Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
I would give $250 to the ETF if Steve McVoy wants this set for the museum. Who will join me in supporting ETF for catching this beauty?

P.S.: send Steve a private email if you would support ETF for catching this set!

Kind regards,
Eckhard
I have mixed feelings. It would help if Steve McVoy would express a position publicly.

In looking at the 30 day bid history for the bidders it looks like the highest bidder is in the US and the second highest bidder might be in Germany.

If I were bidding on a set I would be upset if I lost it due to a concerted effort to have it go to the museum. But I can also understand the desire to protect a rare piece of history.

I guess I'm willing to contribute, but I suspect there are some pretty deep pockets bidding on this.

John
Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 PM
AK Member

I'm guessing around 10,000.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I love old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
I have mixed feelings. It would help if Steve McVoy would express a position publicly.

In looking at the 30 day bid history for the bidders it looks like the highest bidder is in the US and the second highest bidder might be in Germany.

If I were bidding on a set I would be upset if I lost it due to a concerted effort to have it go to the museum. But I can also understand the desire to protect a rare piece of history.

I guess I'm willing to contribute, but I suspect there are some pretty deep pockets bidding on this.

John
It might be yagosaga (he's from Germany and he posted a message there).
Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

John Folsom: Just out of curiosity, did anybody ever come up with a substitute circuit for the Victoreen tube, something that might have employed a 6BD4 or ? I had one of these (with the 21" conversion) with a bad Victoreen, gave up on it, and donated the chassis and O.E.M. 21AXP to ETF. I still have the cabinet (rough), glass front and escutcheon. if anybody has a good use for it let me know.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Reeferman, I am not aware of anyone who has made that conversion, but what you suggest is exactly what I would do. Find an unobtrusive way to mount a 6BD4/6BK4 along with the required resistor divider network and adjustment pot to replace the Victoreen. Should work just fine. When the day comes to restore my Motorola TS-902 chassis, I may have to do just that, as those corotrons seem to have a high failure rate. I have not tested mine yet, but I am nervous. Anybody got any 22-25KV corotrons? :-)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

John,

I removed the Victoreen and horizontally mounted a 6BK4 in its place. I bet I tried every combination I could think of, and tried all 6BK4 circuits I could find in the different Sams. Still couldn't find the right combination. Though the monster cranked out about 30Kv, it gave a decent picture. (By the way, I love the way Motorola took the focus voltage straight off the 2nd anode)

After 35 years of it sitting, I decided I would never get back to it so I donated it to the museum.

Good luck with yours. If I ever find that mine you mentioned, I'll let you know.

Phil
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

John,

I removed the Victoreen and horizontally mounted a 6BK4 in its place. I bet I tried every combination I could think of, and tried all 6BK4 circuits I could find in the different Sams. Still couldn't find the right combination. Though the monster cranked out about 30Kv, it gave a decent picture. (By the way, I love the way Motorola took the focus voltage straight off the 2nd anode)

After 35 years of it sitting, I decided I would never get back to it so I donated it to the museum.

Good luck with yours. If I ever find that mine you mentioned, I'll let you know.

Phil
Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

John,

Phil
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hate computers
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

As much as I appreciate Yagosaga's gesture, I am not going to pursue the set. We have a very nice 19CT1, never sold, in our collection. I think there are better uses for our money.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/motorola_19ct1.html
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Phil, not sure why your attempts with the 6BK4 were not successful, it really should work. Hopefully, when my tie comes, my Victoreen corotron will be OK, and I will not have to fight that battle! :-)
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Slightly off topic, but are there substitute victoreen spark gaps available anywhere or a stash of them available for sale? Mine in a xenon arc projector lamp is bad and I'm having a hard time locating any kind of spark gap tube I can swap in.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I like....big sparks!!

The talk about the Corotron tube got me curious...evidently there are substitutes available: http://www.logwell.com/products/Codatron_Corotron.html
Just don't know if they're rated for the voltage needed.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

a quick scan of the website shows no NOS 6505 tubes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I talked to the owner of this company some time back. Unfortunately they don't make a product which would operate at the voltage or current requirements for a color TV shunt regulator.