Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

How can you say RACS can rebuild 15GP22 crt's???
You have ONE rebuilt tube. That rebuild as I understand it is only a few months old. Given the propensity for 15GP22's to reach atmospheric pressure, are you not counting your chickens before the egg hatches?
You will not tell anyone if it is a successful rebuild!!! HOW MANY HOURS OF ACTUAL USE DOES THIS ONE REBUILD HAVE??? Playing a dvd copy of The Wizard of Oz on special ocassions does not equate a successful rebuild.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

We have played the set for many, many hours. Yes, it is possible that the tube will fail in the future, but I think it is unlikely. The tube we had rebuilt was a worse case, with a huge leak at the junction between the metal and glass. The sealing method used by RACS (frit glass) appears to work well.

If the two tubes owned by Jerome Halphen are successfully rebuilt, I think we will be ready to recommend that collectors have their tubes done by RACS.

I stand by my statement that the successful rebuilding of 15GP22s is probable.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Guess we're drifting off topic but...

From a purely statistical basis I suppose it hasn't been proven. But you could say that about any rebuild. You could always have an undetectable small leak that would cause a problem decades later.

Once could have a minimum of 5 CRTs rebuilt and then see how they're doing 20 years later, but I suspect most would rather take the risk of having theirs rebuilt rather than waiting for the results of the test.

The repairs are based on knowledge of where the leaks are and the technology used to repair them has had years of success. I think that lends credence to Steve's optimism.

Operating hours probably doesn't prove much except to show that the guns will last. Thermal cycling might be important, but that will occur at the neck of the tube where leaks haven't been found, to the best of my knowledge.

RACS has shown they can seal the glass/metal interface leak. Of the tubes I've had the opportunity to see, thanks to John and Bob, the two most probably locations for leaks are the weld on the Ultor flange and the glass/metal interface.

I don't know if any of Jerome's have a leak at the weld, but seeing how RACS deals with that version of the leak will be interesting.

John
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
Guess we're drifting off topic but...

From a purely statistical basis I suppose it hasn't been proven. But you could say that about any rebuild. You could always have an undetectable small leak that would cause a problem decades later.

The repairs are based on knowledge of where the leaks are and the technology used to repair them has had years of success.
Well, it's gotten past infant mortality. And frit glass I think has been used quite well on vacuum florescent display, and probably is better than using epoxy and such (25 years ago where I worked, we had "Torr Seal" which was a white epoxy used by the guys using vacuum pumps and such)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

In questions to the seller, this is what I sent him:

The person who buys this set will be an expert on it and will know what he is buying. There will be no amateurs like yourself looking to buy it or would want to turn it into a fishbowl. The background info you give is very common knowledge among the collectors and easily found available by googling "CT100". As far as accusing ANY member of VideoKarma of being bovine excrement is disgusting. I am a proud member of VideoKarma and I just might be considered an expert on television as I have been doing it for over 45 years both in the consumer industry and as a broadcast engineer. There are also many members of VideoKarma that absolutely blow me away for their engineering skills in making these and other very complicated items work. Apparently you got into this set inexpensively and stand to do well on it and additionally, I suggest you tout it for what it is and leave out any reference to any club or individuals who may have offended you and sell it in a professional manner.

Here was his reply:

Hi Sir - You take yourself entirely too seriously. Part of the reason I have not tested the CRT electrically is because of advise from one of the videokarma members. All I was tring to convey was that TV collectors are as silly and persnickety as old car collectors, except worse. The fact that you felt the need to write me shows more about you than me. As far as the cabinet on my CT-100, it is about the same condition as the other one presently on eBay, except the sun faded side - If I were a crook I would not have posted a pic of that side. This cabinet can easily be restored, but then I know how to do that, but most collectors do not and will have to pay big bucks for the work. My CT-100 front is actually cleaner than the San Diego set - that whole set is sun faded, not just the one side. And its red stripe looks horrible, mine is nearly perfect, so don't tell mine is a piece of junk. Videokarma is made up of good guys and pirates, but a CT-100 tends to bring out the pirates!

Here was my additional reply:

First, I didn't call you a crook.
Second I didn't say there was anything wrong with your set as it looks nice and above average and certainly did not imply it was a piece of junk.
TV & car collectors are silly? Maybe so but just look at your ebay ad.
Pirates on VideoKarma? I find far more on ebay.

Last edited by julianburke; 08-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I met this seller when he lived in Missouri eight or so years ago. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

I agree that his listing conveys a bit of an attitude. I love reading these auction posts, but you have to wonder what a casual observer might think about all the negative comments about value, condition, etc that every auction thread contains. It's not like anyone has to buy this for his amount or even for $1.

The same holds true with a few other collector sites that I'm on. It's human nature to want to comment, just don't be shocked is someone calls it BS.

Travis
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

no takers at 4k
Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

A buyer would have to be an idiot to get involved with a sell with that kind of attitude. If the seller had just stuck to solid facts and pictures I bet it would have sold.