Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Can you tell us something about the person who collected/hoarded all these
TVs? Was he active in restoration?

Carl
Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes. The obituary says a little bit about his life. Published in Fort Bragg Advocate-News on Jan. 16, 2014:

Quote:
Ernest Henry Vann, 78, died Nov. 27, 2013, at his home in Sacramento. Ernie attended local schools and graduated in 1953. He worked with Al Moise as an apprentice printer until moving to San Francisco in 1961 as a printer for the Lombardo Liquor importing company. He moved to Sacramento in 1964 and, at his retirement, was a supervisor for the state's General Services Printing Plant.
Ernie was an electronics prodigy and, with friends, built one of the first TV sets in Fort Bragg as a youth. He was a regular on Cotton Auditorium lighting and sound crews for the Community Concert Series in the 1950s.
He developed an early appreciation for classical music and heirs plan to donate his large collection to an educational institution, as well as his extensive film collection. He was also a railroad aficionado.
The Vanns were early settlers of Westport, Shelter Cove, and Little River. Ernie's parents, Glenna and Milton Vann, predeceased him. He leaves an aunt, Loretta
Ceccon; and cousins, Luann Pritchard, Jeanne Duncan, Patrick Robbins, Ann Meadlin, Elaine Murray, Ernest Ceccon, and Lora Ceccon.
I only knew him as a customer and visited his home on two occasions to pick up and deliver, which was completely overtaken by these television sets and video in any and every format (1/2" tape, CED, laserdisc, VHS, DVD, Film etc.) Three bedrooms were stacked floor to ceiling with TVs and equipment; two were inaccessible and spilling into the hallway. He also had a penchant for collecting motorcycle leathers; several dozen of which were also sold off at the estate sale.

I gathered out of context that, toward the end of his life he could barely get around, and as he told me, "could only be active 1 hour per day." He was a restorer at heart, but really could not do the work himself due to poor eyesight and failing health. A Gentleman, nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 818f926d-0e81-4e7c-a5c6-65b20aef2f34.jpg (2.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I've got another set from this hoard restored -- the Raytheon P-301 7-inch porthole. This is a set I've always wanted, with its unmasked porthole screen, cool brass front panel, and faux alligator skin cabinet.

You can read more about it here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=3&t=268399 . But I'll post a few nice pictures of it here as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-301 front.jpg (63.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg P-301 side 800.jpg (95.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P-301 picture on screen 800.jpg (48.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Workin' Late Again

Wow! That looks perfect from here. That set must have spent most it's life in storage. Very sharp!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Lucky You!!!! Our fearless leader told me about them yesterday, but, I didn't know there was knowledge of it here. I'm glad you rescured them. Wish I had a couple of them.
Bill Cahill
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
Well, I've got another set from this hoard restored -- the Raytheon P-301 7-inch porthole. This is a set I've always wanted, with its unmasked porthole screen, cool brass front panel, and faux alligator skin cabinet.

You can read more about it here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=3&t=268399 . But I'll post a few nice pictures of it here as well.
I think another TV model will have to be added to my want list. After seeing that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Raytheon is almost beyond words. What a beauty. One day an O'scope woke up and it had grown up to be a television.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

I could use some parts for my Admiral 20X122, and, My RCA 8 TR 29. Can you help???
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Behind in Time

I'd be interested in any half inch reel to reel video recorders and associated "stuff".
Thanks.