original CRT.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:17 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Bought some paint stripper today. Took the Dorrance completely apart, and slobbered the stuff all over the cabinet. It's outside now. I can already see the nasty paint peeling off.

Last edited by TUD1; 06-19-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Maker/advertisement/service literature is not the bible...It is often wrong, incomplete or a different revision than what is in front of you. The workmanship will tell you if it is factory.
+1 - We sold RCA, and Indy was eager to customize sets. Blondes are rarer finishes, but available with certain cabinet codes. Merchandiser data in the binders is what is mass produced. Factory orders ain't in there. Our RCA rep had to take the order, mail it in (no fax or internet back then..) and get a reply with a payment code and amount. We called in the credit card and then billed the customer. Most were finish orders. Each year had a new cabinet code and the suffixes determined what was available. PITA, but a bit of extra dough for us, as the customer never balked.

Hell, you could get plastic knobs in brushed, chrome, and golden finishes if you didn't like the stock. Pricey things, but available. I can remember a dentist here that had an RCA CTC38 entertainment unit and wanted the all-gold knobs. He ordered them at another RCA dealer for about 180 bucks - in 1970/71. You want it, they'll make it. We kept the entertainment unit in flys and 6JE6's until his youngest kid wanted a remote set. We never pulled the set - just the chassis, as we always had a jig setup for the '38 chassis.

ColorTrak consoles with Pecan, Mahogany(stained luaun) and Walnut were available, but for most models, only Pecan sets and their plastic sides available at mass retail.

Proscan/Dimensia are the only RCA lines that had no custom cabinet codes.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Progress.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

it is going to look soooooo much better after that paint is gone!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Bought some paint stripper today. Took the Dorrance completely apart, and slobbered the stuff all over the cabinet. It's outside now. I can already see the nasty paint peeling off.
That really looks like a factory custom paint job to me. Most consumers would not bother to remove the back to paint the back edges of the cabinet...Hell most would not bother to paint the back edges at all.

Given what I've seen I'd have tried to preserve it as is/was, but that ship has already sailed...At least it appears to have a nice mahogany finish underneath.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-28-2017, 08:12 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. THE PAINT IS NOT FACTORY! The paint job is incredibly sloppy, and you can even see the clear coat preserved under the paint. The DIY'er also put in some nasty green felt over the speakers, sloppily held in with staples.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:40 PM
TheUniversalDave1

More progress on the Dorrance. Did not meet my goal of getting it completely stripped this weekend. Next weekend it will be finished.

Audiokarma
Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 PM
sampson159

the top looks good.i would just clear this color,myself.back around 1970,a friend of mine bought a new magnavox color set.he had coffee and end tables that had fruitwood tops and the rest were white,couldnt order it this way,so he took it to a refinisher.it was made to match.i personally hate white furniture and even not a fan of my avanti.of course,because of the originality of it,i will leave it alone.cant wait to see your finished product!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks. I'm looking forward to working on this thing again next weekend. I don't know what my dad has in mind, but he says he can make the finish look better than new.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Thanks. I'm looking forward to working on this thing again next weekend. I don't know what my dad has in mind, but he says he can make the finish look better than new.
You must have a LOT of patience to be able to strip and refinish a console TV cabinet because I know my mom and dad once bought from the church garage sale we had one year at the church I grew up in a mid 1950s Zenith B & W console TV Set that was in a solid Mahogany cabinet and doors that went over the screen area, anyways my parents had bought the TV to use as an extra TV around the house because at the time we only had one TV and they plugged the TV in and the picture tube exploded supposedly so they gutted the cabinet and my mom had the intention of refinishing the cabinet so that it could be used as an entertainment center but it sat in my dad's workshop for several years without any work being done to it until one day my dad decided to donate the cabinet to a neighbor of ours who also happened to go to church with us so he could use it for a woodworking project. Also I'm currently have a 1932 vintage cathedral radio that needs the cabinet refinished and I was only able to get through the first layer of laquor and that was it and i used the same citri-strip that you did and it didn't really work very well at taking the old finish off of the cabinet which really frustrated me because I spent about 3 hours working on that cabinet to only get through one layer of the cabinet's finish. So yeah like I said it seems you have way more patience for refinishing old TV and radio cabinets than I do or my parents do.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Moar pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6964.jpg (99.9 KB, 36 views)

Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM
TheUniversalDave1

More progress on the Dorrance today. My dad got most of the paint off while I was at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.0 KB, 33 views)