Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Hi Johnny,

Welcome aboard! I use Sony Sound Forge to process tape recordings and clean them up. Then I burn them to CD. This would be one way for you to do this, that is run the tapes through a computer program and clean them up (remove hiss, hum, etc.) and then burn to CD. The other way would be to play back the tapes and run the audio through a good EQ and if the audio is good to begin with as you indicate it might be, then I would adjust the EQ to remove any minor problems and burn to a stand-alone CD burner. Either way requires you to use a good quality tape player. Any units that introduce noise or distortion into the audio will just make your job much harder. Also if you go the software route, you have to have an adequate computer and good sound card and burners.

I have processed a good deal of recordings with software and a lot of it has been 1960's off-air recordings like what you have. I am always looking for more copies of anything from this time period particularly space shots, assasination coverage, elections, breaking events, etc. preferably if it is network coverage. Good luck with all of this.

Gilbert
Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
JohnnyMarks

Thanks, Gilbert! That's certainly a way to go and one I'll check out! Appreciate the reply! Johnny
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Maybe its just be, but i swear that the noise on the AM band has gotten much worse over the last ten years. I live 20 miles east of WTAM, the 50KW talk station in Cleveland, and some days, the interference is so bad, i cant hear it at home, or even driving in the car. Is it something with the powerlines, it always seems to be worse near any power lines now, no matter what type they are. It used to be that only the high tension lines created any interference, but now it seems all powerlines are just as bad. Is Ohio Edison using them for data transmission or something?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 PM
For the Love of the Music

Also this might work....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMarks View Post
Thanks, Gilbert! That's certainly a way to go and one I'll check out! Appreciate the reply! Johnny
You could use a stand alone Sony CDR recorder. Record every thing direct into that. I make my CD starting with LPs (some CDS) Put them on a RTR tape then to the Sony CDR and then pop the Cd into this computor and my copies. Gave out 40 plus last year in place of cards that get tossed

Bet those tape are fun! Good luck

Eric
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Nice set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
Maybe its just be, but i swear that the noise on the AM band has gotten much worse over the last ten years. I live 20 miles east of WTAM, the 50KW talk station in Cleveland, and some days, the interference is so bad, i cant hear it at home, or even driving in the car. Is it something with the powerlines, it always seems to be worse near any power lines now, no matter what type they are. It used to be that only the high tension lines created any interference, but now it seems all powerlines are just as bad. Is Ohio Edison using them for data transmission or something?
I was born in the wrong decade too!! Thank God and good engineering I have just about all the cool audio I want. Saw you setup. Love itHad a Fisher 400 with those speakers with a Dual 1010S, a Sony TC 255 and a Panasonic 8 track in college. Had several 500s I fixed up in this decade. Should have kept the 2nd 500. It had roman numerals on its FM dial. Sweet sweet reciever! Had three systems and I have a rule: "use them!" or loose them.

I listen to WABC on Sat nights when Marliyn isnt here. Sometimes its clear like 2 weeks ago and sometimes is crap like last week. Can get it online but they ommit the commercials. The crap they put in is worse. Funny how my little Zenith 755 transistor radi gets it well and the GE P780 was crap last week

The 40 plus year old radios get AM pretty good. The AM in my Ford factory radio is pretty lousy. the FM and casstte are fine. Since that set sees a lot of XM I have not changed it out.

Take care Eric
Audiokarma
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
I've noticed some of the same thing here in the Pittsburgh area. Mom likes to listen to KDKA-AM in the morning and sometimes I hear in the signal some interference like someone firing up a diathermy machine or a heavy motor. Come to think of it, KDKA's signal isn;t as great at time since they switched to the new 1994 antenna and retired their 1937 one. They should have kept the latter.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMarks View Post
If not, pardon the intrusion! I've got 100's of hours of analog tape recorded over the past 40+ years..a lifetime of radio really. It's all at 7-1/2 and 15ips on good quality Scotch and Ampex tape..thick mil. My hope is to aquire what I need to transfer these reels and cassettes to DAT or,better, CD's so my kids and some friends will have them down the road. I'd really love listening to them myself!

Does anyone know what I'd need, and a ball park cost, to do this at home? Or, should I seek out a studio and see if they'd do it for a reasonable price? I'd really give anything to get this done..we're talking hurricane coverage from the '60's, interviews with noteables and just old jock shows...priceless to me.

Any input would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks, Johnny

BTW, I really love that Kitty, Nowhere Man! I'm a slave to 8..3 in..5 out. A right Jolly Group! I visited WABC in '66 and met Rick Sklar..believe he was the PD or GM and Cousin Brucey who was on the air at the time. What a trip. The GM at KRYS in Corpus Christi arranged the meetings when he found out I was going to NYC. Met people at the KATZ agency. Use to be a big national ad agency for 100's of stations. I'm new to these forums and just getting started posting, so please excuse if I pop in "out of context!" I'll get the hang of it!
Thanks for the compliment. That kitty is Pansy, she passed away last year at the age of 19, she had thyroid problems that were under control but she had lymphoma, a form of cancer. Just last week, I had another one pass away, he was 17, Boo, my second oldest cat. He was black, part Siamese, looked like a minature panther. Indications is that it was his thyroid too but we found out too late, his heart gave out. Well, still have 6 cats left, my oldest is 18, Corky, grey & white, she is diabetic and has some kidney failure but we are treating her for both so she is doing quite well with what she has. She the old cat left that I have that was born in the 1980's (1989) and when I was in college. We also have a new kitten, Rascal, he is 14 weeks old. Maybe when I get the time, I'll start a pets thread somewhere.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wish they would bring back more music on AM, I have about 10 or so old AM radios with nothing to listen to on them. A few years ago we had a great AM radio station down here on 1260, it played oldies during the day and old radio shows at night (but as for the oldies mostly 50s and early 60s stuff which I like better than the later 60s and 70s stuff which is nearly all you get on the current FM oldies stations around here). Now 1260 went classical, which I don't like to listen to at all. Sometimes when I'm up late at night I like to listen to Coast to Coast / Art Bell on 640 KFI, but as far as talk goes that's all I listen to. I was just thinking to try hooking up the audio output of my computer up to my signal generator then to an antenna to see if I could broadcast AM to the old Truetone radio on my desk, sort of like the equivalent of playing old tv shows on a dvd player hooked to your old tv but for the old radios.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Wink Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wish they would bring back more music on AM, I have about 10 or so old AM radios with nothing to listen to on them. A few years ago we had a great AM radio station down here on 1260, it played oldies during the day and old radio shows at night (but as for the oldies mostly 50s and early 60s stuff which I like better than the later 60s and 70s stuff which is nearly all you get on the current FM oldies stations around here). Now 1260 went classical, which I don't like to listen to at all. Sometimes when I'm up late at night I like to listen to Coast to Coast / Art Bell on 640 KFI, but as far as talk goes that's all I listen to. I was just thinking to try hooking up the audio output of my computer up to my signal generator then to an antenna to see if I could broadcast AM to the old Truetone radio on my desk, sort of like the equivalent of playing old tv shows on a dvd player hooked to your old tv but for the old radios.
Funny how the signal varies! Sometimes its perfect. Nice and quiet. Other times its just plain noisy.

We have a small station from Hyde Park, NY WHVW. They play just about anything--including 78's I have heard oldies--Bob Wills, a country swing band. Though I would never hear that in NY!! They do blues--even caugh them doing classical. Now the bad news. Only 500 watts. Forget them at night. I do listen to CHWO AM 740. 50,000 watts and they are fun. Just about anything but classical from Toronto,Canada.

I have toyed with getting an FM transmitter to run out my old portable radios. I'd even take an AM trasnmitter as I have a GE P780 and Zenith 710 that are AM only and work well despite being over 35 years old. I do have a XM set that broadcasts over FM. Run that to my big systems and to the portables. Run it through my big Zenith TA 3000. My daily player. On the nightstand. Gives my my morning dose of WQXR FM and evening dose of AM 740 or XM's 40,s,60's or Jazz 71.

Enjoy, its a great hobby!!!

Eric
Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

No decent AM around here

Quote:
I've always enjoyed repairing old tube & transistor radios; however, mine never get played when they are fixed because there is nothing decent on AM around here (Meridian, MS) anymore. We have a total of 6 AM stations in the area. Two of them are news / talk radio and the other four play gospel music. One of the four gospel stations play Southern Gospel (I can sometimes deal with it). The other 3 play urban black gospel music. One of the ones that plays black gospel was a darn good station at one time. They actually had real DJ's and they played old country, big band, rock, etc. The music selection was much better than what the average FM station plays. That particular station was flooded with phone calls from angry listeners when they changed the format to urban gospel. Did it do any good? HECK NO!! I heard that the station is not doing any better now than they were when they played good music. When are these people that run these station going to get a clue that not everyone wants to listen to talk and other garbage on AM? We don't even have an oldies FM station anymore. What we had switched to (c)rap music.

About two years ago; I found an old Gates yard tube broadcast mixer and a couple of QRK/Russco turntables. I'm real close to purchasing one of those 100 mW AM transmitters and then I can hear what I WANT TO HEAR on AM for a change!
Audiokarma
Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 PM
<----Zenith C845

You'd be hard-pressed to find very many 50kW AM stations these days that play music. I live near Cleveland, and all of the local AM stations except one are either talk, news/talk, sports or religion. The exception is a 5kW station on 1260 kHz, formerly WIXY, now Radio Disney WWMK. As WIXY in the '60s through 1978, the station played top-40 music of the time; I have tapes of their old jingles from the station's glory days. Now 1260 is nothing but 24/7 Radio Disney. Music, yes, but unfortunately not the music I grew up with as a teenager in the late sixties and seventies.

Except for small-town stations and a few Canadian broadcasters (such as CHWO-AM 740 in Toronto), AM music radio is dead--well, almost. WABC-AM in New York has an oldies program on Saturday nights from six to ten p.m., complete with the old 77WABC jingles. My personal favorite oldies station from NYC for years was 66WNBC, until NBC sold its operated stations to Emmis Communications in 1986 (and the NBC radio network was disbanded; I was sorry to hear that, since one of my favorite programs on the network was the NBC Monitor Beacon which was broadcast on weekends; it went off the air in 1975 after 20 years). The station boomed into northeastern Ohio after dark and had an excellent signal in the Cleveland area all night long.

The "oldies" FM station in Cleveland, WMJI "Majic 105.7", isn't what it once was, either. I suspect these days they are playing some '80s classic rock as well as the '60s-'70s oldies they have been playing all along, since the station flipped to oldies from '70s rock in 1981.

I don't listen much to FM radio anymore because the programming powers-that-be at 105.7, which from 1981 until about five years ago was one of my favorite stations, have decided to add '80s classic rock to the station's oldies playlist. These days, I listen to Internet radio, mostly AOL Radio with (((XM))) Sixties on Six and Seventies on Seven, and my own oldies CDs and cassettes. I have a collection of soft-rock cassettes as well, which I listen to on occasion. AOL Radio with (((XM))) is great, not only because of their great selections of '60s-'70s oldies, but because the programming is entirely commercial-free. Seventies on Seven has no DJs ("jocks" as they are referred to these days); Sixties on Six has the old jingles every top-40 station in the country had in the '60s, live jocks, and of course the best selection of oldies from the '50s through the early '70s (before disco).

All hit music has migrated to FM these days, leaving just about every major city in the US with nothing much to listen to on AM--unless you like talk, sports or preaching. All-news stations are good for keeping up with the news while you are driving or otherwise on the go, but other than that, AM is little more than 24/7 talk, talk, talk.

AM music radio is not entirely dead yet, however, as there are music stations in smaller towns and cities. WNIO 1390 and WAKR 1590 are two music stations (standards) that still survive in northeastern Ohio; the first is in Youngstown, about 100 miles from Cleveland, and the second is from Akron, about 30 miles south of Cleveland. If you want to hear good AM music from anywhere else, however, you have to look around the dial at night. WSM in Nashville, for example, still plays country-western and (I think) still has the Grand Ole Opry. I'm sure there would be a storm of angry phone calls and e-mails to the station if it ever dropped that program or the C&W music it plays the rest of the time.

AM and FM radio, however, are losing much of their listener bases to Internet and satellite radio. The big 50kW giants operated by huge media conglomerates such as Clear Channel, CBS Radio, et al. all stream over the Internet; as a result, many listeners are abandoning OTA (over the air) FM radio for the live streams over the Web. (I have three stations bookmarked in my browser--two from Phoenix, Arizona and AM 740 in Toronto.)

Like it or not, the times are changing, and AM radio is not even a ghost of its former self anymore. AM, for the most part, is talk radio these days, and will continue on this course indefinitely (at least as far as the 50kW giants are concerned). Internet radio stations and satellite radio are the services many folks listen to in the 21st century; the glory days of top-40 AM radio are gone forever except for the efforts of small stations in small towns and cities, which are trying to keep the memories alive. There is even a small FM station, operated by a school district in the next county south of here, that plays standards and big-band music from the 1930s through the fifties. I can get it just fine OTA, even in stereo, as I am only perhaps 20 miles from the transmitter; however, if I listen to it these days, I do so via its Internet stream. Their web URL is http://www.wkhr.org; their callsign is WKHR, operating at 91.5 FM.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I've noticed some of the same thing here in the Pittsburgh area. Mom likes to listen to KDKA-AM in the morning and sometimes I hear in the signal some interference like someone firing up a diathermy machine or a heavy motor. Come to think of it, KDKA's signal isn;t as great at time since they switched to the new 1994 antenna and retired their 1937 one. They should have kept the latter.
When I lived in suburban Cleveland, 18-20 miles east of the city, I had excellent AM reception, but one station in particular (50kW then-WGAR-AM 1220) would come in louder than normal whenever I would pass by a pole that supported the school speed-limit sign (I lived near an elementary school at the time). I've always wondered why. The only explanation I can come up with that makes any sense to me is that I may have been directly in line with the station's daytime signal pattern when I walked near that pole. I did not notice this, however, with the other 50kW station in Cleveland (then-WKYC-WWWE-AM, now WTAM 1100) or with any of the smaller stations (Cleveland has a handful of 5kW stations, one 1kW station, and a bunch of stations 1kW or less in the suburbs).

I was not aware that KDKA-AM had changed antennas in the mid-'90s. What happened? Did the old tower come down in a storm? If the original antenna tower had been up since 1937 (57 years), it may have been due or even overdue for a change.

KDKA-AM, like most 50kW AM stations these days, must share its frequency (1020 kHz) with smaller stations, in accordance with new FCC rules that did away with clear-channel AMs (and allowed former daytime-only stations to operate full-time under certain conditions) in the mid-1980s. It may be, since KDKA is no longer a "clear channel" station, that its signal isn't as strong during the day as it once was; at night, the station may have to reduce its power output and/or change its signal pattern so the latter is directional (concentrating the signal in one direction). The station may be running directional during daytime as well.

How far are you from KDKA's transmitter? If you are some distance away, the signal could be weak to begin with; any interference could chop up or even mask it entirely.

Interference to AM radio is a real problem these days, even more so than it was, say, 25 years ago. Today we have cellular telephone towers, pager towers, police radio, etc. all operating at the same time. If you are near any of those towers, your AM radio reception could and likely will be riddled with noises; the noise you report on KDKA's signal that sounds like diathermy could be interference from a nearby cellular or pager transmitter.

Noise levels in apartment buildings are often high as well. I live on the first floor of a 2-story building; my AM reception is often marred by noise, especially on my Zenith C-845. I oftentimes cannot hear a 50kW sports station on 850 or a talk station on 1100 because of the high noise levels. The problem is especially bad when listening to AM on my C845 because the radio has a 6BJ6 RF amplifier that works for both bands, AM and FM; the tube winds up amplifying everything the antenna picks up, including the signals. The irony is, IMHO, that there is no noise whatsoever on FM on any of my vintage radios. Being a ham radio operator, I ought to know why: because AM signals are much more prone to interference from sparking brushes in motors, microwave ovens, etc. than are FM signals. FM is almost completely immune to noise interference, which may be yet another reason why hit music left AM and migrated to FM. It was probably the best thing that ever happened to vintage and classic rock, not to mention classical music.

BTW, I was very sorry to hear (have read in one of your posts) that another of your cats has passed away. I know the feeling, as I had to have my first white cat, Shawn, put to sleep in 2002 (he was in the last stages of severe liver damage at the time, according to the vet). My second cat, Jonah, also pure white and looking exactly like Shawn, however, is doing very well. He's sleeping on the floor about three feet behind me as I write this.

Seventeen years is a very long life for a cat. I'm sure both Pansy and Boo have left you with tons of nice memories. I know my Shawn did, and Jonah will too, when the day comes (heaven forbid) that he either dies on his own or I have to have him put to sleep.

Just remember all the good times you had with Boo and Pansy, and you'll be just fine. If I remember correctly, you still have several other cats around, so you'll have their company for at least a few more years.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-15-2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Additions to post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I forgot to mention that I do scan the AM dial at night. The music stations I've found so far are: WDIA (R&B), WSM, KWKH(?), and WMC (all three are classic country). I heard once that WSM actually planned to switch to sports talk format; but, their current listeners raised enough sand to stop them from doing it. Sometimes I will hear a "music of your life" station; but, I never have been able to catch the call letters. Everything else is talk, talk, talk, yak, yak, yak,... There is an AM station (WIRY, NY) that streams it's audio over the internet. I believe they actually still play records on the air. Now, that's rare in the 21st century!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

[QUOTE= Originally Posted by NowhereMan 66: Maybe when I get the time, I'll start a pets thread somewhere.[/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear about the loss of your kitties. I have lost pets before and it is always a traumatic process. I have two cats which are a lot of company. That would be great to start a pets thread. I bet it would generate a lot of interest.

Gilbert
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
We seem to have quite a few stations on AM that plays music here in the Pittsburgh area. We have one on 620 when they don't do doctor shows as well as their sister station at 770. I found one in the 1100 kc area, I was using a 1965 Magnavox 8 transistor radio to listen to it as I was grilling dinner. It was a simulast of an FM music station. We also have others too. Don't know if you have a lot of AM music in the LA area or not but I guess if you go fishing, you'll find some.

I'm still a talkshow junkie although I cut back except for Glenn Beck and Michael Savage, it seems like to me Rush and to a lesser extent, Sean Hannity are too much like Republican "yes men." There are times I feel burned out, heck I really feel both sides do not have the interests of the common people at heart. I tend to be very conservative socially, morally, and militarily while moderate or even somewhat liberal economically so I tend to favor the independent or independent conservative over the more established ones. Anyways, AM is almost dead at times for me, where I work at I cannot got AM at all so I listen to the local FM talkers (I kind of took to Dennis Miller a little) or FM music, barring that, old radio shows like CBS Radio Mystery Theater and Dimension X on my computer workstation.

I like it when WABC 770 runs their weekend show on Saturdays from 6 to 10 PM with music, it sounds great over my Maggie transistor radio and fabulous over my 1953 Philco.

Chuck
Audiokarma