Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
AK Member

Blow up pics of the 741pcs Optical Barrel

Hi All,
Looking for an exploded view of the optical barrel and its components for a RCA 741PCS.
Am a bit unsure how to reassemble the sperical mirror back into the barrel. Also the Service manual mentions a corrector lense. Not sure if thats the sperical mirror or another optic.
Had the mirror pulled and sent out for recoat before I recieved the set. THe mirror is due back from coating shortly and after looking over the barrel this weekend I am unsure where and how it mounts. I don't want to make any mistakes with the newly coated mirror. I'm looking for either pics or drawings of the optical barrel and the mirror locations and mounts. THe RCA Service Manual and any other docs I've been able to get don't show any of this type of information.
Any help out there?????

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

How much detail do you need?

I have the service manual for the PTU-1, but even it doesn't have any exploded drawings of the optic barrel.

http://www.myvintagetv.com/rca_ptu1.htm

I think I have a couple of spare barrels around here someplace, if no one else can supply you with a closeup I'll try to find one of them for pictures. My sets aren't anywhere easy to get pictures right now.

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 AM
AK Member

Blow up pics of the optical barrel

Hi Chuck,
I'm a real newbee to the 741PCS PTU-1. I have the service manual for the 741 and as you say, there's no exploded pics of the barrel. Thanks for the link. THat helps alot for the alignment adjustments.
I'm having the spherical mirror recoated and should be back in my hands toward the end of this week. The upper flat is also out for recoating but several weeks out yet. I didn't remove the spherical mirror originally so the process of installing a mint mirror makes me a bit nervous. I've talked to John F on this and he reassured me its straight forward. I don't know, I like pictures before I risk glass. I'm planning to remove the barrel this weekend. John recommends I would have a easier time installing the mirror with it out. THe barrel will be easier to clean anyway.
I also have to repaint a black band about 1/4 inch at the center of the mirror. Since I've never seen the mirror up close this also makes me a bit nervous on a mint mirror.
I would have thought there would have been a restoration saga out there someplace maybe with pics. The RCA service techs must of had some training materials or supporting documentation on this barrel assembly to perform field work. I guess none survived or has been found as of yet. I guess once I pull the barrel this weekend, it'll fall into place. If you had pics already that would be sweet. But its not necessary to take any. I may do that for myself this weekend anyway. I'm sure I'll completely see the "light" once I dig into it.
Thanks for you help,
Jack
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jack,

John is correct putting the mirror back in the barrel is easy when it is out of the cabinet. The center depression on the spherical mirror needs to be painted black, so the high intensity light doesn't reflect back on the CRT face. I just use a flat black high temperature paint that is sold for repainting grills. It's in a spray can, just spray it into a bowl or plate then brush it one the mirror, doesn't need to be pretty.

You probably wasted money getting the flat mirror resilvered, I've found that there was very little improvement in screen brightness or quality with a new mirror. If you really want a clean flat mirror, a new back silvered mirror as thin as you can get works fine. Get one 1/8"-3/16" thick and use a thin backing board glued to the mirror if you need more thickness to reattach with the original hardware.

The correcting lens has a flat side and a curved side, you need to reinstall in correct orientation, I think the flat side is up. The lens corrects the reflected light so the rays converge to a point as they would if the mirror shape was parabolic instead of spherical.

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.