Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Farnsworth 651P

I have been working on my Farnsworth 651P and it had a bad vertical output transformer. I got a replacement off the auction site but it was a guess on my part as to what to get. I have it installed and it works but there are a couple issues that I think might be related to the replacement. There appears to be some of the picture bunched at the top of the picture and the whole picture waves side to side slowly and no adjustments make any difference. Otherwise the picture is nice, very clear and sharp with good brightness and contrast.
Also, the Sams for this on the museum site is just a schematic no other information. I was hoping there was more to see if they had listed a replacement transformer. Sams 95A-1
Thx

Greg B
Old 02-13-2023, 01:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Greg.Wow!another Farnsworth 651p! I rarely see these on any forum.I have had one since 1982.needs recaping someday.I got all the info,including alignment and updates from antiqueradios.com forum.try there.here is some vids I did of my set when ntsc was still on the air.ps.this is the Addams family set.good luck with it. Here is my YouTube's of my set.I won't power it up again until its recaped. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PR8JU9uhi78 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9EKBFUSVHF4
Old 02-13-2023, 02:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

My 1 st post on antique radios forum ( found this thread on Google back in 2010 and joined the forum)to find out more about this set. https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?f=3&t=122536 a few other discussions I posted on that forum. https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?f=3&t=143501 https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...4b8048f5a6dd0c
Old 02-13-2023, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Ron, yes I have had this for a few years and have struggled to get it working and other than the issues mentioned in my post it works good. If I can get the picture to stabilize it will be awesome.
I will check out your links and read up on what you posted.

Greg B
Old 02-13-2023, 10:51 AM
M is for Memory

Side to side motion should not be related to the vertical.

If the width undulates in and out over the screen (giving an hourglass like effect to the image) and the undulation slowly rolls vertically then it's an issue with the filtering of the B+ or maybe a heater cathode short in a tube, or bad ground.

If the width is not being modulated and the whole image is shifting horizontally then it's a problem with the horizontal sync or oscillator circuits. Sweep stage mica capacitors could contribute to this issue.

The full Sam's should have a parts list and list generic subs if any were known at the time of publishing. I'd look it up but my Sam's are sparse below 100.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2023, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Tom, all good suggestions for me to look at. The set is completely re-capped and I used high quality Nichicons in all locations and there are a lot in this set.

The issue is exactly as you describe in your second sentence and I thought maybe a bad filter cap so I went through and checked them all, all are ok.

I will try some tube replacement as I had tested them all but maybe missed an issue with one.

Greg B
Old 02-13-2023, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
Thanks Tom, all good suggestions for me to look at. The set is completely re-capped and I used high quality Nichicons in all locations and there are a lot in this set.

The issue is exactly as you describe in your second sentence and I thought maybe a bad filter cap so I went through and checked them all, all are ok.

I will try some tube replacement as I had tested them all but maybe missed an issue with one.

Greg B
Weight is definitely a concideration for me these days., love me some Motorola electrostat.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hear you there Pio1980, this thing weighs a ton and is not fun to move around.

Greg B
Old 02-14-2023, 11:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Gregb. I looked and found my service info supplied to me from a member at antique radios forum for your Farnsworth 651p.not sure if your email is the same so please pm me your email if you want the riders service info.it includes schematic,alignment and updates in PDF form.good luck with that set! RonL