Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Newcomb R164V school transcription record player

I just recently bought this tube-type Newcomb R164V record player/PA system off ebay. This is a four speed model with pitch control and it's their "baby" transcription phonograph, using a single ended EL84-based amp (similar to what's in the smaller 12" models). I haven't looked it over good yet; but, I think it was made in '71 (I think tubes hung around for a bit longer in the school record players). This uses the newer box style tonearm; so, I can believe that this is from the early '70's. It uses an 89T powerpoint cartridge; but, I may upgrade it to a better quality ceramic cartridge (maybe a Pfanstiehl P228). Of course, this will play the big 16" records; which, is the main reason I got it. One day, I'd like to find the TOTL model with the PPP amp and magnetic cartridge.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a nice one... Good find,
And a nice amp
Too
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM
David Thomas

I used to do work for the local school board, and done quite a lot of record players. I always thought the Newcomb and VM units were a little better than the Califone and Audiotronics models (even though the designs were fairly similar).

Looks like you got a nice one there!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM
M is for Memory

You lucky dog! I've been searching for a 16" transcription player for years, and the only one I've seen for sale was out of my budget....Though it occurs to me just now that I never looked on ebay.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember interviewing with Mr. Newcomb in about 1971. He was up in years then, so I'm sure he is no longer with us.
Audiokarma
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Out of everything that's out there that will play 16" records, the institutional record players are probably the cheapest units that will do the job. They were made by Newcomb, Audiotronics, and Califone in both tube and SS models (the tube models seem to be more common).

There are companies that sell currently produced 16" turntables; but, they are expensive. There is also the option of finding an old Gates, QRK, or Rek-O-Kut 16" broadcast turntable; but, those are getting rare and very expensive. Back during the late '70's to the late '90's, you could have gotten all of the radio station turntables you wanted for free because many stations were dumping them when newer technology came along. Now, they are sought after and getting expensive. I'm sure there are still some stashed away at some older radio stations; but, I think most station owners/engineers have figured out that these things are valuable and probably won't be so quick to let go of them. I'd like to have a pair of 16" radio station turntables; but, the only way that will ever happen is if I manage to find a pair locally (doubt that will happen) because I can't justify spending thousands of dollars for a pair on ebay.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I suppose I am lucky, I inherited a Thorens TD-124/II with an SME 3012 from the original owner, who got it in 1967... that will play transcription records, although I don't have any, and it does a damn good job on LPs. The Thorens is probably the reason why as much as I like portable record players, I just don't use them too often.

If you look on eBay, cheaper 1950s 12" tonearms do come up from time to time - it wouldn't be overly challenging to fit one to any sort of turntable - I wonder how this one will end http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Rek-O-Kut-...item19e8761924
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
I used to do work for the local school board, and done quite a lot of record players. I always thought the Newcomb and VM units were a little better than the Califone and Audiotronics models (even though the designs were fairly similar).

Looks like you got a nice one there!
I have a VM school player. The turntable is similar to a VM 1200 series changer, but without the automatic parts. Has a 6X9 speaker and a solid state amplifier, with a mike input.
The Califone model, I have is a 1450K, similar to the one in the other thread, but with a mike jack. It also has separate bass and treble controls, where the treble is also the mike volume. Solid state of course.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Not sure how I got here.

We had one like that at our elementary school for among other things gym class.....

When ever we came in to the gym and saw that record player set up, we knew we were in for a few days of.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFofqe26t-4

to start off our morning.....
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yep, remember this one when I was a lad of 7. We in Adaptive PE did this too. I was a multiple President's Physical Fitness Award winner.
Audiokarma