Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lantern battery will never cut it. All the tube heaters plus the vibrator B+ supply will look like almost a dead short to a lantern batt.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Where are you located? Reason being, I have a near-new DuraCell Ultra gel cell, 6V 42AH battery. Only used once for servicing a friend's '41 Buick radio. Probably will never use it again. Sucker weighs about 12 pounds (the battery, not the radio. )
I'm located near Bristol, Indiana which is about 10 minutes from the Indiana/Michigan Border, and about 2 hours from the Indiana/Ohio Border and the Illinois/Indiana Border.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Lantern battery will never cut it. All the tube heaters plus the vibrator B+ supply will look like almost a dead short to a lantern batt.
Ok, I wondered about that, but wasn't sure.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-OF-2-...0AAOSwsc5e48Qg

Here's a pair of 6V 12AH batteries, buy these and put them in parallel and you've got 6V at 24AH available to your radio for under $30 shipped.

Keeping them charged is then a simple matter of any of the multitude of cheap chargers also sold on the 'Bay ........
I'll give those a looking at.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
What am I missing here? the radio has a 4 amp fuse and a 908 lantern battery is rated at 13 amp hours.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DURACELL-908-5LE26

jr
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2021, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
What am I missing here? the radio has a 4 amp fuse and a 908 lantern battery is rated at 13 amp hours.

jr
I dont know, but I know it wasn't working for me, the fuse is fine, and I wasn't getting anything out of the set, not even a buzz from the vibrator. I had forgotten to mention I was working on this radio for someone and I just got off the phone with him and he said he wasn't interested in pursuing repairing the unit any further after I told him it wouldn't work on anything less than a 6V car battery.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 6V golf cart battery for running my '36 Philco, it was a return or something like that so I only gave $55 for it I think. I think they are cheaper than 6V starting batteries and better suited for the job.

EDIT: I had to open the vibrator and clean something in it before it would run on that Philco, which also has a synchronous vibrator. seems like I also had to replace the capacitors around it too but I don't remember....
Old 04-09-2021, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I dont know, but I know it wasn't working for me, the fuse is fine, and I wasn't getting anything out of the set, not even a buzz from the vibrator. I had forgotten to mention I was working on this radio for someone and I just got off the phone with him and he said he wasn't interested in pursuing repairing the unit any further after I told him it wouldn't work on anything less than a 6V car battery.
Offer him a few bucks for the radio. It seems like an interesting set. He's probably interested flipping it.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Offer him a few bucks for the radio. It seems like an interesting set. He's probably interested flipping it.
You're right he is interested in flipping it. I'll ask him if he'd let me have it or even just buy it off of him.

He has the grille cloth for it as well.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
I have a 6V golf cart battery for running my '36 Philco, it was a return or something like that so I only gave $55 for it I think. I think they are cheaper than 6V starting batteries and better suited for the job.

EDIT: I had to open the vibrator and clean something in it before it would run on that Philco, which also has a synchronous vibrator. seems like I also had to replace the capacitors around it too but I don't remember....
This unit uses a 6 pin positive ground vibrator. Which I can't even get it out of its socket to check it.

As for golf cart batteries go, I saw those over at batteries plus and thought about getting one of those, but the cheapest one they had was $150...
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2021, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
This unit uses a 6 pin positive ground vibrator. Which I can't even get it out of its socket to check it.

As for golf cart batteries go, I saw those over at batteries plus and thought about getting one of those, but the cheapest one they had was $150...
I have to be really desperate to go to Batteries Plus. They're nuts with their prices.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have to be really desperate to go to Batteries Plus. They're nuts with their prices.
Where else am I going to find a 6 volt golf cart battery? I dont think auto zone or advanced auto or Napa is going to have those.

EDIT: They do have them but they are the same price $129 for a 6V golf cart battery.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-09-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK So I checked over at NAPA and they had some 6V SLA Batteries there for about $45 and under.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBPE...6+volt+battery

The link above was one of the batteries they had at NAPA.

Would that battery work with this radio?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by init4fun; 04-10-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post

jr
Point taken. Looks like the alkalines have come a long way since the old zinc/carbon types. A fresh new one oughta at least evoke some sign of life out of the radio.
Audiokarma