Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I currently don't even have a tv newer than 1970, newest tv I've ever had was a 1991. And most of the time I still watch b/w, I have to be watching a color program I want to see in color before I fire up a color set. But the one piece of modern technology I do use is dvd players because it lets me watch whatever I want rather than being stuck with whatever's on. I probably would have stayed with older (late 70s-early 80s) vhs units rather than going to dvd, but the widespread availability of older 1950s-70s television shows (which is nearly all I like to watch) on dvd brought about the change for me. As far as computer monitors, I tend to do most of my work on a portable computer with the lcd display, but that's out of a need for portability rather than a desire for the lcd. When I'm at home reading websites like this I use a good old fashioned crt monitor. As far as audio I nearly exclusively listen to records through tube amps (mostly on tv-radio-phono combo consoles).
Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Out of range

CRT´s makes better pic`s.

In use in my house

1. Bang&Olufsen 32" 100Hz Avant
2. Bang&Olufsen 25" LX4500
1. Bang&Olufsen 28" LS6000
Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 AM
mike g

crt tv

I currently watch a 1976 caddy courner zenith chroma color . It works as good as new and i watch it for hours . My kitchen has a 1960 zenith b/w table top and i have a ge portacolor in the bedroom . They all work just fine with no issues . Being i aint a rich man i seem to be happy with what i got . The flat screens look nice however i wouldnt be spending that kinda of money on a tv that will break in five years . I pick up old sets at flea markets and yard sales for 5 or ten bucks , or even find them in the trash . I fix em up and they work just fine . As long as i can hook up the satalite tv or house antenna to the old stuff , thats what i will have .
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've found some of my best sets in the trash, just needing simple fixes. My line-up goes like this (all CRT by the way):

- GE portacolor 1966
-Zenith system 3 25" miniconsole 1979
-Zenith 19'' system 3 1981
-RCA colortrak 19" 1983 w/osd
-GE 12" b&w, magnavox 12"b&w
-Sony KV1712 1977
-Sony 35" late 90's
-Mitsubishi 1987 21" with the blue-tinted phosphor

All of these still work quite well and I enjoy watching them all. The ctc117 colrtrak is probably the nicest overall color rendition and brightness of em all, followed by the KV1712. No need to get rid of these for an hdtv, i mean I don't even watch much tv
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I must have around 75 tv sets around the house. All crt. I might bring home a non-crt tv, if it's free, maybe around the year 2020?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Dead from the neck up

All 49 of mine are CRT. Main watcher is my Zenith color combo. As far as the day I get an LCD or plasma, it ain't coming. THHHHHHHHH to plasma and LCD.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Five CRT sets in the house! Love the picture and the sets have real character - though the oldest in the house is from the early-80s and newest made in '03.

Though I was annoyed when a friend of mine kept recommending me a plasma or LCD sets to replace the perfectly working four year old CRT RPTV with a good picture which does not have HDMI, DVI or even VGA; just component and S-video. I keep telling him to buy one for me, if he's so content of convincing me. He shut his mouth.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Any one here will still use the C.R.T tv's for every day wathcing tv? (not just for nostalgy).
I will try to use the C.R.T. tv as long as I can. After my 2000 "Sony" Trinitron will pass away I'll try to find an used C.R.T. tv still working...
Is there something else besides CRT?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Choice of NR.... dbx

CRT here. I buy demo's cheap from where I work. Currently using a Daewoo 27"
that I got for $68 in the living room and a Magnavox 19" which was $33 in the bedroom.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

We have only CRT sets in the house... I switched to LCD computer monitors about 2 years ago, but for TV on NTSC, the CRT is still the best that I see.

Charles
Old 09-28-2007, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

From what I have seen at the various stores, CRTS look better on the lower resolution HDTV also. The flat screens look out of focus with lower resolution signals. Of course, they look great(at least when new) when a high resolution HDTV signal is applied.

The problem with CRTs and HDTV would be the aspect ratio. Usually, there are black bars at the bottom and top or part of the picture is lost. However, I have seen a few smaller screen CRTs with the correct aspect ratio.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

The only LCDs I own are in my laptops. All my TVs and monitors are CRT. I haven't been impressed enough by LCD or plasma to consider switching. Even the ones that do look good seem such poor value to me especially with the added costs of upgrading everything to provide the HD digital signal they need to look their best.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanmanor View Post
Same here
Dittos!!

I own a 13" 1985 or 1986 model Sony that is the "kitchen" Tv. it has the usual "trinitron" quality picture to it. It is digital tune and remote(but the remote is long gone, and who needs a remote for a kitchen tv anyway??) My mother mainly watches it when she wants to watch the news or something, and my sister has the projo in the family room tied up (which is most of the time). It had a bad regulator IC in it about 9 years ago, when I fixed it and put it in there. A"no cost" set, like all of my other sets.

I have a 1992 32" RCA CONSOLE tv in my bedroom, as my "daily driver". I got it about 3.5 years ago, when I worked for CC, it was a "junk" pick up for some sucker who bought some shitty new tv(which has probably died by now..)It is the WONDERFUL CTC 169 chassis, which was the last "good" RCA set made. (The last "OK" set RCA made was the CTC-195/197 series, last made in about 2001.) As is nearly always the case--the CRT is perfect, and the set needed only about $5 worth of caps and a diode to fix(some of which I did as PM for future problems), and I watch it daily, for all of my needs. ALL OSD operation,. S-video and composite inputs, PIP and all--and it was FREE too!! Since it is a 169 parts are VERY easy to get--and will be for a long time to come.

And the Projo is also a CTC 169 RCA sst, that I picked up a couple of months before I got the RCA console in 2004. It was a "shopping" find, and replaced a 1987 RCA projo model that was strarting to lose parts that are getting hard to find. It gets from 8-14 hours of use a DAY, from my sister--but the tubes STILL look wonderful!! Like the other CTC-169--parts are plentiful and will continue to be so, on the rare occasion that something fails.

So no, I own NO LCD or other NT-type sets for my normal watching. the ONLY non-CRT sets I have are my litle handheld LCD sets, (I have 3, one a 1986 model and a 1995 TFT model, both color, and a 1983 model BW lcd set)(the 2 older ones I got for "nostalgic" reasons for very little), and my portable DVD player I got last year about this time.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Curved-screens only here, and it will stay that way! I might get a flat one if I can figure out how to fit a decent fish tank in that narrow profile! hahahaha
Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 AM
AK Member

We have 5 CRTs here in the house. Would I like a new Plasma or LCD? Sure. But as long as these are working, I see no need to part with already scarce cash. Plus, I really don't watch a lot of TV.

Newest is a 36" Sony from about 7 years ago. I have two 27" Magnavox TVs from back in the late 80s. Both have been in use daily for 20 years. Funny thing is, both broke while under warranty. Both were fixed, and have worked flawlessly since. The kids have a couple of cheapos (Sanyo 25", and 19" Magnavox TV/VCR combo).

JD