Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh well guess this is just turning into a soap box, preaching to the choir, sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

It was just a real shot to the gut to see it happen to such a nice looking roundie.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Vintage Geek

let's get back at em and fishtank a plasma
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 PM
RCA 741PCS

or put a TV chassis in a fishtank
Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Phil Nelson;2977621]"Some people honestly don't know that old TVs have value...Not to defend fishtankers -- I complain as loudly as anyone else -- but around here you can't give away plain-jane 1950s B/W consoles. I could fill a gymnasium with TVs that go unsold on craigslist. That goes double for combos with a radio & phono."

Well, then I'm a weirdo, because I would love to get my hands on a 1950s B&W console. In about 1974 we had a 21" 1950s Zenith with the big bug-eye knobs that we used as a 2nd set in the basement. My uncle(84 this month) would pick these up for $20 or so, change out a few caps, then give 'em to family or friends for the kiddies(who didn't "need" color or a newer set). My uncle & grandfather ran a small local radio-TV shop in Schenectady in the late 40s/early 50s.The Zenith he gave us was a metal cabinet set minus its swivel base.

But our main set was this RCA Victor CG305L from c.1964 or 1965. My parents' first new set. So to us kiddies having the Zenith was great, as we weren't missing much since both sets in the house were B&W. We lived in Milwaukee then & local indy UHF WITI-18 always ran the old Universal horror movies, Little Rascals, Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges. What a great way to get an appetite for the classics! I am going to try & get the 23ENP4 in this RCA sent out to Scotty before he closes at end of July. House has contractors crawling all over it due to 32 years of tree roots pushing in the foundation-so far 9 big trees gone(locust & mulberry) front walk & rear patios torn up, debris in yard-looks preety bad. So the house is a priority right now. Here's also a 1960s Magnavox on its 2nd CRT-an RCA Silverama. Uncle Joe gave us this one Easter weekend of 1979.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA1.jpg (44.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg RCA2 (2).jpg (74.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Dennman6; 07-15-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

If I need a fish tank, I'll go to a pet store.
What a waste.
I predicta that perfecta will go for big bucks.
Looks like it's in nice shape.
Bill Cahill
Audiokarma
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennman6 View Post
Well, then I'm a weirdo, because I would love to get my hands on a 1950s B&W console...
There are several for sale around NW Indiana / Chicago, IL if you're interested. Here's an RCA in Merrillville, IN for example: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/atq/1831413105.html
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dennman, I bet that Maggie has the 23" tube that I just found for my combo set. Your set looks almost like mine, including the safety glass and bezel.

Glad it works!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Dennman, I bet that Maggie has the 23" tube that I just found for my combo set. Your set looks almost like mine, including the safety glass and bezel.

Glad it works!
Yes, the Maggie I think is a beautiful set. Any idea as to year for this set? I will go upstairs & get the model info sometime this weekend. I think I remember seeing your set here on the forum. Yours seemed a little newer but I too recognized many similarities with faceplate, knobs, etc. The pic I posted was taken in 1993, but the set still works as well as you saw in the pic. Only now I'm getting an arcing from the HV cage, I think, that causes breakup up the picture. Got to get in there & see if I have flyback issues(maybe a slobbering of fresh new silicon will cure it.

Dennis Forkel
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd guess that Magnavox is a year or two earlier than mine (say '63-'64). My '65 used a 23MP4 that was replaced with a 23ALP4 or something close to that.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Not sure how I got here.

well..... NY has lots of hill billies, morons, and assorted idiots.