Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Convergence freak!

Yeah, im tempted to send you my ctc-16 chassis to see if yoiu could go over it!! (of course thats up to you)
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

WOW Doug!!!
That set is tremendous!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 AM
VK Member

Hi Dough,

you did an excellent job. Thank you very much for your detailed report.

BTW: did the wax of the LOPT melted before? Did you adjust the horizontal output current? What is the temperature of the LOPT after one hour?

Kind regards.
Eckhard
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
roundie not so n00b

let me know how much it is to restore my 21-T639 :d

i asked first

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you for the kind comments. I try do repair sets as though as if it left the factory that way. I always like neat and clean solder. Removing all old leads from the terminal lugs is a must when replacing a part. Many teks simply make repairs from above the chassis on pc boards, which I hate. I understand that they need to get the job done and move on, but in the case or restoration, you have the time to do it right.
This set was enjoyable to work on as I was the first one who attempted to restore it. I started the recap last sunday (10-14) and worked on it about 2-3 hours each night that week. Finished up the other details and reinstalled the chassis this past sunday.

Eckhard, the horizontal output transformer runs very cool after 1 hour. Using a infared thermometer, The hotest point of the transformer that I could get a good reading of (top of the secondary winding) is 54.4 degrees C (130 F) which is very cool. This temp is just slightly luke warm to the touch. The cathode current is a consistent 190 mA which is good. The efficiancy coil slug seized which is typical of an rca. I have not attempted to free it. The sweep section is operating excellent and dont want to risk damaging the coil just to lower it a possible few mA's. If the current were 210 mA +, then I would start to be concerned. I have it on as I write this and its been playing for nearly 2 hours this evening.

The sweep transformer has NO wax dripping or residue at all which surprizes me to say the least. Very clean and dry. Its even the orignal unit.

Last edited by drh4683; 10-23-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
... the horizontal output transformer runs very cool after 1 hour. Using a infared thermometer, The hotest point of the transformer that I could get a good reading of (top of the secondary winding) is 54.4 degrees C (130 F) which is very cool. This temp is just slightly luke warm to the touch. The cathode current is a consistent 190 mA which is good. The efficiancy coil slug seized which is typical of an rca. I have not attempted to free it. The sweep section is operating excellent and dont want to risk damaging the coil just to lower it a possible few mA's. If the current were 210 mA +, then I would start to be concerned. I have it on as I write this and its been playing for nearly 2 hours this evening.
This is absolutely OK. You can even lower it by reducing the mains voltage a little bit with a variac.

The horizontal output current in my set was appr. 200 mA. I couldn't adjust the efficiancy coil slug. I have simply added another coil slug in the efficiancy coil and with it I could reduce the horizontal output current to 180 mA.

BTW: Does somebody knows what happened with the AK'ers in the Los Angeles and San Diego aerea? Are they in safety?

- Eckhard
Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
This is absolutely OK. You can even lower it by reducing the mains voltage a little bit with a variac.

The horizontal output current in my set was appr. 200 mA. I couldn't adjust the efficiancy coil slug. I have simply added another coil slug in the efficiancy coil and with it I could reduce the horizontal output current to 180 mA.

BTW: Does somebody knows what happened with the AK'ers in the Los Angeles and San Diego aerea? Are they in safety?

- Eckhard
Hi Eckhard,

I can't speak for all AK'ers in So. Cal. but I have not heard of any forum members in major distress. Hopefully all are well. For those not directly in peril in the fire areas, the smokey air makes for sore throats and some breathing problems. The smoke here in Hollywood/Los Angeles was especially troublesome today as the winds die down, a good thing for firefighters, but allows the stagnant air to hang over the city.
Cooler, off shore air, and higher humidity should arrive by the weekend. Hats off to the firefighters. And prayers for the victims of this disaster.

-Steve D.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Hi Eckhard, I can't speak for all AK'ers in So. Cal. but I have not heard of any forum members in major distress. Hopefully all are well. For those not directly in peril in the fire areas, the smokey air makes for sore throats and some breathing problems. The smoke here in Hollywood/Los Angeles was especially troublesome today as the winds die down, a good thing for firefighters, but allows the stagnant air to hang over the city.
Cooler, off shore air, and higher humidity should arrive by the weekend. Hats off to the firefighters. And prayers for the victims of this disaster.
Hi Steve, thank you very much for your report. Tonight on television, we saw many interview with people from the San Diego aerea which have lost their home and houses, and still they all can not imagine what had happened. My father and his family have also lost their home, but this was due to the communist's expropriation in 1953. These are experiences which throw a shadow over people for decades.

- Eckhard