Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quasar vh5846ex hifi vcr take up reels problems and tape

Hi my tapes are getting stuck in the vcr I think the ilder wheel is bad and the belts don't feel right too . I see that studio sound electronics has the parts in stock for 12.99 plus shipping . I remember this vcr playing and sounding very good too . I would like to fix her and place her back in service , but I remember the tape taking along time to rewind too . But that's ok for quality video and sound . I remember that vcr being very good too . When I got her at a thrift store down in the Chicago suburbs for 15.00 from there . If I need anymore parts I can find a junker vcr from ebay too . So any other places I can look at to fix the tape getting stuck around the metal pinch rollers after I stop the machine . when I eject the tape she gets stuck and if I press stop it looks as the tape is not going back in place after being around the video head . Let me know what you think .
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckland 23 View Post
Hi my tapes are getting stuck in the vcr I think the ilder wheel is bad and the belts don't feel right too . I see that studio sound electronics has the parts in stock for 12.99 plus shipping . I remember this vcr playing and sounding very good too . I would like to fix her and place her back in service , but I remember the tape taking along time to rewind too . But that's ok for quality video and sound . I remember that vcr being very good too . When I got her at a thrift store down in the Chicago suburbs for 15.00 from there . If I need anymore parts I can find a junker vcr from ebay too . So any other places I can look at to fix the tape getting stuck around the metal pinch rollers after I stop the machine . when I eject the tape she gets stuck and if I press stop it looks as the tape is not going back in place after being around the video head . Let me know what you think .
IIRC, the problem mentioned, is usually caused by the idler assembly.
You're going in the right direction, replacing the belts and idler.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
... but I remember the tape taking along time to rewind too ... So any other places I can look at to fix the tape getting stuck around the metal pinch rollers after I stop the machine ....
Those in their prime would rewind a T-120 tape in about 5 minutes, slow by later standards.

The rollers that pull the tape out and wrap it around the head cylinder are the entry and exit tape guide assemblies. The small guide rollers next to angled guide pins can adjust up and down to align the tape to the heads. The supply reel likely has no torque from the old idler to retract the tape into the cassette. Also common are a worn slick pinch roller causing tape to skew, and the back-tension band can lose it's felt lining, comes unglued from age and may fall down onto the top of the chassis, will have no back-tension to keep the tape against the heads and cylinder. Used to replace worn out head cylinder assemblies on those, the machines were good enough overall to go through one or two sets of replacement heads before other stuff like the lower cylinder was too worn out.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

The reels seem like there tight . But im going to order all the parts from pac parts they have them listed on there website . I think Im going to replace the pinch roller and back tension band . That's the part that is long and looks like felt on it right , it raps around the take up spools right . Or is that some sort odf brake for the spools .
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
The reels seem like there tight . But im going to order all the parts from pac parts they have them listed on there website . I think Im going to replace the pinch roller and back tension band . That's the part that is long and looks like felt on it right , it raps around the take up spools right . Or is that some sort odf brake for the spools .
Yes that sounds like the back-tension band. You really need a way to measure the back-tension after you replace it though. A Tentelometer, or a back-tension tape with a spring loaded internal scale to set it at the proper 25-30 grams back tension. Not things the do-it-yourselfer will likely have. About all you can do is guesstimate it by the position of the back-tension arm once you get the new band installed. And the reels should be tight in stop mode; the reel brakes are applied unless it's moving tape then they retract away from the bottoms of the reels. Common for the reel shafts to be dried out of lubricating oil. I used to pull them off and lube the reel shafts. You'll need a C clip tool to do that.
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes I know I need a c-clip tool . How do I get the reels out . I don't see any screws but I could be wrong . Can I oil them in place ? or I need to pull them out and do that . I need to order the parts this Wednesday from pac parts . Im going to get knew new belts and captain rubber roller and idler wheel too . But the Idler wheel is kind of hard and will catch sometimes and sometimes not only in FF Not RR the reels are spiting out the tape in play too . so Im thinking she needs a new rubber pinch roller too .
Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Pull off the front panel, remove the front loading assembly, and it will be easy to work on. If you don't want to remove the reels if you put a tiny drop of oil, like thin sewing machine oil, on the C clips and shafts on tops of the reels the oil will gradually migrate down the shafts. Better than nothing.

Pinch roller works in Play or Record modes. A bad one will cause the tape to skew up or down against the exit guides and mistrack at the audio-control track head next to the capstan. Linear audio gets recorded on the top edge of the tape, the speed control track is on the bottom edge. Very important that tape path is smooth, no wrinkling at the top or bottom edges of the guides.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-16-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok got you I order the parts from studio sound when I get them Ill post if I come into problems . I really want this vcr working . The last time I had it playing a VHS tape it played but sometimes the bottom of the tape was wrinkled from rolling past the rollers . But now when I was testing it the tape is skew out and not go back into the reel for play .My first place is to remove and oil the reels and all the other gears too . I have some light oil from radio shack that should work out fine . Ill let you know if I have problems . I may need a new pinch roller . Im not sure .
Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

These machines have clutches that wear out. Look under the transport and they usually have a felt ring between two plastic discs. The discs polish after extended use and can cause a lot of problems. The clutches used to be available everywhere but I haven't done anything but the Sony machines lately. If I remember right, that is a Panasonic transport. Be careful with oil. The reel tables on a lot of machines used a special plastic lubricant. Regular oil can bind them up. It's been a long time but I think it was called molykote. Can you post a picture of under the transport?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Yes, Panasonic-Matshushita. The take-up clutch would wear, almost bind up, torque rough not smooth, cause excessive flutter in the tape speed you would hear on SLP linear audio especially, garbled audio. They used a conventional light oil on the reels, nothing special. You could clean that off and use some molykote. I bought some molykote for plastics recently on 'bay, 2 oz, for about $6 shipped.
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

It's also commonly available from Honda/Acura parts departments in a 75 gram jar. My work carries them:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-par...m77/08798-9010
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I solved the problem with the reels not Rewinding and FF it was the belts and idler wheel . I replaced them all now all is good so far , But one problem I need to replace the pinch roller and cant figure out how to remove the Pinch roller . Do remove the hole Metal bracket and go from there . I tried to remove the white plastic piece but no go . So how do I take it off for replacement .
Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got the new pinch roller by using two screwdrivers and prying up on the plastic holder for the roller . But now I need to remove the tape loading belt and am wondering how to remove the loading motor so I can get at the motor belt for that . If some one knows please explain it to me . I don't want to break any parts in the process . But The two belts under the vcr is changed . Just Have to change thwe load belt and that's it .
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Studio sound electronics there email don't work and there's not telephone number for them as of Dec 01 2013 . I just wanted to tell you guys that .
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

You have to disassemble it, remove the worm drive shaft to replace that belt.

I think it's the one have attached. Or similar enough. First I would suggest you take a felt-tipped marker and mark the positions of the gears together in the full up-eject position before you take it apart. I think you can remove just the two screws and the support angle to get to the belt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pana-fl-belt-1.jpg (52.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-24-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Audiokarma