Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683
How many of you are able to pull in AM 780 WBBM from chicago? I went on a trip to florida back in 2000 I brought my TO royal 3000 with me (before 911, they aloud me to bring my TO onto the plane as a carry on) I picked up the station excellent in Naples. Ive heard its an "easy to dx" station. Just curious. WBBM is a 50KW station broadcast from the Sears Tower.
After dark (EST), WBBM booms in at my location near Lake Erie (Fairport Harbor, Ohio, near Cleveland) as if it were local.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

How about that AM in Cuba on 570AM with the time signal seconds tick overlayed on the talk-radio audio all the time. At the top of the minute is the time tone followed by a Morse code signal ("RR" I think) coming in to Philadelphia. Either CMNA at 10kw or CMEA at 30kw. There are a few US 570 stations with a nighttime 5kw rating that may interfere.

Heard it tonight on the car radio 50 miles north of Phila. Any corrections appreciated.

Dave A
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683
How many of you are able to pull in AM 780 WBBM from chicago? I went on a trip to florida back in 2000 I brought my TO royal 3000 with me (before 911, they aloud me to bring my TO onto the plane as a carry on) I picked up the station excellent in Naples. Ive heard its an "easy to dx" station. Just curious. WBBM is a 50KW station broadcast from the Sears Tower.
I can pull in WBBM loud and clear here in Southeast Minnesota, and also was able to pull it in on occasion when I lived in Nebraska. I can also receive WLS and WGN here in MN as well.

Here in MN I've been able to catch WABC from New York and KOA from Denver on occasion.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Maybe 15-18 years ago I picked up Mexico City on my Philco model 90 using a metal window frame as an antenna. Station XEW was (is) 250,000 watts, and I picked up the very, very weak signal at 1-2 in the morning. On another occasion I was using one of my Zenith Trans-Oceanics with built-in antenna (either a 1000 or a 3000, can't remember for sure). Station KSDO here in San Diego signed off on 1130 KHz, and when the carrier went down, KWKH in Shreveport, LA came in. This was at about 2 in the morning or so. On another occasion with the Zenith I was able to pick up WLS in Chicago. Again in the wee hours and all of this DX went on in winter time. It sure was a lot of fun to DX!!

Gilbert
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Back when there were clear channels...

Copied the then WCAU-AM, a NJ-based (just across the T-P bridge from Philly) 50-kW one-tower omnidirectional clear channel on 1210 kHz, on a Heath 'hi-fi' AM tuner with a hank of wire for an antenna. I was a stone's-throw away from Nenana, Alaska, circa 1961. Also, during the same period and at the same location, the then WHN, 1050 kHz, from NYC.
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What about FM? I picked up a station in Warner-Robbins, Georgia, in Surgoinsville, Tennessee in a '79 Cutlass on its in-dash radio...On top of my grandmother's apartment was an FM antenna that, until the lead wire fell off, I could routinely pull in Atlanta stations, & stuff out of Raleigh/Durham in Rogersville...I had one of those JVC 4.5" color TV/AM/FM boomboxes, admittedly NOT the world's greatest DXing machine, but hooked up to that antenna, it came ALIVE on FM..
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Back about 25 years ago, I was working the night shift at the old WDGY-1130 in Minneapolis...50KW days and 25KW nights...with an EXTREMELY tight night pattern beamed a little east of north. So tight, you could be driving in to the city from the south, see the lights on the 9 tower array, and barely hear the station. Well, one day I pull a packet from my mailbox covered with strange foreign stamps. Inside was a note, and a cassette from a DXer in Finland! On the tape was 10-15 minutes of my show!! There was some fading evident, but the signal was damn good. Needless to say the fellow got a QSL card, a bumper sticker and a coffee mug for his efforts! Even at 25KW, antenna gain in the main lobe gave an effective power of approximately 530KW...more than enough to make it over the pole. In fact, the station's Chief Engineer claimed the Russians had operated a jammer on 1130 during the height of the Cold War in the early 60's...evidently that decadent Western rock n roll was coming in like a local!
And, like other posters have mentioned, the mushrooming of stations operating at night on clear channels (even at ridiculously low power levels) has taken a lot of fun out of AM DXing. There's still some catches out there, though. Nearly every night in the dead of winter I could pick up a station on 530 from, I think, the island of Anguilla in the Carribean. 50KW on a relatively unpopulated frequency seems to work well. Same holds true for the expanded AM band from 1610 to 1710 khz...relatively unpopulated, and with slightly better propagation afforded by the higher MW frequency. Years ago, when the skip zones were aligned right, PJB, Trans World Radio 800kHz from Bonaire in the Netherlands Antilles was an easy catch in North America. An honest 500Kw helped do the trick, too. And, if the skip zones WEREN'T aligned right, XRock 80 out of Juarez at 150Kw occupied the frequency.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, some really impressive stuff here. So should it be possible that, given the right conditions and equipment, an LA listener (for example) might pick up a Boston station? I'd imagine it would have to be nearly perfect conditions, but could it conceivably be done?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A
How about that AM in Cuba on 570AM with the time signal seconds tick overlayed on the talk-radio audio all the time. At the top of the minute is the time tone followed by a Morse code signal ("RR" I think) coming in to Philadelphia. Either CMNA at 10kw or CMEA at 30kw. There are a few US 570 stations with a nighttime 5kw rating that may interfere.

Heard it tonight on the car radio 50 miles north of Phila. Any corrections appreciated.

Dave A
That's "Radio Reloj" (Radio Clock), it is sort of a Cuban radio version of CNN where it is a news station. When I can't get Art Bell/George Noory/Ian Punnett on 104.7 Mc FM here in Pittsburgh, I listen to it on WKBN (that's the talk station you might be hearing) 570 kc out of Youngstown, OH. There are times though that even here in Pittsburgh, Radio Reloj "walks over" WKBN.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

My records, well, 1610 KDIA (IIRC) from Berkeley, CA on my 1994 Ford Explorer's radio. I also received the Carribean Beacon on my DX-440 out of Anguila in the West Indies. I did receive a 1 kw station on 1620 out of College Station, TX on my little 8 transistor Magnavox. I did get WWV on 2500 kc on my grandfather's 5 tube 1953 Philco 2 bander using the internal antenna.
Audiokarma
Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Geek

Is this considered cheating?

http://www.west.net/~jay/ariss.html
Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Near and Far Horizons

Well, not counting Shortwave (Radio Japan, Australia, Radio Moscow, etc.), I would have to say that one morning early waiting for a haircut before dawn in the winter I was sitting in my car listening to a station in Atlanta...I was at the south shore in CT. On a regular basis, in the evenings, I listen to stations in Virginia 1110 AM, Chicago, Canada, etc.

In the early mornings on Saturday I listen to the Old Military Radio Net on 3.885 MHz--a few weekends back I was listening to a fellow in Punta Gorda in Florida from up here in CT--clear as a bell--excellent skip--just the interior telescoping antenna on my little portable Sony radio...most of the other Hammers were from NJ. CT, RI, ME, MA, etc.

I love radio.

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Walker-I used to LOVE to listen to the hi-jinx on 3868, 3898, 3894...There was one guy Zimbabwe Jim, I think he lived in Virginia, who could stir 'em up just by keyin' his mike...Ever got a "numbers" station? Ever got a Pirate?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Near and Far Horizons

Oh yes, Oh yes there Sandy. There were some REAL clowns on about 2 or 3 nights ago on about 3.895, I think. Keyin', belchin, laughin' and havin' a gud ol' time yessir! Some guy was also playin' some prerecorded sound effects er sumpin'.

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, the byrds on 3898 & 3894 would get into a "war" w/each other"-Why, I'll give you a Good, Old-Fashioned Radio Ass-Whuppin'..." <grin> They'd insult each other's radios, bird dogs, mamas, spouses...