Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Go and grab THIS..

It WILL keep your line voltage to about 117 or so..EVEN IF the input reaches about 130 or MORE.

it is rated at 350W...BUT a few members hav ethem and have used them on 5'S and 7's..with NO ill effects..

Know ONE thing...it is NOT isolated though...if that matters. but for line cotrol...it will NOT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLA-ColorVo...IAAOSwFMZWrP9Z
There are isolated line voltage VRTs too. I use three on m main sets, though I use them to deal with low line voltage and annoying spikes, but they will work with high line too.

I've got 2 250VA (W) units each serving serving a 300-340W set and a 500VA unit serving a 500W set. They work very nice ( but they do get kinda hot especially after 3-5 hours on) and even if something like a fridge on the same line kicks on there is no blooming.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Peanut Head

Voltage here is stable @ 127V with summertime peaks of 130V. So far, nothing has blown up.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Voltage here is stable @ 127V with summertime peaks of 130V. So far, nothing has blown up.
I would have the Poco check into it! That voltage is a little too high. The voltage on your line was probably low at one time. Once they corrected the problem, they never changed the primary taps on the area transformers.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here is a picture of my voltage with my space-heater on the lowest setting. The. CTC-25 is quite upset when I first wake it up with the voltage this low.

Last edited by TUD1; 12-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Here is a picture of my voltage with my space-heater on the lowest setting. The. CTC-25 is quite upset when I first wake it up with the voltage this low.
You have a bad voltage drop, that is worth investigating.
What is the lowest setting on the heater? 500 or 750 watts.
Take the space heater to another room and check the voltage on the Watt Watcher. That's way too much of a voltage loss!
Also, portable electric heaters, should be plugged into a wall receptacle and not into a power strip or extension cord.
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 PM
TheUniversalDave1

The lowest setting on the space-heater is 1300 watts. I live in the basement with zero insulation in the wall, so it gets really cold in winter and unbearably hot in summer. I recently got a 1970's window A/C unit for summertime. I should probably switch the CTC-25 to the low voltage tap someday.

Last edited by TUD1; 12-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
The lowest setting on the space-heater is 1300 watts. I live in the basement with zero insulation in the wall, so it gets really cold in winter and unbearably hot in summer. I recently got a 1970's window A/C unit for summertime. I should probably switch the CTC-25 to the low voltage tap someday.
If you're planning to use the air conditioner in hot weather, you'll have to address the voltage drop condition. The inrush current at start, will be a lot higher than 1300 watts and the voltage drop, will be a lot higher. The AC compressor will probably not even start.
I made my real living as an electrician, so I'm not a stranger to these problems.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

See what the voltage is like on a different circuit. That much voltage drop is bad news,
Here in Canada we're allowed maximum 3% voltage drop on a circuit. Maybe there's an extension cord burried in the wall or some
Other fire waiting to happen... I would quit using that circuit with heavy loads until you sort out what's up