Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:42 PM
waves

Question will a CRT TV from the USA work in the UAE?

Can someone help me out with my question. I have someone who wants to know if a TV made for the US market will work in Dubai. Would it work with a DVD player that is made for the US or does it need DVD player designed for 220? Thanks for any helpful answers.
Charlotte
Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 PM
M is for Memory

The power grid in the USA is 120Vac 60Hz, and the broadcast standard used on all CRT era sets was NTSC (some of the later ones could also tune the ATSC system that has supplanted NTSC). I don't know what TV system or power grid voltage(s) they use in the UAE, but if your friend does you will have more to go on. One can get a transformer to step 220/240VAC down to 120Vac (caution sets made before the 80's may be damaged by 50Hz power). Broadcast standards differences can be a problem depending on what your friend want's to do with it. If they just want to watch recordings than a multi-standard VCR or DVD player should do the trick, but if they want to watch OTA TV it could get a bit more complicated.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

UAE uses SECAM video, PAL is common there due to watching certain kinds of video content not available as easily in the Arab world, a hem.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well--There are various options....

You would need a 220 to 110 volt Transformer to be able to power the set, easy enough to source these days, a Site Isolation Transformer should do it...

The Signal to the set assuming it needs an NTSC signal could be provided by one of those cheap HDMI to AV converters, the sound and video from this feeding into an appropriate RF Modulator--maybe rescued from an old video-recorder, to allow the set to receive it using its original Tuner and receiver stages....

Being HDMI sourced, you can plug it into most stuff as the actual picture and sound source.....

I have one of these cheap converters here,--little white box-- Its switchable from NTSC or PAL, Works to play a Blu-Ray (or whatever) on a slightly modified 1953 mono Bush TV 62 set.
(This is a 405 line only set, wound up to run at 625 line....)

Its the only 1950's TV set--possibly in the world--that has an HDMI socket
I got the converter thing from ebay for around a tenner....