Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wish I was around in the early days of colour, would of been great to experience it and share a story, but I was born in 1981, long after colour was introduced even in Australia so the first colour program I would of seen was whatever was on when I got my first glimpse of the family TV hehehehe.

I will however share a story of my first glimpse of really early colour television footage. Back in late 1990 when the movie Ghost was playing in cinemas everywhere, The Righteous Brothers 1965 hit "Unchained Melody" became a massive hit once again and I often saw the 1965 Andy Williams Show performance of that song played on Rage on a regular basis as the song charted at No.1 here for 7 weeks. Anyways back then I thought the song and the TV performance was brand new, I had NO idea that TV clip was done way back in 1965 until about 2004 when I got a hold of a VHS bootleg copy of various Andy Williams Show artist appearances which included that clip, that was a blowout for me. It can be viewed here on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewO_g...eature=related .

I also will mention my first glimpse of even earlier colour footage was some Osmonds excerpts from The Andy Williams Show 1962-64 which I saw back in 2000 on a Donnie Osmond documentary, that totally blew me out that colour was that good back then and seeing that footage kickstarted my interest in researching and getting a hold of colour television footage from the earliest days of colour and have since accumulated a lot of colour footage from 1958 to 1965 from various sources and have been totally amazed with how good colour was in its earliest years!!!