Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Glad you got it going and those are both nice looking TV's. With a good CRT tester, you could probably jolt that weak CRT back to life.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Is that one of those Zinwell DTV adaptors. I picked one up at the G/W for 5 bucks. Brand new, in the box. I don't think it's very hot.
I'm 41 miles from the transmitter, using an amplified set-top antenna.

Yeah, its the Zinwell. I don't really like it. I have two Magnavox DTV adapters and they are much better. We bought the Mohu Sky HDTV antenna and installed it in the attic. it came with a booster and we wired it into our existing cable which had another booster in the basement. It works on all the tv's and picks up 27 channels. No more Times Warner Cable for us. It's the first time I have been cable and satellite free since the 80's.

Last edited by jg6364; 10-05-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: should have been a reply to an individual post
Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Glad you got it going and those are both nice looking TV's. With a good CRT tester, you could probably jolt that weak CRT back to life.

Yeah I need to get another tester. I have a Sencore CR-125 and it doesn't have the adapters for this set. Unless there is a way to hook this up and try it. I would definitely needs some advice on how to do that. I appreciate all of advice on these projects. You guys have helped me out several times.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Glad to see it running again. I always like the PM & PC
GE chassii, otherwise I dont miss GE.

73 Zeno
Yeah, it seems to play good. I was having a little trouble with the stereo sound but found the the coil in the right speaker was a little sticky. I took the speaker out and played around with it until if started working better and now the stereo is back. I will look around for a little 8ohm 15 watt replacement speaker. I thought I would give it another day or two of playing in the basement before I lug it back upstairs to the living room.

My next project will be to see if I can get the color to straighten up on the 85 Zenith Advanced System 3. It's not really bad to watch but its as if the tint is a little off and it won't adjust out like the green color driver is turned up too high. I will get some pictures of what I'm facing. It could be a simple adjustment.
Thanks again

Jeff
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

That older CRT tester is an "atomic blast" model and wouldn't be the best one for the job, even if you had an adapter. I'd highly recommend getting a newer B&K 467, 470, 480, 490, or a Sencore CR70. These have a more advanced rejuvenate function and will come closer to giving you some more life out of that tube, instead of blowing it up. On the B&K models, you'll need adapter #CR23 to test that tube.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That older CRT tester is an "atomic blast" model and wouldn't be the best one for the job, even if you had an adapter. I'd highly recommend getting a newer B&K 467, 470, 480, 490, or a Sencore CR70. These have a more advanced rejuvenate function and will come closer to giving you some more life out of that tube, instead of blowing it up. On the B&K models, you'll need adapter #CR23 to test that tube.

Thanks for the heads up on that tester. I had a feeling it was too old for the job. I found a bk 490 on eBay and it comes with the cr23 adapter. I also want to thank you for your youtube videos on unfreezing a bsr turntable. I had one that was very sluggish and was never able to remove the gear from under the turntable. Your advice with the soldering gun loosened it right up. I took it off, cleaned and regreased it and now it works like new.

I moved to Albany NY from Mississippi 4 years ago. These little projects keep me busy during the cold winter months. LOL.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try this on your sticking speaker. Sometimes over the years the cone absorbs moisture from the air and sags making the voice coil drag on the pole piece. Take the speaker out and put it on the table facing upwards. Get a little water in a cup and use your finger to carefully dampen the cone entirely. Keep water out of the voice coil area. The moisture allows the cone to move back to its original shape. Let it dry overnight sitting with the cone facing upwards. It might just get back into alignment. Have done this many times.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Try this on your sticking speaker. Sometimes over the years the cone absorbs moisture from the air and sags making the voice coil drag on the pole piece. Take the speaker out and put it on the table facing upwards. Get a little water in a cup and use your finger to carefully dampen the cone entirely. Keep water out of the voice coil area. The moisture allows the cone to move back to its original shape. Let it dry overnight sitting with the cone facing upwards. It might just get back into alignment. Have done this many times.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what it was doing. I will take it out in the morning and do that.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I took your advice and took the speaker out last night and followed your instructions. It worked like a charm. The set it back to crisp, clear sound. Thanks for your advice

Jeff

Last edited by jg6364; 10-06-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6364 View Post
Yeah I need to get another tester. I have a Sencore CR-125 and it doesn't have the adapters for this set. Unless there is a way to hook this up and try it. I would definitely needs some advice on how to do that. I appreciate all of advice on these projects. You guys have helped me out several times.

Adaptor problems ?? You can make a universal adaptor for any
checker that will do any tube except some RCA & Zenith jugs that use
spring contacts. ( & those to if you pull the plastic key ).
You need a socket for the cable,some wire, manual of checker & a bunch of
small hook type clips. Hard to put in words but think about it
& it will come to you. If not will help. Setting are pretty much
universal except very small odd ball CRT's. The GE with the
soft tube is still pretty bright so it will probably take a shot
nicely.
Now lets get that Zenith on the bench & work on it !!!

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6364 View Post
Yeah, its the Zinwell. I don't really like it. I have two Magnavox DTV adapters and they are much better. We bought the Mohu Sky HDTV antenna and installed it in the attic. it came with a booster and we wired it into our existing cable which had another booster in the basement. It works on all the tv's and picks up 27 channels. No more Times Warner Cable for us. It's the first time I have been cable and satellite free since the 80's.
I have several Magnavox DTV adaptors. Once in a while, you can buy them at
the thrifts, very cheap, as they're totally dead in the water without the remote.
Also, who was the brilliant one that designed the OEM remote?
The channel up-down buttons are tiny and poorly located. Older people have a hard time using it, as some just like to step up or down, to find their favorite channel.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have several Magnavox DTV adaptors. Once in a while, you can buy them at
the thrifts, very cheap, as they're totally dead in the water without the remote.
Also, who was the brilliant one that designed the OEM remote?
The channel up-down buttons are tiny and poorly located. Older people have a hard time using it, as some just like to step up or down, to find their favorite channel.
Yeah the remote is a little weird but it have a better guide than the Zinwell. I was thinking about trying another one that I found on amazon. It has a pvr function, just plug in a usb drive. I'm curious about the reception and display quality.

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-15...+converter+box