Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Square screen CTC-2B?

So I have this spare CTC-2B chassis I got from Chuck Pharis, and I'm wondering: can I use this thing with a square tube? I mean I got it for spare parts in case something terrible happens to my nice chassis, but wouldn't it be sweet to have a square tube running on it? If for no other reason just to see what it would look like. It's been slightly hacked already, someone put a compactron HO tube socket in there and there was a 6JS6 where the 6CB5 should have been. I'm already converting it back, but I'm just pointing out that I don't have to be overly worried about messing with it.

So the question is are there any big neck delta gun square tubes out there, or would I be stuck trying to adapt convergence stuff for the small neck tubes? I unfortunately don't have a spare CTC-3A chassis to use with this crazy scheme, so I'd have to either borrow the one from my 21-CT-55 or make another one. That's fine with me, so if someone out there has a spare 19-25" tube with the stuff still on the neck I'd give it a try.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM
M is for Memory

IIRC the only big neck delta CRTs were early small screen Japanese stuff (14-16" IIRC), 2 surviving 1958 rectangular Westinghouse sets, and some broadcast monitors that seem to no longer exist. Finding a fat neck rectangular is going to be a tall order if you choose to do so.

You missed a good opportunity to get a tube with sweep hardware at the meet. I brought a Zenith CCII console with a good 25" delta CRT that someone landed for a buck.

You should get the right set in the second picture in this thread to put your creation in...http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266920

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 05-04-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 PM

That's what I remember Tom, guess I'm in for a penny/in for a pound when it comes to modifying this thing to suit a later 23V or 25A/X style tube eh? The CTC-2B puts out more than enough HV to run those CRT's, it's just the sweep angles that could be a pain. I do believe the vertical won't be much of an issue, but horizontal could be tricky to get wide enough for a full raster. I guess we'll find out, I'm looking for a square tube set nearby on Craigslist right now.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Hey Nick, Ed has a couple of those 15" Japanese Delta gun sets. I bet you could talk him out of one.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Are they the big neck ones though?

Since I have you, you left your fleece and Ed left his tube of sillycone in my van. What address am I sending them to? lol
Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Yeah, they're the big neck ones. If I remember right, he has one that's really nice that's in his living room, and one sorta crappy one that he saved for parts or something.

Which fleece, that jacket that I gave to you wear while you were there? I totally forgot about it till just now! Hang on to it till the next time you're in Al's neck of the woods and just leave it with him....he'll be coming up this way eventually
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM
BigDavesTV

LOL...if we weren't all TV nerds, already...somebody'd be a wonderin' what was going on in the van, with three guys, a Fleece, and a tube of sillycone! Sorry, I just couldn't help it!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seems like dynamic convergence and pincushion correction might be a major issue. Don't square tubes require extra pincushion circuitry?
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 PM

Yes, but if I have to build my own convergence panel I could probably incorporate a pincushion circuit.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, I would be very interested in hearing whether you can adapt the chassis to use some CRT other than a 15GP22. The supply of good 15GP22s is limited, and even a seemingly-good CRT, like the one in my CT-100, may start to leak at any time.

The 15GP22 rebuild process is fraught with difficulties, as we all know, and who knows when -- if ever -- a foolproof rebuild can be developed. In the meantime, it would be great to have some alternative that lets people watch these historic sets without fearing that the picture may go dark at any moment.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Nick, I would be very interested in hearing whether you can adapt the chassis to use some CRT other than a 15GP22. The supply of good 15GP22s is limited, and even a seemingly-good CRT, like the one in my CT-100, may start to leak at any time.

The 15GP22 rebuild process is fraught with difficulties, as we all know, and who knows when -- if ever -- a foolproof rebuild can be developed. In the meantime, it would be great to have some alternative that lets people watch these historic sets without fearing that the picture may go dark at any moment.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Nick is talking about the ctc-2B from a 21ct55 which is designed to drive a 21AXP22 CRT, NOT a plain ctc-2 from a CT-100 that drives a 15GP22 like you are thinking of.

Nick's work probably would not directly work if connected to a CT-100, but would lay out a template on how to go about finding a way to make a CT-100 drive another tube...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM

The CTC-2 (CT-100) chassis also makes a lot less HV, so would only be suited to tubes in the 19" or so range. The 2B has a way stiffer HV output (makes 25kv easily), and should have no problem getting a decent picture on a 25" tube with the correct convergence circuits in place.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Duh, right. Well, good luck with this project, anyway.

Phil
Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Thanks Phil, it's gonna take some tinkering but I'll get it working.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Man you got more grit than a Army mule.

Audiokarma