Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

fish tanked roundie

I could not even bring myself to post the link off CL. I have seen a few fishtanked sets but this was the 1st roundie color set.

NY area, nice looking french provincal cabinet. If the price was right at least someone could save that, but they want 2 bills for the dumb thing.

think it was under antique or vintage or console. ugh...
Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
RCA 741PCS

. View at your own peril.

Last edited by bandersen; 07-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

that's it, oy vey is mir
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

<barf>
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

What is that cabinet, a Magnavox?
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Think of it as a great picture with short the vertical sweep...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

seems like the blue gun is a bit weak
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
sampson159

i am appalled,shocked and completely discussted.what a waste of a beautiful roundie.what is this obsession with tv/fishtank conversions?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think it must be some wanna be designers that saw it somewhere, and have no clue what they are destroying.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some people honestly don't know that old TVs have value. There is currently a Predicta barberpole ("Perfecta") on eBay. The seller picked it off the curb. The previous owner put it out on a yard sale and it didn't sell, so off to the curb it went.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philco-Perfecta-...item1e5cdfdc9a

Looks complete. Current bid is $26.

Not to defend fishtankers -- I complain as loudly as anyone else -- but around here you can't give away plain-jane 1950s B/W consoles. I could fill a gymnasium with TVs that go unsold on craigslist. That goes double for combos with a radio & phono.

You can't expect the average Joe (or Jane) to know the difference between a worthless B/W console and, say, a 21-CT-55 color roundie. They look very similar, and to them, it's just "Grandma's old TV" that nobody bought at the yard sale.

Phil
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
No time for this hobby

Unfortunately with EVERY TV this will happen until they are worth more than the shipping to get them to the collector. I've been talking about this quite a bit. I know the few hundred of us on this sight can't do much about it but if we work with the "true" antique community prices will go up to the point that it is worth it to ship(save) these TV's. Obviously this set will be saved, being in New York and being a Predicta but the problem is the same with all the Post war, Pre 1960 TV's (Portables excluded because of the ease of shipping!). If you have been watching ebay there is a hardcore bunch of people that have set there prices in the $200+ range, Even $500 for a Zenith Roundie Console. Are they worth it? No, not now but just wait. This is how prices escalate and items become worthwhile to save. Yes its a double edge sword but it is worth it if you truely want to save these televisions. My last word is that if this guy thought he'd get enough(as with anybody) he'd ship the damn thing!
PSS. 1960's and up(Solid State) sets will have to stand on there own for now, value based on design, uniqueness and quality. There just not "vintage" or "antique" enough yet.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 PM
No time for this hobby

Unfortunately with EVERY TV this will happen until they are worth more than the shipping to get them to the collector. I've been talking about this quite a bit. I know the few hundred of us on this sight can't do much about it but if we work with the "true" antique community prices will go up to the point that it is worth it to ship(save) these TV's. Obviously this set will be saved, being in New York and being a Predicta but the problem is the same with all the Post war, Pre 1960 TV's (Portables excluded because of the ease of shipping!). If you have been watching ebay there is a hardcore bunch of people that have set there prices in the $200+ range, Even $500 for a Zenith Roundie Console. Are they worth it? No, not now but just wait. This is how prices escalate and items become worthwhile to save. Yes its a double edge sword but it is worth it if you truely want to save these televisions. My last word is that if this guy thought he'd get enough(as with anybody) he'd ship the damn thing!
PSS. 1960's and up(Solid State) sets will have to stand on there own for now, value based on design, uniqueness and quality. There just not "vintage" or "antique" enough yet.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
No time for this hobby

Sorry double post
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Convergence freak!

lame... I really don't understand peoples facination with fishtanking sets.. Loos totally stupid
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

walk in, look at it and say hmmm looks neat a fish tank in an old tv

OR..

walk in WOW how cool is that (after turning on and warming up to a nice vintage show) sit down check it out, plan to watch some more old stuff with friends over, learn some history of old tv, now become really hooked on how amazing all this old tech is and start to question the value of new stuff, learn and become involved in a great hobby

or

sprinkle on some fish food...

I guess it all comes down to initative, even if you are a complete noob, the internet can be a wonderful tool to learn about something you know nothing about.

Just take the 1 second to look something up before discarding.
Audiokarma