Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Trinitrons with Component Video?

I'm just wondering, did Sony make any of the regular curved-glass type Trinitron TVs with component video inputs? I'd love to get my hands on one, if they did. I know most of the FD Trinitrons had component video inputs, but I find the geometrical distortions that are present due to the flattening of the picture tube a bit annoying. I love the component and RGB picture on my Sony PVM, but at 13", it's a bit small unless you sit really close to it, and I figure I'd have a better chance at locating a Trinitron TV locally rather than a larger PVM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a couple Sony KV25XBR with a 34 pin connector on the back. According to this guy: http://www.inwap.com/inwap/chez/kv25xbr.txt
pin 21 is the digital/analog selector for RGB in, and it has various sync options.
Is that what you're after? (I know it's not a trio of nicely labeled BNC connectors...) I've never set mine up that way.
This was a nice set in its day.

Chip
Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Chip, that connector only accepts RGB video, not component (R-Y,Y,B-Y) video.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know some PVM's accept Y/Pr/Pb, and aren't flat, but those can be a tad pricey.

But WELL worth the price. Not exactly BPC. Though black. Mines an ugly medical creamish white cause mine was for medical/computer use.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

I found a rather cheap looking later model 14 or 15 inch Sony in a white cabinet that had component inputs on it. I think it was a 2005 model give or take a year.
It's a flat faced CRT though.

I know they must have made some high end Standard Definition Trinitrons (maybe XBR) with Component, I used to see them at the local Video Store right before true HD took off.

The distortion you are seeing may be your eyes playing tricks on you.
When I got my first flat faced CRT Monitor it looked pincushioned to me but it was just that I was used to watching a picture that was bulged outward.
Audiokarma
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it does look pincushioned to me, but that's not why it bugs me. It's more because at the very edges of the picture it looks like the image suddenly stretches out sideways. It's very subtle, and I can't see it on still pictures, but I can see it when things pan around. And also I've noticed corner convergence seems worse on these flat front sets, honestly.

And that KV-25XBR model with RGB inputs (I assume the 34-pin connector is SCART?) would actually be something I'd be very interested in, if I ever found it locally. Component is nice for DVD players, but I do also have a lot of old game consoles that I would love playing in RGB on a screen a bit bigger than that of my PVM.

Incidentally, I was looking on Craigslist and I found a Trinitron about two hours from me that just looks awesome, although I'm sure it at most would only have a composite video input. 27-inch set with a nice metallic bezel and fake wood grain on the case. I'd love to have that, but I'd probably try to mod it to take an RGB signal, if I could.
EDIT: Looked at the picture again, and it may actually be real wood on the case. Hard to tell from the photo, though. The guy says he'll take some more for me.

Last edited by jmetal88; 08-13-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetal88 View Post
Incidentally, I was looking on Craigslist and I found a Trinitron about two hours from me that just looks awesome, although I'm sure it at most would only have a composite video input. 27-inch set with a nice metallic bezel and fake wood grain on the case. I'd love to have that, but I'd probably try to mod it to take an RGB signal, if I could.
If it's the kv-2771R in Raymore, yep, only composite.

http://preciod.com/mx/televisor-sony...1r-Scujx.venta

Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
If it's the kv-2771R in Raymore, yep, only composite.

http://preciod.com/mx/televisor-sony...1r-Scujx.venta

Yep, that's the one. I really do love the way it looks, though, so I'm seriously considering the trip anyway.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

jmetal88 wrote: "And that KV-25XBR model with RGB inputs (I assume the 34-pin connector is SCART?) would actually be something I'd be very interested in, if I ever found it locally."

Hey, it's only an 11 hour drive to central Ohio... In my book, anything under 12 is local enough.
Plus, Component to RGB converters are about $70 or so...

About this time last year I gave away many video monitors in the Great Analog Purge of 2012. In addition to a few Panasonic 4-input low-end production monitors, I sent away a 20" medical-issue PVM clone. Had full front-panel engineering adjustments, multiple input types, and was PAL/SECAM selectable as well. Kept my PVM-20M4U, a pair of 25 XBRs, and a little 13" stereo "baby XBR". Most other newish CRTs left in that purge as well.

Chip

Last edited by Chip Chester; 08-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Kept my PVM-20M4U, a pair of 25 XBRs, and a little 13" stereo "baby XBR". Most other newish CRTs left in that purge as well.

Chip
Do you have the original pedestal stands and side speakers for those KV-25XBR's? I'm jealous, all I have is the KV-20XBR that was a thrift store find without speakers or remote but with the original manual. That isn't actualy a scart connector in back by the way.
Audiokarma
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
Do you have the original pedestal stands and side speakers for those KV-25XBR's? I'm jealous, all I have is the KV-20XBR that was a thrift store find without speakers or remote but with the original manual. That isn't actualy a scart connector in back by the way.
Oh. Okay. Yup, you're right. I looked it up and SCART is only 21 pins, not 34. But I'd still love something 24" or larger with a curved-face CRT and either component or RGB inputs.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Hey, it's only an 11 hour drive to central Ohio... In my book, anything under 12 is local enough.
Plus, Component to RGB converters are about $70 or so...
I hope that was supposed to be sarcastic. Gas would cost me somewhere around $120, there and back. It's like a 1400 mile round trip! I don't like to spend anything more than about $40 on collecting a CRT TV (even though CRT TVs are the only kind I own right now, haha).
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I have the pedestal and speakers (re-filled, sadly) for the one that my estate will have to dispose of. The set "on the bubble" has no pedestal, but I do have speakers in various states of disrepair that could go. PM if interested, as I don't want to run afoul of terms here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetal88 View Post
I hope that was supposed to be sarcastic. Gas would cost me somewhere around $120, there and back. It's like a 1400 mile round trip! I don't like to spend anything more than about $40 on collecting a CRT TV (even though CRT TVs are the only kind I own right now, haha).
Sarcastic, to be sure. Some say my sense of humor is so dry it evaporated months ago. Although I have gone to great lengths for collector stuff before... like a three-day marathon to fly to Phoenix and drive back with a rental car full of sports car parts. (Seller was older, and could not swing pack and ship for a complete driveline...)

So no, I wasn't "expecting" you.

Chip
Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I found a rather cheap looking later model 14 or 15 inch Sony in a white cabinet that had component inputs on it. I think it was a 2005 model give or take a year.
It's a flat faced CRT though.

I know they must have made some high end Standard Definition Trinitrons (maybe XBR) with Component, I used to see them at the local Video Store right before true HD took off.

The distortion you are seeing may be your eyes playing tricks on you.
When I got my first flat faced CRT Monitor it looked pincushioned to me but it was just that I was used to watching a picture that was bulged outward.
Yes, most of the WEGA flat tube sets had component, except for the cheapest versions. I think there were a few 32" XBR curved face sets with component video, but I'm not sure about that. I'd have to look at some manuals. RCA had a line of 16:9 curved face CRT sets with component inputs in the 90s.

Charles
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
I have a KV-25XBR with the foot pedal controls pedestal. That pedestal is rare, and i fact I've only ever seen mine and a handful of others. The speakers were mal-engineered, and all went bad at about 5 years old by the foam surrounds turning to powder, and the voice coils seizing up. They sold an upgrade kit, which would you need to verify is in there, if you buy a pair of those speakers. What I'd like to find, is a KV-25DXR

Charles