Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 PM
console lover

Black Plastic Crap
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Fine Black Plastic Crafted Designer Table Top Cabinet.....

Old 01-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Before the local SA closed they offered BPC CRT sets, and I even once bought a 1952 Philco split chassis set from them.
Depends on the district I guess. The head honcho for this province was planning to try to persuade fearless leader to ban TV donations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Yeah I know of some schools that make a big deal of separating recyclables only to dump it all into the same garbage hopper....You are right about it being 'monitory green'. The old reds are the new greens, and they have found some ingeniously devious ways to indirectly get their way.
Someone ought to film this happening and put it on YouTube. I'm sure it would go viral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Well, lessee now... I have ALL SORTS of interests that go AGAINST the grain of what is "Socially Responsible"... I drive one of the WORST gas hogs on the hiway-A V-10 4X4 Excursion, I have OVER 100 Guns of all various shapes, sizes, & calibres, including a LEGAL full-auto Uzi, I have a HOUSEFUL of ancient radios & TVs that have God only knows WHAT kinds of Noxious Pollutants THEY have, & I kicked at a Puppy here the other day.. Not only THAT, but I ALSO tore off the "Do NOT Remove This Tag" from my Mattress...
You and I ought to get together and go bowling.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Well, lessee now... I have ALL SORTS of interests that go AGAINST the grain of what is "Socially Responsible"... I drive one of the WORST gas hogs on the hiway-A V-10 4X4 Excursion, I have OVER 100 Guns of all various shapes, sizes, & calibres, including a LEGAL full-auto Uzi, I have a HOUSEFUL of ancient radios & TVs that have God only knows WHAT kinds of Noxious Pollutants THEY have, & I kicked at a Puppy here the other day.. Not only THAT, but I ALSO tore off the "Do NOT Remove This Tag" from my Mattress...
Excellent Sandy!!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Problem is, who wants say a circa 1996 Emerson 32" BPC set? I'd wager nobody.....

No problem for me Kamakiri,, I have a 2006 Toshiba with a flat CRT and I love it..oups, it's a 32' and I have a Zenith 1971 CRT 25' that I want to restore...And i'm looking for a some schematics for my zenith...
Audiokarma
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
WHY DONT THEY DONATE THEM ALL TO SALVATION ARMY????? -- PLENTY OF PPL WHO LOVE THEM AND STILL WANT THEM!!!!!! (Im sure alot they get WORK w/o issues)
My local Salvation Army used to accept CRTs. They had one side of an isle filled with mostly post-'90 sets. Months would go by with only a handful selling through in the 10 to 20 dollar range. The congestion eventually got to them and they taped a big piece of paper on their donation door that had "NO CRTs!!" scribbled on it in a juvenile fashion. Only portables below 10 inches in size are stocked these days.

Most people in my area, looking to get rid of theirs CRT(s), place them by the curb with a "free" sign. Over this past summer, I saw at least 8 curbside CRTs within walking distance.

It saddens me that there aren't any electronics-exclusive thrift stores (at least in my area). It would be a good way to keep this stuff out of the rain & perhaps even re-purpose items properly.

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Old 01-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Well sure, but would you want 20 or 30 of them? That's the problem.

And it's not just DTV that caused the issue and changeover either. It's that everything is going to HDMI cables.

My 15 year old son needs a setup with HDMI cables for his PS3. I've had it hooked up to standard sets before using an RF converter and a 3 RCA cable setup, but the problem is that some of the game systems don't automatically go to that input, even if the same port on the game system is used. It has to be plugged in to an HDMI port set, then you enter setup, and change the output configuration on the console for it to work.

Since his game system goes back and forth between his mom's house and here, it's far too much of a PITA to do. And with the games he plays, he really needs the widescreen format.

The Sony DLP set in his bedroom has had a weak light engine for the last year (light green blob on the screen), and now there's something wrong with the HDMI port, so I have to pick up a 32" flat screen for him when I get the spare cash.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
And it's not just DTV that caused the issue and changeover either. It's that everything is going to HDMI cables.

My 15 year old son needs a setup with HDMI cables for his PS3. I've had it hooked up to standard sets before using an RF converter and a 3 RCA cable setup, but the problem is that some of the game systems don't automatically go to that input, even if the same port on the game system is used. It has to be plugged in to an HDMI port set, then you enter setup, and change the output configuration on the console for it to work.

Since his game system goes back and forth between his mom's house and here, it's far too much of a PITA to do. And with the games he plays, he really needs the widescreen format.
Problem diminished!

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Well yeah, that'd work, but since they are both into vintage electronics like their dad, there'd be nothing worse as a deal killer to that budding interest than saddling him with a BPC.

The same 15 year old is doing a restoration on an RCA SHF-3 tube stereo and just sold a Victor VV-90 that he brought back to life, and my 11 year old is most of the way through a 1949 Admiral 30A1 television. They enjoy vintage electronics as much as I do, but there's a time and place for that.

He's patient, and will just wait for another one or will end up buying it with his own money.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Sandy
You are welcome to my street anytime. We even got a gun store
with everything from BB's to full autos. No crime, gee wonder why ?
I am sure its not that 90% of the town is armed

Anyhows break up the CRT's some so they pack well. Take em back to old lead mines & bury them. Its the green way. You would be restoring
the natural enviroment of the mines. Kinda like restoring wetlands
or a fishery. Any leaching of the lead would probably less than before
it was mined.

I too am a tag ripper. I also pull warning tags & grind down
polarized plugs. Even landfilled some mercury cells, oh the humanity !
Its my little way of fighting back. To old to fight tyranny at a
bridge at this point.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 AM
sampson159

about 8 years ago,a couple of guys were going around to antique and junk stores claiming they were from the epa.they were taking sets from owners and threatening them with fines and jail time.here we have fines if you dont take a crt to the recycle center for proper burial.i never saw a shovel in the place.every week a semi leaves the place loaded.unmarked,and unnoticed.my best friend drives that truck.government is out of control.if this is real,then show me the bodies of this situation.why are we living longer if all these things are so deadly?another way to fleece the public
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
and I have a Zenith 1971 CRT 25' that I want to restore...And i'm looking for a some schematics for my zenith...
If you can post the chassis number then I should be able to send you the factory schematic, and possibly the full service manual (though my manual collection is less complete than my schematic collection).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Sandy
You are welcome to my street anytime. We even got a gun store
with everything from BB's to full autos. No crime, gee wonder why ?
I am sure its not that 90% of the town is armed

I too am a tag ripper. I also pull warning tags & grind down
polarized plugs. Even landfilled some mercury cells, oh the humanity !
Its my little way of fighting back. To old to fight tyranny at a
bridge at this point.

73 Zeno
Damn, I've got to visit some time and smuggle a little something back. I might need it if packers come knocking at my door.

I pulled my sheets for laundering last night, so off came the mattress tags. Affixed in accordance with the law eh? Warning tags are an open invitation to me. I removed a bonded Thomson yoke once; the last piece to go had the label that said not to try to remove the yoke.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:01 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Damn, I've got to visit some time and smuggle a little something back. I might need it if packers come knocking at my door.
Funny, the folks out here try to acquire those to fend off bears fans...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma