Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 630

Hi All;
I just got a 630 chassis and 10BP4 CRT tube from MikeH.. I used the Money that was origionally going for the Caps for the 8T243, that I have.. But, I think I got a great deal.. THANK YOU Mike.. So, now I will need to make a new Cap list.. I have NOT plugged it in, Nor am I planning on doing so.. I have been so scared, about doing so, from the Discussions.. And I don't want to get into that, here.. It has got alot of surface dirt, but otherwise it looks good.. I plan on checking the tubes, and stuff like that, which doesn't cost me anything.. I want to do this set RIGHT !!! I hope Bandersen hurries up and makes his 630 Videos.. THANK YOU to everyone for all the Help and support.. I almost forgot, Anyone who wants to have someone nice and caring and helpful, would do well dealing with Mike.. THANK YOU Mike, you went beyond what anyone would expect..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I am still Drooling all over the chassis.. But, I guess that is one way to clean it up..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
RCA 741PCS

Yeah, I will be starting on mine soon. I got all the parts a couple weeks ago Good luck with yours.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I got tubes preliminary checked, no shorts.. My tube checker is acting a little funny, so for now.. I will leave it as is.. Cleaned the Chassis, took out all the pieces of leaves from under the tubes and cleaned all the tubes.. I have Found and decided what to do about my Bleeder resistor problem.. I still need to ohm out the Transformers.. And start doing a resistor check.. When I can afford it, I will get the Electrolytics,, and then do an initial power up, to see what else shows up.. With Variac..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 01-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Power Transformer seems to ohm out OK.. That's a relief .. I wouldn't be a happy camper otherwise..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

1) Take your time-Haste makes waste
2) Quit before you get frustrated-It'll be there tomorrow when you're fresh & not aggervated
3) If you don't know, ask questions
4)Take your time-Haste makes waste
5) Just THINK what you're gonna have when you get done...And you did it YRSELF..
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Yes, Sandy, But the last time I asked for some advice.. I didn't get any answers.. Tomorrow, I plan to Put a light Bulb in series with the Power Transformer and checking all the voltages.. That is with all the Tubes Taken out, so all I'm checking is the Power Transformer, all by itself.. And then do some cleaning of the chassis.. And, Just so you know, I learned about TV's and voltage, especially high voltage, when I was a kid.. Been, shocked a few times.. And, yes it bears repeating, even for us old guys, as well as the youngsters of today..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have powered up the transformer, thru a light bulb.. The Voltages, are all OK.. Thank Goodness..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have started to Pull Caps.. I take a picture, pull a wire or part lead off, take some more pictures, pull another lead, take some more pictures, etc., until only the Cap is left.. Then go on to the next Cap.. When I go to put something back in, (I haven't decided, just what or what method I will use for Recapping) I will still Ohm out each wire, as a double check.. But, pictures are worth more than just guessing, even with an ohm meter..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
RCA 741PCS

Sounds like a good plan. Glad your transformer is OK
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I just got Tonight, the Electrolytic caps that I need for my 630TS.. I found that when I ordered only what I needed. And only the Electrolytics, I have been able to keep the cost down, by alot.. Aftetr selling some equipment, I had enough to get the caps.. My roomate figured out how to take the cans apart, So the next step is filling the cans.. Since I am sick or at least no energy, I can't say how soon or late it will be to complete the task.. After that I will bring it up with a Variac..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
I just got Tonight, the Electrolytic caps that I need for my 630TS.. I found that when I ordered only what I needed. And only the Electrolytics, I have been able to keep the cost down, by alot.. Aftetr selling some equipment, I had enough to get the caps.. My roomate figured out how to take the cans apart, So the next step is filling the cans.. Since I am sick or at least no energy, I can't say how soon or late it will be to complete the task.. After that I will bring it up with a Variac..
THANK YOU Marty
Good luck with the restuffing. I find restuffing electrolytic capacitors to be quite a chore, but of course well worth the effort in the end. I look forward to seeing your progress as I am also working on a 630ts.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
VTS, I know that, and watch with interest what you encounter and your progress.. Once, I get mine so, I can power it up, then we can compare notes.. Thank You for your help and support.. I am hoping that Bandersen will have time in the near future to work on His 630.. His videos are so good, and are of immense help.. I also, greatly appreciate all of the many guys who have been doing thing for so long and know that to do, at the drop of a hat or cap.. I look at your video, and don't see half of the stuff that they see.. I'll need to re-look at it again..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
what method I will use for Recapping
In case you haven't already seen them . . .

This recapping article covers various methods of restuffing electrolytic cans:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

And this article describes 630TS restoration:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/RCA630TSTelevision.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Looking For Time

This is where I learned how to restuff electrolytic cans.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22501148
It is in a sticky on the tech forum here. I'm still working on getting the crimp to look original when I'm done. Although you can't see that part of the job after you mount the can, I still like it to look as untouched as I can. My best advice is to work the crimp section off of the can as slowly and deliberately as you can. The cleaner you can get that to straighten out, the cleaner it will be to "re-crimp" it back into place.
Audiokarma