Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwharris View Post
Use Firefox web browser instead of Internet Explorer and you will never have this problem again.
This is the second step of owning a computer. The first step is "buy a computer".

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
behind the scenes

Has anyone had any issues this afternoon?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Just got this one again:

[SID: 24443] Web Attack: Suspicious Browser Fingerprinting 3 detected.

The IP address from the offending attack is 188.72.214.151
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Just got this one again:

[SID: 24443] Web Attack: Suspicious Browser Fingerprinting 3 detected.

The IP address from the offending attack is 188.72.214.151

That address is in Hong Kong
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM

I tried having Symantec backtrace it, but it didn't work. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

nothing today. seems safe again.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up a NASTY virus while on AK last week.
I'm even an I.T nerd, and have gone 7 years on this desktop system without a virus...EVER.
The one that got me, and about wiped my system out is the "XP 2010 Virus".
I am staying off both sites for awhile, but just wanted to give a heads up. The virus has many monikers depending on your operating system, but it's the one that looks like it is from Windows and says you have about a zillion infected files. If you get it... do a HARD SHUT-DOWN of your system and for god-sakes.. don't be tricked and download anything from it.
How it got me.... I left the page up, and went away from my computer. By the time I got back.. the virus was fully installed.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
i <3 my Denon

I've said this before....I've said it a thousand times.

Its these frickin ad networks. I know site owners need to make money...and ad networks are in the business of selling ads and ad space...but the problem is these people are already being dishonest...so they're even more dishonest...purchase legit looking ad-space, but use it to distribute scamware.

I know several people who have broken all ties with every ad network they used on websites because of their inability/unwillingness to scan ads before putting them out there...knowing full well there's a chance its going to infect lots of people with these fake spyware scams.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Peanut Head

I'm running Firefox and No Script which along with Avast! is doing a great job of keeping the nasties at bay.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I picked up a NASTY virus while on AK last week.
I'm even an I.T nerd, and have gone 7 years on this desktop system without a virus...EVER.
The one that got me, and about wiped my system out is the "XP 2010 Virus".
I am staying off both sites for awhile, but just wanted to give a heads up. The virus has many monikers depending on your operating system, but it's the one that looks like it is from Windows and says you have about a zillion infected files. If you get it... do a HARD SHUT-DOWN of your system and for god-sakes.. don't be tricked and download anything from it.
How it got me.... I left the page up, and went away from my computer. By the time I got back.. the virus was fully installed.
....and you were not alone. Immunization from Spybot, Full-AVG protection, and an at-start-up Malwarebytes run did nothing for me. Funny thing is, I didn't open anything, or click on anything - just brought up VK from my Favorites link. I was reading thread titles when AVG alerted me to the problem. No other software running, no other sites being browsed. A quick run of AVG and Malwarebytes, and I was back up. Two hours later, I braved VK again, and bam - another threat detected. Cleaned up things, made a call to my brother-in-law. He's a writer/tech geek/IT expert for a media service. He checked out VK with his computer and he said it's all "server side" scripts placed there to infect. VK mods, you might check with the hosting service - the script hackers are making things unpleasant for some of us. We know VK isn't the problem, just the servers hosting VK.

My solution for now is Google Chrome with a couple of mods (placed there by my B-I-L) and lo and behold, I now just get the warning that a script is being blocked. Most prevalent is the one mentioned above - the "XP2010.exe" script. I'm on a Win 7 machine, and this happens only on VK (I haven't ventured over to AK).

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I moved into Ubuntu and set up a dual boot. Im done with Windows for web stuff. Just to risky.
So Im back to annoy all!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
I'm running Firefox and No Script which along with Avast! is doing a great job of keeping the nasties at bay.
That's almost identical to what I have. Just upgraded to Firefox 9 and have used NoScript for quite a while, not sure exactly how long anymore, with AVG AntiVirus, but it works. Haven't had problems with viruses, etc. for quite a while now -- in fact, I don't honestly remember the last time I had a virus on my system. AVG AV is absolutely great, keeping a watchful eye on my entire system and letting me know the second it detects anything out of the ordinary as far as viruses, Trojans, worms, etc. are concerned.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

That XP security 2012 is what I got week before last, too. I lost alot of stuff before I got rid of it. The "top rated" anti-virus couldn't get rid of it, and it was here (and updated) before the virus got me!!!

I wondered where it came from...
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Luckily for me, Symantec Endpoint Protection is good enough to stop these attacks. Just got another one a couple minutes ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symantec
[SID: 24089] Web Attack: Malicious Toolkit Website 9 detected.
Traffic has been blocked from this application: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Traffic from IP address 178.17.163.189 is blocked from 12/22/2011 10:43:22 PM to 12/22/2011 10:53:22 PM.

Apparently whatever script is running wild out there, it's got the same MO: attempting to download and install malicious programs on our PC's. Good thing most of us have decent AV software, those things fool a lot of people.

Note to admin: is there any way possible to stop the forum from loading those scripts that are known to be harmful, or do we have no choice because of the sever?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

NOD32 did not stop it. It got to where I could remove XP2012 in 2 minutes but after getting nailed 5 times networking was so screwed up the computer would no longer acquire an IP. That's when I gave up and re installed XP and Ubuntu as a dual boot.
I wonder why the host hasn't detected this and deleted the entire site from the server.
Audiokarma