Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
C'mon, guys ! LAY OFF the Politickin'...Y'all KNOW better...
Sorry Sandy.... We dont want ya to close my thread..... (I guess its just too much of a temptation)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusnyder View Post
The goverment tried several years ago to ban ammonia household refrigerators by offering $15.00 per appliance to anyone that would turn one in to collection.
Weren't the GE monitor tops the last ones to use ammonia? If so whoever decided to offer that incentive has no concept of what would be needed in real life to get someone to destroy such a prized antique.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-21-2015, 03:00 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Weren't the GE monitor tops the last ones to use ammonia? If so whoever decided to offer that incentive has no concept of what would be needed in real life to get someone to destroy such a prized antique.
Seems to me that the general public places no value on any antique with a cord hanging off it.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Nope, GE at least used ammonia up till at least 1940. My 1938 GE uses ammonia. It's cool to listen to it bubbling in the lines...bloop...bloop....
Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
M is for Memory

Neat, I did not know they made them that long.

Jon, That depends on the folks in question. My folks tossed my grandparent's GE monitor top in the 90's only to wish they had listened to me when they later learned crappy ones can fetch a couple hundred.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I don't think there are any regulations about collecting and storing old TV's, they simply don't want them tossed in the trash, river, side of the road, out in the woods etc.
There's a large amount of lead in CRT glass, it does leech out into the ground (and into the water eventually) if it gets broken, like it would if it goes to the landfill.

There are millions of CRT sets in the U.S. alone that will need to be replaced and disposed of eventually even if digital and flat screen had never happened, nothing lasts forever and pretty much all of them newer than 1980 aren't of much collector interest anyway.

There's a road I take home from work that is a dumping ground for old TV's (and oil, dead horses & so on) They all wind up broken and leeching into the ground.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Neat, I did not know they made them that long.

Jon, That depends on the folks in question. My folks tossed my grandparent's GE monitor top in the 90's only to wish they had listened to me when they later learned crappy ones can fetch a couple hundred.
You saw the Monitor Tops at the Landmark and the Terminal in Milwaukee.
Per the owner, Joe, they contain Sulfur Dioxide refridgerant. Not much friendlier than ammonia. If you breathe it, it turns to sulfuric acid in your lungs.
IIRC, they still use ammonia refrigerant for skating rinks and large cold storage warehouses.
BTW, when the large fire occured at the Patrick Cudahy plant, the Cudahy, Wi. police evacuated the town, a two mile radius, from the plant, because of the fire might cause an explosion of the ammonia thanks.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
There's a road I take home from work that is a dumping ground for old TV's (and oil, dead horses & so on) They all wind up broken and leeching into the ground.
At least the horses are compost.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:26 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Ok, somebody tell me if I'm just plain wrong here...

1) Lead was alloyed with CRT glass back in the 60s to provide shielding for the X-rays produced by HV.

2) A better term than "alloyed" in the case of glass is "vitrification", which means: To change or make into glass or a glassy substance, especially through heat fusion.

4) Vitrification is also used to stabilize nuclear waste. From Wiki (but I already knew this): Long-term storage of radioactive waste requires the stabilization of the waste into a form which will neither react nor degrade for extended periods of time. One way to do this is through vitrification... [waste with water burned off] is fed continuously into an induction heated furnace with fragmented glass. The resulting glass is a new substance in which the waste products are bonded into the glass matrix when it solidifies. This product, as a melt, is poured into stainless steel cylindrical containers ("cylinders") in a batch process. When cooled, the fluid solidifies ("vitrifies") into the glass. Such glass, after being formed, is highly resistant to water

5) Everybody understand this? You cannot, through any natural process, separate (leech) the lead out of the glass. This isn't just me saying this. You could literally suck on a piece of broken CRT and would be more likely to die from a lightning strike. Further: IX. Analysis of the migration and leaching of heavy metals from glass This study examines the components of glass and the possible impact of heavy metals if present in the glass could have on the environment and when coming into contact with materials. The study is a testament to the chemical stability of glass containers whether it is migration to food or leaching into the environment via landfills or incineration.

6) They vitrify freakin' nuclear waste with glass. I'm a helluva lot more scared of nuclear waste than something that is still used to transport water through municipal water lines (lead), is present in most copper plumbing systems and the wheel weights on your car prior to 2009 (+/- a few years). And none of that lead is vitrified with glass!

7) The "scare" of lead is that it retards your intelligence. For most of society; too late. On this basis, I would argue that most of what I see in the mainstream media is more dangerous than lead.

8) People who know better are lying to people who don't even know what questions they should ask. These people repeat the lie and spread fear. Fear is the greatest human motivator.

9) I question the motivation of anyone who is involved with step 8.

10) 8 & 9 are why I virtually ignore what popular culture dictates that I should care about. I was brought up not to waste things simply because it is stupid, gluttonous and wrong, not to please the one-world-religion "earth god".

I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Old TVs are better!

The lead on those old CRTs never hurt anybody, unless they ingest it. Yea, kids sometimes eat contaminated dirt, and get lead poisoning, (and most of that was from factory's that used lead). but short of that, most all the CRTs buried deep in landfills don't cause anybody any problems. Worse is when they ship them to 3rd world countries to dispose of them, burning the sets and monitors containing all kinds of plastic chemicals, and most likely people are rummaging through the remains trying to reclaim copper, and other metals, among the leaded glass. Gosh when I was a kid, our main water line to the house was made of lead, and us kids never had any problems with lead poisoning. I'm still reasonably healthy for my age, lead or no lead. I think there still is a lot of older houses using lead piping, and somehow that seems more likely to cause lead poisoning than a buried CRTs. The environmentalists have gone way too far.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

We had a 'frigerator around 1949-50 that was not a monitor top, but still had the motor and belt-driven compressor enclosed in the top, with a lid for access. It developed a leak, and gawd, I can still smell that ammonia to this day. A while after that was fixed and re-charged, the motor froze up and actually caught fire. 'Twas the end of that fridge.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
10) 8 & 9 are why I virtually ignore what popular culture dictates that I should care about. I was brought up not to waste things simply because it is stupid, gluttonous and wrong, not to please the one-world-religion "earth god".

I'm just sayin'.
That's pretty much my way of thinking. We don't need a bunch of modern-day hippies telling us what to do.

By the way, I saw your vitrification argument before, and I can't say anything against it.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:33 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here's a more thorough lead leaching test of monochrome and color CRTs

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php....html?gid=4865

The second table seems to show that it's not the thick, heavy face that's the source of lead leaching out, it's the neck and especially the funnel.

Here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

Quote:
Since monochrome CRTs do not fail the TCLP test, they
are not considered hazardous waste; therefore, their disposal
does not have to be managed as such. These CRTs are still
considered solid waste. Although 9 of the 30 color CRTs were
also less than regulatory lead levels, 21 of 30 samples did
exceed regulatory levels. Therefore, color CRTs found in
computer monitors and televisions may exceed the regulatory
levels for lead given in Title 40 CFR 261.24 definition for the
toxicity characteristic. These CRTs should be considered
hazardous waste, and their disposal should be managed
accordingly.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thank goodness for flat panels and their mercury content then. Much safer.

Last edited by Jon A.; 01-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Audiokarma