Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Funny you would mention the little case Sandy. I just found a parts set (as mentioned above...it's a BASKET case!). Oddly...the set looks like it sat in the back of someone's barn with the tomcats for 30 years (but has a good CRT!). It came in the little blue case...and for some reason THAT is PERFECT. They were very obviously not together that whole time.

I'll likely start using it to carry things just for fun.....maybe even a nerdy occasional lunch pail. The parts set is now without it's CRT and some of it's external parts my other 303 were missing.....so it won't be hosting my existing 303W (because it already has a perfect case already). That case won't host a 305W either...because the UHF makes that set about 3/4" wider.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

As well as I remember, my dad paid something like $300 for my 303...A king's ransom in late '62. Oh, they gave you the TV, the little carrying case, the antenna matching doohickey, an earphone, a polishing cloth to keep it nice & clean, the owner's manual, & maybe a couple of other nick-nacks.. IIRC, the 303 was sold as a "Premium" product, as ALL Sony stuff tended to be, at least until the late '60s.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Brought mine out of storage the other day to see if it still powered up okay. I need to recap it and would love if someone had a actual sony service manual they want to maybe sell me. Just PM me and I'll consider buying a manual. Don't really want a Sams as I have all my other items in Sony manuals. Checked my KV-4000 out too, and it works good. Just need new buttons. Another project for another day. :-)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM
radiodayz

Sweet!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 AM
SONY NUT

No, trust me. I collect Sony from 1960 thru 5" Triniton kv5300. 5-303 are terrible for bad caps. I have bought 7 off eBay. Everybody claims ok. 1 out of 7 usuable with atsc decoder. I have spent 200.00 trying to fix one 303 with pristine case. I gave up and drove the tech nuts also. These sets have very cramped boards and look for 307 which came out 5 yrs later. Honest, I sell you a 303 for almost zero. I have boxes if them
Audiokarma
Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 AM
SONY NUT

I have 303 SAMs and Sony factory service manual. Google Sony supplement that actually tabulates field tech input bout specific component fault and resulting defects. My advice, say bye bye to 303
Old 11-10-2013, 12:18 AM
SONY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
As well as I remember, my dad paid something like $300 for my 303...A king's ransom in late '62. Oh, they gave you the TV, the little carrying case, the antenna matching doohickey, an earphone, a polishing cloth to keep it nice & clean, the owner's manual, & maybe a couple of other nick-nacks.. IIRC, the 303 was sold as a "Premium" product, as ALL Sony stuff tended to be, at least until the late '60s.
Sony 303 are nightmares to service. Sony had terrible b& w quality issues. Small Trinitrons much better