Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Here in SE Wi. The TV ban only applies to decent sized CRT TVs.....So the policy is NOT ALL TVs NATIONWIDE. LCDs and small portables (as well as Karaoke machines with CRT monitors) show up for sale at Goodwills regularly.....Hell I've even seen a pair of 19" BPC color sets somehow make it to one store's sales floor this summer (I can only guess how they slipped in).
Well that's not what I had heard, I had heard that Goodwill wasn't taking TVs of anykind period, and that it was a nationwide rule, at least that's what a goodwill employee told me once.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well that's not what I had heard, I had heard that Goodwill wasn't taking TVs of anykind period, and that it was a nationwide rule, at least that's what a goodwill employee told me once.
Then they were misinformed.....Or this region's management is not following that rule exactly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Then they were misinformed.....Or this region's management is not following that rule exactly.
my guess is its the latter because i haven't seen a single television set CRT or LCD in any of the goodwill stores near me in over 6 months, the last time I saw a TV set in a goodwill near me was in early April, and that was just shortly before Goodwill decided to stop taking TVs, I also tried to take an old Magnavox TV into them recently (it was a mid 1980s 13" color set with electronic tuning and no AV inputs) and they refused it so I ended up taking it to the Salvation Army because they still take TVs yet surprisingly enough. Amd when I tried taking that Magnavox TV in to them was when I heard from the goodwill employee who told me that they had a nation-wide company policy that banned the donation of TVs of any type or size because of safety regulations and because people were dumping too many junk sets on them (like LCD TVs with broken screens or CRT TVs that were knobbed or that were broken or that were too heavy for their employees to carry without risking dropping them on their foot and breaking their foot or throwing out their backs, or TV screens getting busted in donation bins and having to pay to have the hazardous waste cleaned up in their boxes, etc.)
So yeah, i'm thinking more than likely its just that the stores in your region (and apparently in others as well) aren't obeying corporate rules.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

LCD is P/N 1-802-184-11. Cost is $910+$1620 core+ a couple hundred bucks for oversize shipping. Oh yeah, its NLA. Subs up a couple times to new numbers, but they are NLA too.
I guess I'm a little late with the info.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
LCD is P/N 1-802-184-11. Cost is $910+$1620 core+ a couple hundred bucks for oversize shipping. Oh yeah, its NLA. Subs up a couple times to new numbers, but they are NLA too.
I guess I'm a little late with the info.
Wow! That much for just a replacement LCD Panel?! at that price you might as well just buy a new set...

I wonder how it is that Sony was able to get away with charging over $2,000 for a new LCD Panel for their TVs when a new LCD TV could be bought for half the price of repairing the broken set? I'm guessing that's why you don't see Sony in the LCD HDTV market anymore...

Anyways I had once ordered a replacement LCD Panel for an early 2000s Gateway 17" LCD Computer Monitor and all I had to pay for that LCD panel was $20 plus shipping, and I got it off ebay, which I had thought that a replacement panel for that Sony LCD TV would of been about that much on ebay as well seeing as they're both the same technology.

Although it really doesn't matter now because I took that LCD TV back to the Goodwill dropbox, I'll let the goodwill people handle monkeying around with that TV and figure out what to do with it (which more than likely it will get recycled) since its broken, and since they don't even take TVs anymore.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Things were that way back in the CRT days too. I can recall paying $500 for a new 26"CRT to replace in warranty, and the TV was only worth $350 new. Doesn't make sense. I asked the field engineer why they didn't just send out a new TV and have the customer mail back the serial number tag. He could only say that the company can't do things that way.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
Things were that way back in the CRT days too. I can recall paying $500 for a new 26"CRT to replace in warranty, and the TV was only worth $350 new. Doesn't make sense. I asked the field engineer why they didn't just send out a new TV and have the customer mail back the serial number tag. He could only say that the company can't do things that way.
Interesting...

So it seems that the idea for "planned obsolescence" goes back even to the days of the CRT sets and was taken to the next step when HDTV and LCD TVs were introduced in the mid 2000s and then was finalized when the DTV transition happened in the late 2000s...
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Many of the 31" and larger replacement CRT's reached the four figure mark, when you could buy a whole new TV for much less. That was done on purpose to discourage repair of an existing set and to encourage the purchase of a new set.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Many of the 31" and larger replacement CRT's reached the four figure mark, when you could buy a whole new TV for much less. That was done on purpose to discourage repair of an existing set and to encourage the purchase of a new set.
I guess that makes sense considering the way things are currently with TVs...
Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 PM
<----Zenith C845

When you consider how inexpensive off-brand (e. g. Craig) flat screen TVs are these days (I often see Craig FPs advertised for under $100 in the sales ad flyers in my Sunday newspaper), it really doesn't make sense to repair these sets when they develop even slight problems. I paid only $130 for my going on five year old Insignia 19" FP, so when it dies I won't bother even taking it in to a repair shop for an estimate--I will get a new set, or perhaps blow the dust off one of my CRT TVs and use it with my Roku player and an RF modulator.

TVs are like almost everything else these days--use them until they break down, then throw them out and get new. This has been going on for decades, and will not end as long as our electronics and most everything else are made in China and other offshore countries. It started in the '50s with those little transistor radios, and once the trend started there was no stopping it.

The only company that made radios (and TVs) worth repairing, IMHO, was Zenith, with their hand-wired chassis. I have two Zenith Trans-Oceanic solid-state radios from the '60s that still work after a fashion (one works but the dial cord is broken, on the other the AM and shortwave bands do not work anymore although the FM works beautifully), and I intend to hold on to both of them because, as I always say about older Zenith radios, TVs and stereos, they don't make them like that (handwired on metal chassis) anymore. Even my Zenith model R-70, which is from the early 1980s and was built on a PC board, although the radio is very solidly built and sounds great, is much, much better, IMHO, than most any of the one-chip plastic headphone stereos available at discount stores. Those older Zeniths will outlive these gutless wonders by many years. My T/Os are over 40 years old and are still going strong, and the R-70 is 35 years old and still plays as well as it probably did when it was new, which is more than I can say for any radio made offshore these days.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats strange that people are dumping LCD TVs at the goodwill drop box.All I see here is CRT TVs and CRT computer monitors.People dont read the signs around the boxes.They just want to upload their unwanted stuff there and save on cash what they would pay at the dump.Technically its illegal dumping.This town will fine people for that.In the past year I saw a couple of good looking Panasonic CRT sets in front of the box and a Widescreen CRT set there too at different times.I said I better leave them because I might get arrested and taking from the poor.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

ANY CRT that dies after a year or less--HAS to be "infant mortality".

I saw a number of those in the late 80's, -early 1990's, BRAND new tv sets with bad CRT"s. I did not even TRY to rejuv them...a new bad tube= JUNK.

Speculation on very early failure--contamination of the gun before evacuation. this wiull DRASTICALLY shorten life of the cathode.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I actually use a 32" 2009 Bravia KDL325000 as my everyday PC monitor (via HDMI), always been reliable. More I can say for three busted Samsung panels (two LCD, one plasma).
Audiokarma