Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Early color had few distractions

Looking at the difference between Hdtv and the birth of color, there is no contest when it comes the the number of distractions in each era.

Early color almost seemed like something aliens dropped off in the fifties by mistake. When a color program came on it was a big deal!

With hi-def sure the picture is amazing but you almost expect to see something like that in todays busy technological advances.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman View Post
you almost expect to see something like that in todays busy technological advances.
You are absolutly right, people (me included) are very spoiled by technology and i often find myself taking all the 'behind the scenes' stuff for granted. I dont have HD tv, my father does as i mentioned in another post, and i have to say it was pretty cool watching the world series in HD. Its definatly a technological feat but like you said, most people dont really appreciate it cause computers are so integrated into our lives that weve come to expect everything to be outdated year to year. Most people buy new cars every few years as the new cooler, more advanced ones with more gizmos come out.

that being said the people i see around these boards are more realistic. Im a mechanic as some may know, so i see the behind the scenes stuff with regard to vehicle technology, and the things that are in the wings are preaaly pretty amazing. Most of you all are electronic techs, so you see the behind the scenes of all the things most people take for granted. I own 2 vehicles. A 13 year old Saturn, and a 20 year old S10 pickup. I dont own a TV that i bought new, only ones ive found or got for free. Even the computer im using is from a bank thet was giving stuff away when they upgraded. Maybe im different in what i expect. Maybe we here at the forums, since we have the technical backgrounds we have(mixed they may be) have a deeper appreciation for the really pretty amazing things technology affords us. Im just glad there are people who get new stuff for no good reason cause it supplies us with 'new' stuff too
Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 PM
sampson159

early color was a big event in the household.everyone crowded around the set and the anticipation! now,we all have hd in every room. the excitement is gone.i watch hd myself and its not too thrilling. but to watch something on an old roundie or a zentih chromacolor-thats an event to me!!!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, most of us who are "Of a Certain Age"-Harrumpf...-remember all the ads on TV & in magazines for it. Remember the little cartoon man who kept going, "WOW ! I saw Color TV ! RCA new Color TV !" back in the early/mid 60s..Shrewd marketing by RCA BTW...The ads appealed to kids, the kids started haranging their parents, in order to get the kids to STFU & regain peace, a spanking new RCA Color TV was purchased...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
kids started haranging their parents, in order to get the kids to STFU & regain peace, a spanking new RCA Color TV was purchased...
Phooey: I tried that from about age 5 all the way to teens... Still a 21" GE B&W console, and a 12" portable Hitachi color set in my mother's bedroom. All my friends' parents had a REAL color set in the livingroom... Most of them roundies. Our first big color set was a Packard-Bell 21CT7 roundie console that I dragged home and fixed up... I was about 12 years old.

Charles
Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Charles, did you have a sister ? If so, you shoulda enlisted her..That's the way I got stuff...Told my sister we had to have it, she'd start workin' on my dad...Next thing you knew....Hehehehe..My old man didn't stand a chance once my sister got started on him...She'd plop on his lap, lay her head on his shoulder, start goin' "Daaaaaaaaaad-Deeeeeeee....." bat her eyes, tickle his chin, he'd fume & snort, but 90% of the time he'd give in...Sometimes, I kinda felt sorry for him once she got her claws in...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

No sister. Only child. No Dad either... My mother and grandmother raised me in my grandmother's house. After I wrote that post, I remember that the only reason that there was the GE 21" B&W set in the livingroom is that my Grandma won it in a contest at the grocery store... Otherwise, we wouldn't have had one at all. I guess my family was part of the anti-TV movement that believed TV would put an end to reading and family time... My mother bought the little Hitachi color set for her bedroom because her co-workers would talk all the time at work about their favorite TV shows, and my Grandma wouldn't allow any TV watching in the livingroom except for news and Lawrence Welk. So that, in combination with my interest in the technical aspects of TV, is what started my TV hobby at age about 9.

Charles