Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

b&k television analyst model 1077b. Does it have a use purpose on my bench?

Hey all, I was wondering about if this particular unit had much of a use in a test bench that already has a few color dot and bar generators. Every time I clean out a TV repair shop I end up with another one of these units. Currently I have a stack of three on a shelf along with a 1065 analyzer. All have not been tested which is why I ask this question.

I guess it can do test patterns while my generators can only do crosshatch, dots, bars, etc. But is there a reason to pull these units out and use one?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Technohippie

They are very good for signal injection purposes, providing sweep and video signals at various amplitudes and polarities to inject into various stages of a set.

Personally, I prefer the later Sencore VA62 for that purpose, though. A bit more compact and easier to use. The B&K analysts can provide HOT plate drive direct to the flyback, though, which the Sencore can't do. And the B&K also has the ability to produce custom images by simply creating a new transparency slide for the flying spot scanner.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM
M is for Memory

The B&K also can produce IF test pattern output at both common IF frequencies which helps in troubleshooting dead tuner/dead IF stage issues. There is UHF output if you need to check a UHF tuner. It has 4.5Mhz RF audio that you can inject to troubleshoot dead intercarrier audio IF stages. It can ring test flybacks/yokes. In addition to the mentioned H plate drive, it can also provide V plate drive and H grid drive (also V grid drive IIRC).

IMHO no serious TV restorers bench should be without one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-01-2018, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess I am a bit too new and don't know about a lot of this stuff. I am not sure what you guys mean about plate drives and ringing tests. Like I said I am very new, especially to tube stuff. I went from doing vintage audio restorations to Tvs because they were more interesting and easier to find.

On my bench I have a Sencore VA48 and a VA62 and have really ignored anything on them but the color dot and bar generator since I don't know what the other functions do and have yet to need them. Most tvs here have a few bad caps, maybe a blown transistor. After that the picture needs adjustment and that's it. Are these other tests for special situations?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

The ringing tests check yokes and flybacks and sometimes other transformer for shorts. Basically they force a current pulse through a winding and because of stray capacitance a decaying sinewave appears across the coil. If there is a short the sinewave stops rapidly. There are a couple of specialized meters that do just this test.
The plate drives are substitute signals to drive sweep circuit components. The wave shapes are special.
Audiokarma
Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those VA62 are really nice. There original cost was about $ 3300 in 1987.
I have one. I also have a B&K 1076 that I need to restore.
TVs from about 1990 had a lot of the functions combined into special ICs, tube sets had all the functions divided into many smaller blocks.
If you wanted a challenge TV will do it.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 PM
M is for Memory

Ever had a set where the horizontal sweep circuit was dead?...If you did you could connect the Plate drive from the B&K to the flyback instead of the plate of the sets H output tube...If the screen lights up it clears the flyback and all downstream, if not it tells you to check downstream and temporarily ignore the osc. and output stages. Effectively showing you whether half the horizontal system is working or not.

Same goes for the vert plate drive.

The grid drive can be used to check the output stage if you know the flyback/sweep transformer is good, and think the osc. is working (less useful than plate drive IMO, but if you have a tough problem it may help).

Might help you to look for some period TV service literature and or a block diagram of a TV that explains the operation in detail if some of this does not make sense.

IIRC the instruction manual for the analyst is available free online. That may sell you on it better than I can...Provided you like reading a lot.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really like Sencore stuff as well. When cleaning out TV shops Sencore stuff is what causes the most excitement. Unfortunately most closed shops have been left without climate control and have roofs that have been leaking for years and years so any test gear is usually rough, but working.

"Ever had a set where the horizontal sweep circuit was dead?". Kinda in a way. I see many familiar people here from the thread I have on the RCA tubed set. Would there be a reason to use a unit to power the flyback when the RCA set kinda works? I get that strained whine from the RCA but it would be kinda cool to have the screen show some raster again. Any questions regarding hooking it up should be looked up in the manual to not waste anyones time on a beginner. This RCA has been a pain for over a year (it gets a couple hours of attention every day).

Amazingly the B&K units have the manuals with them, or at least a couple do. Condition may be poor but if they aren't too rotted they should help a lot.

With the last shop clean out I got a large amount of service literature. There is a stack of "RCA service field manuals" and a bunch of other goodies. However there is nothing catered to someone just starting. All literature that shows up is directed to someone who is either professionally trained or something else along those lines. I can read it all but lack the understanding.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was a book called "Television Analyzing Simplified" by Milton Kiver, it deals with the B&K units. I downloaded a pdf copy from somewhere, but I don't remember where. I did a search but I can't find it online now.
Yep, the trouble with old test equipment is that you often have to fix it before you can use it on something else.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
"Ever had a set where the horizontal sweep circuit was dead?". Kinda in a way. I see many familiar people here from the thread I have on the RCA tubed set. Would there be a reason to use a unit to power the flyback when the RCA set kinda works? I get that strained whine from the RCA but it would be kinda cool to have the screen show some raster again. Any questions regarding hooking it up should be looked up in the manual to not waste anyones time on a beginner. This RCA has been a pain for over a year (it gets a couple hours of attention every day).
Oh, you've got that RCA that goes for a bit then fades to dark...Yeah this could be a good place to use the B&K. I'd start with plate drive and if that keeps the set on 30% past it's normal fade time it tells you the fade is in the osc. or output. Alls you have to do (assuming the TV has transformer isolation) is connect B&K ground to chassis ground, unhook the top lead of the TV H output tube, connect the B&K plate drive lead to the plate lead to the flyback that you just unplugged from the H out tube and IIRC set the B&K plate drive knob to Horizontal plate drive position.
Best to start the B&K in standby mode 2-5 min before the TV then turn the B&K fully on at close to or the same time as the TV. If the TV does not give raster at all with the B&K you've either made a mistake, the B&K needs new capacitors, or the set can be added to the two chassis (1972 Sylvania D16 and 1958 GE 14T series portables) I know of that won't work let the B&K H plate drive them.

If you get raster but don't get fade with H plate drive from the B&K (undo the plate drive set up then) pull the TVs osc tube, ground the TV to the B&K and connect the B&K H grid drive to the grid of the H out tube on the TV. On power up keep the room dim and if the H output tube plate starts to glow or raster is not coming up after a reasonable warm-up time power the TV off immediately. Follow the same B&K first power up procedure as described above in plate drive. If the TV does not give raster results are inconclusive, if the raster is constant TV osc needs work, if raster fades same as using TV's internal grid drive then H output stage is at fault.

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

When going through paperwork I found that exact book. I will have to look at it.

My RCA set does not fade to dark. Unfortunately it is always dark. One time on powerup the flyback sounded somewhat close and for just a second the set showed raster. But only for a second until the frequency changed.

Sometime maybe today I am going to pull all 4 B&K analysts out and see if any have life. Hopefully out of the 4 at least one will behave.

Now excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "fade"? I don't think I've heard that term. Is it a term with solid state sets as well? I repair a ton of those but haven't heard that term yet.

Oh speaking of solid state, does the B&K also have a use with solid state sets?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

So a quick update, but I got around to testing these units. I have three of them in a stack and now have them lines up. Unit 1 seems to power up fine but I think the CRT is not filling up all the way. Unit 2 had a broken 12at7 tube which will get pulled from the 1076 unit most likely. Because of the missing tube it did not get powered on. Unit 3 smoked out of the capacitors on board L-24 and the resistor between them did not look all that great. It looks like it's time for a side-by-side restoration.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post

Now excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "fade"? I don't think I've heard that term. Is it a term with solid state sets as well? I repair a ton of those but haven't heard that term yet.

Oh speaking of solid state, does the B&K also have a use with solid state sets?
Fade is not a TV term, but rather a summary of what I think I remember you posting...I thought you described the RCA as powering up with raster and the light on the screen gradually fading out to a black screen as the horizontal slowly died...IIRC you also made it sound as though you could power it off for a while and it would do the same thing all over again.....Forgive me if my summary of what I thought I read is wrong I've had a busy week and there is a ton of crap floating around in my memory presently.

Later B&Ks (IIRC the 1077) were designed to work with SS TVs too.

Unit 1 probably is good enough to try with the RCA assuming it does not fill vertically (if horizontal is small that could be a problem)...Also it may be designed not to fill vertically...IIRC the slide image is shorter than the CRT...The CRT only needs to scan a pinch below and above the top of the image on the slide but does not need to scan to the top of the slide its self...If it did the image would have big white bars above and below it when displayed on a TV which is not what anyone wants.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

There were several models of the Television Analyst produced over the years.
I have a 1075 which is all tube technology, later ones contained more and more solid state circuits and were more capable of being used on solid state TVs. They also added more functions as time went by. I think the oldest was model 1000 and the last was 1077B.
Here is a article on the "Phil's Old Radios" website.
https://www.antiqueradio.org/BK1077B...ionAnalyst.htm
Also here is a link to a discussion on the "Antique Radio Forum" that is also linked to in the Phil's article.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...678&highlight=

You have to remember that old test equipment is made of the same things old radios and TVs are made of, the same power up caution is recommended.