Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 AM
sampson159

i ve had same kind of thing happen to me.had a deal and was on my way to trade a ctc20 for a ctc9.trade with some cash involved.5 hour drive.50 miles from the destination,he calls and says he changed him mind.his buddy,a painter,told him how valuable his set was.chassis was dead,crt tested marginal,etc.someone else offered more and he was going with them.its not the other guy who is at fault.its the person you made the deal with.they are not honorable.my background is sales.i was a sales trainer and we are pretty skilled in many aspects of behavior.i didnt suffer much from the squashed deal.found an even better ctc9 and the ctc20 went to a much better owner.its human nature to want as much as can be had,so these issues dont bother me much.when this deal falls through,there usually is a better one near.this guy,who was an aker missed out on a really great set.when he first contacted me,he was giving me the lowdown of a couple other akers he did some business with.nothing good to say about them.i have also done business with these akers and found them to be straight up,honest people.as a matter of fact,these two are held in the highest regard from everyone who knows them.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
Just curious, where do you find this stuff? Craigslist? I don't want to ever miss something like this should it pop up near me.
I'll be more friendly than Miniman and say that you want to check all online and offline places you can think of. CL, Ebay, Goodwill's auction website, the ETF classifieds, etc, etc, and in person venues Like garage and Estate sales, flea markets, antique shops, radio collector and HAM swapmeets...The list goes on.
I'm not as vigilant as I once was. I'm may need to move soon so I've paired down and try to only buy things I've wanted a long time...Problem is I want to save most things I see so I lately I've been trying to avoid running into any electronic 'lost puppies' that would follow me home.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'll be more friendly than Miniman
Second thought, I'll keep my AX's.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Good decision, IMO.
Kevin
Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'll be more friendly than Miniman and say that you want to check all online and offline places you can think of. CL, Ebay, Goodwill's auction website, the ETF classifieds, etc, etc, and in person venues Like garage and Estate sales, flea markets, antique shops, radio collector and HAM swapmeets...The list goes on.
You forgot "friends in the hobby". I saw a used AXP for sale a while back and let Nick know about it, but not surprisingly he was already familiar with it. Sharing leads with fellow collectors can go a long way towards goodwill. Many of the best items I've ever found were from referrals from other collectors who didn't want the items for themselves, but were glad to share their leads with me, as I have done with them in the past. Same with parts, service info, and sets that we own.

I think miniman82's post was logical, honest, and certainly not mean-spirited. I myself hold back many of my sources from others because I don't need the extra competition for future items. A lot of us have spent many years in this hobby building up our contact lists, and those who are newer to the hobby will just have to learn to find their own, as we once did. There are still a lot of untapped resources out there.

Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2016, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
its the person you made the deal with.they are not honorable.
Not necessarily. There are a few characters here (and also several on ARF) that seem to take delight in spoiling other people's deals. They will contact the seller and tell them lies about the potential buyers, or tell them they are being taken advantage of, or use other persuasion to nix the original deals.

That's why if you are interested in something, make the deal yourself and complete it before coming here to ask if an advertised set is a good deal or not. otherwise you are just giving away your good lead.

However if you see something nice that you don't personally want for yourself, share that lead. If you see something here in Wisconsin that you know I may be interested in, PM me about it. If you see something in Texas, PM a favorite Texas collector. When you share leads like this year after year, you build up friends in different locations that will in return share leads back with you. You scratch my back, you may become number one on the Ohio area contacts list I have to share leads with from your area.

Just posting things at random on the "Curbside" forum probably won't build you up any loyalty for return favors. But if you see something great, and you have no favorite contact in the area it is for sale in, then post it here on the forum to help make sure one of us gets it to at least preserve it for future generations.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post

That's why if you are interested in something, make the deal yourself and complete it before coming here to ask if an advertised set is a good deal or not. otherwise you are just giving away your good lead.

This is exactly the advice I have given after seeing people post their Craigslist find here only to have it snatched out from under them.

I never post anything I'm interested in until it's already in my house, doing otherwise is just asking for it to be snagged out from under you.

The competition isn't just well known members here, there are lurkers who you may never know about looking for deals as well.

Well, this sure has drifted off the original topic hasn't it?

Philco123 have you had any luck at all? I don't know how many NOS AXP's are left out in the world, not too many I suspect.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
No offense meant, just trying to better answer a reasonable question, that you responded oddly to.

Jim you are quite right about asking other collectors, that is another one on the list, but lately it seems every time I'm asked something with multiple correct answers I spit out a different sub set of what I know....Perhaps I'm getting old.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Jim you are quite right about asking other collectors, that is another one on the list, but lately it seems every time I'm asked something with multiple correct answers I spit out a different sub set of what I know....
I just added one to your list, your suggestions were great.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm getting old.
You're a long way from getting some of the senior citizen discounts I now qualify for! Glad I don't feel I'm as old as the calendar says I am.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 PM
sampson159

it lies in the seller.if you give your word,then you keep it.i will always tell someone,1st come,1 serve.nothing personal,but its just business.i have made many deals with akers and if i give my word,i keep it.its not about the money,its about the principal.your word is your bond.buyers have offered me more than i ve gotten but if i promise and go back on it,then the problem is me.so if you have something to sell,either honor a deal or its 1st come,1st serve.over 60 years in the sales trade,i know a little about it
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2016, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
it lies in the seller.if you give your word,then you keep it.i will always tell someone,1st come,1 serve.nothing personal,but its just business.i have made many deals with akers and if i give my word,i keep it.its not about the money,its about the principal.your word is your bond.buyers have offered me more than i ve gotten but if i promise and go back on it,then the problem is me.so if you have something to sell,either honor a deal or its 1st come,1st serve.over 60 years in the sales trade,i know a little about it
Oh, I call BS there. I've met you, ain't no way you're that old!!

If you are, you must have spent a considerable amount of time in front of powered up shunt regulators to slow the aging process
Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

if you are dealing with CL total strangers then have to go with the 1st come 1st served no deals over the phone. I have bought a lot of stuff on CL, its amazing the stories I hear from sellers about folks that ask all kinds of detail questions, directions etc... and then never show up. I suppose after that happens a couple of times the no way are they going to listen to some story and hold something. Now what I have done esp if there are distances involved, is offer to paypal some good faith money, not a lot, like 10%. I tell them look if I am not there by X time, then you keep the money. That way the problem is mine not theirs about me showing up. And if you get there late and its gone too bad, you should have made better trip plans or it just your tough luck. I am not a lawyer, but in effect you have made a contract (exchange something of value in the deposit is important here IIRC) that you may actually be able to follow up on if someone actually accepts the paypal and then sells the item before the time has elapsed. Right now I have way more stuff than I need so my CL TV days are past. That being said I do have a ctc-5 super with a good CRT! one of my early CL scores.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No offense meant, just trying to better answer a reasonable question that you responded oddly to.
It's odd that I want to protect my sources? Good thing you're not in the news business...
Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
It's odd that I want to protect my sources? Good thing you're not in the news business...
The sources that are not obvious you certainly don't have reason to divulge, but I don't see any indication he was digging that deep (so no need to lecture him on that). Why not be friendly and point him at the obvious places that he would likely eventually think of on his own (and avoid mentioning your 'secret fishing holes')? VK is a friendly helpful community, ain't it?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 PM

I'm really not having a pedantic public discussion about why I do the things I do with a moderator, PM me so we can stop contaminating this thread which has now gone completely off the rails.