Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

pic of it now.

just note, the color circuits are NOT operating, its in black and white, but it looks color because of purity.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14
I redid the dynamics, and i got the bottom and center to perfectly converge, but the top and the extreme right wont converge. If i try to converge those, it throws the rest off.
Perfect convergence is not always easy to achieve. In most cases, you will not achieve "perfect" convergence. Like you said, you adjust for one side, and it throws off another side. It's a real pain in the butt!

Sometimes you must go thru all of the steps 2 or 3 times to get more improvement. I usually end up doing it several times before I reach a point that I feel is acceptable.

At least, you've improved it greatly since yesterday.

Also, take note of the temperature of your alignment tools after taking them out of the coil. If you happen to notice that the tip is unusually warm after removing it from the coil, that particular coil could have a short.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

clearer shot, but white balance screwed up on camera.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

there are only 3 coils. the rest are pots.

i never adjusted the coil part yet, i dont have those tools.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:29 PM
heathkit tv

Speaking of alignment tools, anyone have a preference to brand or place to buy? My ancient (30 years!) Rat Shacks are worn to a nub. Thanks

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried to turn one of the coils with a flathead, and it crumbled the feret core slug all to peices!! NO!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are the degauss coils around the face of the tube ok? If they are use them to degauss the tube. You should be able to umplug them from the chassis and apply 120volts ac to them directly. I would use a variac so the voltage could be lowered to the coils and they do not shut off all at once. The thermister works by directing ac to the coils when cold then as it heats up it usually acts as a short so no current flows in the coils. If they are in series with the coils the resistance increases as they get hot and current doesn't flow through the coils.
I usually start by degaussing the set, then I get the static center convergence as close as possible, set the purity, repeat if necessary, then I do the dynamic convergence. Oh yeah repeat as necessary. It doesn't always come together the first time, but each time will get easier. It is also a good idea if you have the sams to follow the dynamic convergence instructions in the sequence they are given. Just turning the controls at random may make it harder to converge.

Last edited by Bill R; 02-23-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

problem: one of the termistors is gone, so the other thermistor I guess continues to run, because the set when it runs, the thermistor will start smoking.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you can find a junk TV with a coil for horizontal hold, that makes a really good durable adjustment tool for convergence circuit coils. I use one salvaged from a Sampo b/w tv. If there is still a piece of the core inside the convergence coil this may be enough to work if you use the hex head tool to turn it...if it is totally destroyed just salvage another ferrite core from a junk coil.

Once you degauss the set you usually don't need to re-degauss it unless it is moved...radio shack bulk tape eraser works good.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

The core is still in there, but when you try to turn it, it seized and it will start to chip some more. it was turning, but I think I turned it a tad too far.
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv
Speaking of alignment tools, anyone have a preference to brand or place to buy? My ancient (30 years!) Rat Shacks are worn to a nub. Thanks

Anthony
Rat Shack used to carry a set that had all you needed. Bought a set there about 2 years ago. Went a couple of weeks ago to buy another set, and it's been replaced with a set that doesn't have near as many hex heads. For the most part, it was a set of tiny screwdrivers and maybe 2 heax heads. No good.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

never use a metal tool in a ferrite slug.
you just found out the hard way ;-)
ratshack iirc has a kit cheap.
unsolder the coil and try to take the slug out from the bottom.
i go to the flea markets in monroe so i can come over and help with the setup.
looks like it is coming along nicely.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

When is this so I can plan?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

really, i need a 6KT8. do you happen to have one? i'm only working with black and white right now.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

I could send you a few 6KT8s, I have dozens of them, they would be used, but tested good. PM me your addreess and I'll send them off.
Audiokarma