Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question Is it safe ?

Is it safe to have so many CRT TV's in your house ?
I have around 20 tv's now and someone said the mercury and lead in them is harzardous even when not in use ?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I got at least a DOZEN right here in my office, & I AIN'T too worried..
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Unless you're going around licking the tubes or using them for Wine Decanters then they are safe.

I think the issue is when they are busted up and ground to bits, then the Lead can leach out into the ground and cause contamination.

Here's an interesting article on Lead leeching in CRT's. I've never heard anything about Mercury in CRT's, LCD flat panels do have mercury, probably in the fluorescent back lighting. AFAIK Plasmas contain neither Lead or Mercury.

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php....html?gid=4865
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The WORST hurt I ever got from a TV was liftin' that 36" Sony all by my lonesome..My back filed a Grievance & stayed out for about a week..
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not to worry.
I spent my adult life surrounded by TV's. The shop would
have new stock stacked to the roof, showroom 30 more, repairs
stacked 3 high everywhere, 2 high under the bench & another
bunch on the bench opened up & running one foot away.
Easily over 100 at a time in 800 sq ft.
Six days a week, 50+ hrs a week, 300 days a year for 35+ years.
You have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than
being harmed by them IMHO.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
60s Throwback

Unless they fall on you, you should be OK.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The WORST hurt I ever got from a TV was liftin' that 36" Sony all by my lonesome..My back filed a Grievance & stayed out for about a week..
Holy shee-it, I recently team-lifted one of those 216.5 pound monsters. Even with the other guy, it was the hardest lift I have ever experienced.

BTW, as Carmine said before, the lead cannot leach out of the glass. If it's good enough to seal up and dispose of radioactive waste (vitrification), it's good enough to contain the minute amounts of lead in TV screens.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Is it safe to have so many CRT TV's in your house ?
I have around 20 tv's now and someone said the mercury and lead in them is harzardous even when not in use ?
Who is "someone"? An expert, a friend, a fool, or a combination of the above? Ask them to verify their source of this rumor to see if it has any legitimacy.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Probably the same kind of guy who had no idea what I was talking about when I tried to explain amps to him when he was picking out a wall-wart for a device he didn't bring along. I left a Sony Walkman there when I saw that someone fed it 15 volts AC just because the plug fit when it actually required 3 volts DC.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

[QUOTE=KV-1926R;3097793]Holy shee-it, I recently team-lifted one of those 216.5 pound monsters. Even with the other guy, it was the hardest lift I have ever experienced.

Oh, yeah... I saw Lightnings, moons, stars, planets 'n' Chit when I picked that Bad Boi up by my Lonesome... I was maybe 42 or 43 then, a good 15 years LATER than I shoulda been tryin' Stupid Stuff like that...Realising that you're NOT the strong, invincible, bullet proof Stud Muffin you were when you were in your twenties is sometimes a hard lesson to learn..
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Oh, yeah... I saw Lightnings, moons, stars, planets 'n' Chit when I picked that Bad Boi up by my Lonesome... I was maybe 42 or 43 then, a good 15 years LATER than I shoulda been tryin' Stupid Stuff like that...Realising that you're NOT the strong, invincible, bullet proof Stud Muffin you were when you were in your twenties is sometimes a hard lesson to learn..
I hurt my back lifting a 19" set when I was a kid of about 11. Walked with a limp for a few days. No idea how you even managed to start picking up a set that big. I'd have to air the CRT and then break it up.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heh... When a set you want it sitting there for the taking you move it somehow and suffer the pain later.

Whether it was push/pulling/dragging console sets home from school as a kid or loading 34" CRTs and later 50" Plasmas into the back of the car by myself.

It does catch up with you. Lately I've left a few where they lay (nothing rare or significant) rather than deal with the pain.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
...BTW, as Carmine said before, the lead cannot leach out of the glass. If it's good enough to seal up and dispose of radioactive waste (vitrification), it's good enough to contain the minute amounts of lead in TV screens.
A typical big TV CRT contains about five pounds of lead. Here's a study on the leachablility of lead from CRTs and part of the conclusion.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0tBEZceQqHU1bA

Quote:
Cathode ray tubes (CRTs) are often referred to as being a hazardous waste because of the leaded glass they are constructed of. This fact, however, is not well documented in the scientific literature. A study was conducted to determine the validity of this claim and to produce such documentation. A total of 36 CRTs were tested for lead leachability using the U.S. EPA’s toxicity characteristic leaching procedure (TCLP). In initial testing, twenty-one of the thirty color CRTs exceeded the 5 mg/l of lead regulatory limit for characterization as a hazardous waste.

None of the six monochrome CRTs exceeded this limit. Follow-up testing demonstrated that by far the largest concentration of leachable lead is from the frit seal between the funnel and the face panel. The amount is large enough that if a representative glass sample from a color CRT is tested with the TCLP, it will in almost all cases exceed 5 mg/l of lead.

Last edited by bandersen; 03-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I AM a Big Boy, & I WAS pretty strong at one time-I remember picking up a 289 short block & moving it around w/not TOO much difficulty... But I was 18-19 then. I had a stroke about 10 yrs ago, & about a year or 2 B4 that, fell down-Pulled down, actually, my back steps by an exuberant Dobermann, & boogered up my rt knee but good...Tore the meniscus & quadricept. Sorta ended my "Heavy Lifting" days right there.. Never have been able to walk easy since then. Running ? Fuggeddaboutit.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Administrator

I never worried about lead, but the asbestos sheets that line cabinets such as my 9T246 have raised an eyebrow every time I've worked on it....