Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I don't have picture, but I have almost all of the caps replaced.. The only exception is the Audio section, which works fine for now.. I am going to need to do an A B comparison between the 630 and the 830, and see If I have a wrong connection..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have the picture sort of back, I can get a Raster that almost looks like there is something there.. Or I can get a raster that is about 1 inch high over and over again on the screen.. It is not rolling in either direction, I can get the signal to lock in.. Not sure what the trouble is yet..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I have had my 630 on its side and then it has no voltage.. But when it is sitting correctly, it has some voltage, since I get a picture.. When on its side I don't have the picture tube in the set.. I have it upside down now, without the picture tube, and will try to measure the voltages.. Is this because of the tubes being OLD or don't some of them work when laying on their side ?? Or is it my being too old ??
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
RCA 741PCS

I find your post a little confusing. Are you saying that the set doesn't turn on when you have it on it's side ?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, sorry about the confusing statement.. When the set is on its side, I get NO high voltage.. But, put it upside down or rightside up and I get High voltage.. With the Set upside down, and my Variac set to 110 volts input, I get on the 5U4 pin 8, and C220A, Field Coil, I get 259 volts, If I up the input voltage to 120 volts, the the reading is 290 volts at pin 8 and the Schematic shows 300 volts at this point.. But, If I put the chassis on its side then the Voltage is 0.. I think it mostly is that my 5U4's along with all of the rest of the Tubes are all old..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Are the 5U4 filaments lit when you lose voltage?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Clean the pins on your 5U4G rectifier tubes and make sure they are seating firmly in their sockets no matter how you turn the chassis.

Cleaning tube pins and sockets is so important that I always do it BEFORE any recapping.

http://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm

Every tube, new or old, needs to make clean connections inside its socket, or all bets are off.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, I just tried the Chassis on its side since the other day and I got filaments and I also have voltage.. The 5U4's and the 6BG6 are all held in by holding rings.. The 6BG6 is out right now, since I don't have a picture tube in the set.. I am not sure what has changed since then, maybe I didn't have as good of a ground connection as I had thought.. It was thru an aligator clip wire..
Phil, I will need to wait awhile before I have the funds for some Deoxit.. and find a place that locally carries it..
I had wanted to test the Video amps, with a video signal from my B&K 1077b and output with my scope.. Since the weak picture suggests that they may not be correct, or that the tubes are not doing their job..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM
RCA 741PCS

You won't get HV without the 6BG6 installed.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, That the whole idea.. With no picture tube installed in the set, I don't need the High Voltage lead with 10K banging accidently into my arm, while I am trying to take some readings, either with the scope or with the volt meter.. Since, I am working on other sections besides the High Voltage and the Horizontal sections, I don't need to worry about them at present..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM
RCA 741PCS

You stated earlier "When the set is on its side, I get NO high voltage.. But, put it upside down or rightside up and I get High voltage.."

I thought that was the problem you were trying to track down.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM
M is for Memory

The lines below 2kV and above heater voltage are called B+ (and B- in some cases).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Sorry, I used the wrong terminology What I mean't was the B+ and not the Really High voltage.. Now I understand what the confusion was all about.. I was thinking of Voltage higher than Filament voltage, but lower than Picture tube 10K voltage.. I know about using B+, but it completely slipped my mind and thoughts.. Which is also, why I had trouble the other day, most likely I didn't have something connected or turned on and didn't realize it.. And so I thought I had 0 Volts on both my scope and on my meter.. Then later, when I had the set right side up, I did something different.. I have know Idea what it was or is..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-16-2013, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I Think I found out what the problem was.. The plug from the TV (cheater cord) or the Socket on the Variac is intermittent, and so most of the time it will work, but sometime with only slight movement of the Plug from the cheater cord, and I have no connection..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
I will need to wait awhile before I have the funds for some Deoxit.. and find a place that locally carries it..
Deoxit is sold at guitar and music stores. You can also get it online usually for a buck or two less than the in-store price. Google Deoxit.
Audiokarma